Work Experience Section

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Do you use the STAR format for Work Experience sections? Do you elaborate on the skills that you learn during your internships or is it supposed to be factual-based i.e. explaining what you did in detail?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Do you use the STAR format for Work Experience sections? Do you elaborate on the skills that you learn during your internships or is it supposed to be factual-based i.e. explaining what you did in detail?

I always mention the skills I learnt/solidified through the tasks I completed and link it to the role of a commercial solicitor (max 2 lines). GR teams at open days and law fairs always stress the importance of this so I don’t see no harm in doing it ;)

Reactions: gricole

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    I always mention the skills I learnt/solidified through the tasks I completed and link it to the role of a commercial solicitor (max 2 lines). GR teams at open days and law fairs always stress the importance of this so I don’t see no harm in doing it ;)

Hi @Selma95 this may be an obvious question, however, how would you directly link what you learnt/achieved in your work experience to that of a commercial solicitor?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I never did tailor my answers to a commercial solicitor. I only focused on what I did. However, I think I remember Paul in a recent S&S video suggesting you should. This one is a bit up in the air for me and I've seen both approaches in applications.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I never did tailor my answers to a commercial solicitor. I only focused on what I did. However, I think I remember Paul in a recent S&S video suggesting you should. This one is a bit up in the air for me and I've seen both approaches in applications.

Agree with jaysen, honestly, I do not think it matters but it won’t hurt to just add a line linking the skill you learnt to the role.

Reactions: Jaysen

yanerlim

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    This is how I structured mine: your role generally, your role specifically (what did you do in-depth), transferable skills you have learnt and the outcome of your role. (How did it affect your team members etc)

Example:
    I interned with a production house and participated in the production of a historical documentary. I conducted significant historical research and collected archives for the documentary. Furthermore, I organised the documentary's footages and produced transcripts. I developed project management skills such as organising my workload and time management. I also gained an insight into the production of a documentary. with my contribution and the collaboration between my team, the documentary was successfully released on the deadline we arranged for and it was aired nationwide.

• 🏆
    Reactions: CF and Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.