TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealellewoods

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 20, 2022
    Thanks so much for your insight. I'm feeling a lot more positive about the application process now
    You’re welcome! Sorry I meant to say mine is actually a national firm - and I have no prior experience in commercial so yeah you’ll be fine and don’t even write off VS’s yet hopefully you’ll get one anyways 🤩

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thanks so much for your insight. I'm feeling a lot more positive about the application process now
    Just to balance out, I found it really hard to secure a legal role post graduating (graduating in 2020 didn't help too) and spent a year and now have an administrative role in a large law firm. My experience is based on London though

RachelLouise22

Distinguished Member
    Jan 30, 2021
    Just to balance out, I found it really hard to secure a legal role post graduating (graduating in 2020 didn't help too) and spent a year and now have an administrative role in a large law firm. My experience is based on London though
    I can second this, I found the paralegal market in my city (Leeds) difficult to access and highly competitive. I had to take an assistants role first and leverage this into paralegaling about 7 months after graduating. It definitely helps if you have a language skill the role requires (I definitely do not). For me, I edged out other candidates by having experience working for a large client of the department I work in but this is quite niche (social housing) so if you have any unique skills/experiences I’d try use those!

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Yeah I think London and other large cities are very different to anywhere else. they are very competitive markets due the the desire people have to live in certain locations and particularly in certain types of law - a paralegal role I secured had over 1000 applicants.

therealellewoods

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 20, 2022
    I can second this, I found the paralegal market in my city (Leeds) difficult to access and highly competitive. I had to take an assistants role first and leverage this into paralegaling about 7 months after graduating. It definitely helps if you have a language skill the role requires (I definitely do not). For me, I edged out other candidates by having experience working for a large client of the department I work in but this is quite niche (social housing) so if you have any unique skills/experiences I’d try use those!
    Im in Sheffield for context although I was living in london before moving back and did have a few interviews

Zubin

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Has anyone not received the tests from Mayer Brown after submitting an application for a vs? I thought they were automatic but doesn't seem so
    These tests are sent after application review. I received mine along with a "Congratulations, we would like to progress your application to the next stage..." type email. Hope this helps :)

Zubin

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Just received my first ever VS offer from Macfarlanes! I am so over the moon. It's been such a trying journey to get here - over 40 applications, two cycles, and lots of improvement to my knowledge and skills along the way.

For those who are still on their journey, trust me, your time will come! Just keep at it with your preparation, commercial awareness development, and application writing. One of the biggest mistakes I made was applying to a ton of different firms and not understanding what it was about those specific firms which appealed to me, rather than making a few, tailored applications that truly reflected my interests.

Good luck to everyone! Now onto more ACs and interviews... grind don't stop!

Y-Gurl

Dec 2, 2021
    Has anyone else had something like this from a firm after applying and doing a VI? See below from Eversheds:

"Thank you for your application to our summer vacation scheme. We have been overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of applications and we were very impressed with your application and video interview.
    Unfortunately we only have a limited number of spaces on our assessment days and at this stage, we are unable to bring you forward. However if a space does become available we will be in touch again.
    We will confirm a final outcome either way by 4 March. "

I am thinking I should just write it off as a pfo.... Can anyone shed any light? @Jessica Booker ?
    Thanks very much.

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: OB and Commerciallaw

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Has anyone else had something like this from a firm after applying and doing a VI? See below from Eversheds:

"Thank you for your application to our summer vacation scheme. We have been overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of applications and we were very impressed with your application and video interview.
    Unfortunately we only have a limited number of spaces on our assessment days and at this stage, we are unable to bring you forward. However if a space does become available we will be in touch again.
    We will confirm a final outcome either way by 4 March. "

I am thinking I should just write it off as a pfo.... Can anyone shed any light? @Jessica Booker ?
    Thanks very much.
    Sounds sort of like a waitlist. Wouldn't consider it a PFO but wouldn't keep my hopes high either.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    @Jessica Booker maybe you'll have some insight on this but would you say it's worth a direct TC app with 1 week private practice and 3 weeks in house legal (both city/multinational)? So broken from VS rejections that I don't want to go through it if unlikely to get past app stage
    I would encourage you to apply for direct TCs with the experience you have, especially if you feel they're better suited to your background, however, please know that they're not easier than VS apps.

I feel for you when you say you're broken from VS rejections- do you think you'll benefit from taking a short break from apps to reflect on your experiences, where you can improve and what's been working for you well? I did this after having a string of back-to-back rejections and it really helped me draw out my motivations for a career in commercial law, life experiences that made an impact on me, areas of my application that I needed to work on and helped me understand my strengths and USP.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.