TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I received a TC offer and need to complete the PGDL first. They said their next available opening was for March 2025 so I can’t start the PGDL until January 2023. I was wondering if delaying it (I was hoping to start it in September 2022) is an issue?
No - shouldn’t be an issue at all. You could choose to do it in either intake if you really wanted to, although with the SQE, you may not want to have too much of a gap between the GDL and your SQE prep course.

• Love
Reactions: aspiringlawyer22

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone else had something like this from a firm after applying and doing a VI? See below from Eversheds:

"Thank you for your application to our summer vacation scheme. We have been overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of applications and we were very impressed with your application and video interview.
Unfortunately we only have a limited number of spaces on our assessment days and at this stage, we are unable to bring you forward. However if a space does become available we will be in touch again.
We will confirm a final outcome either way by 4 March. "

I am thinking I should just write it off as a pfo.... Can anyone shed any light? @Jessica Booker ?
Thanks very much.
No - you are on hold. You could be invited if they have enough candidates withdraw from the recruitment process. That is a possibility but at the same time might not happen either.

Reactions: bananak

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I'm wondering if I should follow up on some of my applications - I've seen people who applied on the same day as me or after already get VI/AC offers when I have heard nothing... e.g. W&C, Hogan Lovells, Akin, Sidley... Anyone in the same boat?
Have any of those been closed for over a month?

h1

Esteemed Member
Oct 12, 2020
I would encourage you to apply for direct TCs with the experience you have, especially if you feel they're better suited to your background, however, please know that they're not easier than VS apps.

I feel for you when you say you're broken from VS rejections- do you think you'll benefit from taking a short break from apps to reflect on your experiences, where you can improve and what's been working for you well? I did this after having a string of back-to-back rejections and it really helped me draw out my motivations for a career in commercial law, life experiences that made an impact on me, areas of my application that I needed to work on and helped me understand my strengths and USP.
Thanks! I do appreciate they're not easier, maybe even harder but I want to secure a TC ASAP. I think I'll take a month's break considering the deadlines are months away and see how I feel. I just had a dream firm rejection which was the worst! I'll pull through though. Thank you again

• 🤝
Reactions: anon123456789 and Rob93

abelegrant

Feb 26, 2021
Hi all,

Has anyone completed the Video Interview for Vinson & Elkins for the 2021-22 cycle? If so, I would like to ask two questions.

Firstly, are you allowed to record your answer as many times as you like? (this was the case last year, unsure if this is so this year and am hesitant to commence the process prematurely.)

Secondly, how would you recommend preparing? Any insight into the nature of the questions asked and how to prepare would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi! I completed the VI for this application cycle! You can rerecord your answer as many times as you like. Whilst that sounds amazing (and is super helpful for having the time to plan an answer), it can be really stressful thinking the answer has to be perfect. No matter how many times you rerecord it will never be as good as you want it to!

I'd recommend preparing by just thinking about yourself and why you want to work for V&E and why you think you deserve a spot. There aren't really competency questions it's more just looking for self-reflection. The first question is a 90-second response and the final two questions are only 30-second answers.

Hope this helps!

• 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: AvniD, MzM, OB and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.