TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillF

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
✨✨✨✨✨✨ manifesting an offer for Reed Smith today ✨✨✨✨✨✨

The AC i had two weeks ago went poorly :')
OMG, i had a missed call at 5:05pm and they left a voicemail - it was graduate recruitment from Reed Smith!! 😳😳😳 I missed the call because of an EU lecture - just my luck!

They asked me to phone them back or email, so i phoned them immediately after my lecture at 5:55pm and no answer - they must have finished for the day.

Half of me is extremely excited as phone calls (i believe) are generally a good sign, but the other half of me is terrified it will just be a rejection but they wanted to give feedback.... 🥲🥲

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
OMG, i had a missed call at 5:05pm and they left a voicemail - it was graduate recruitment from Reed Smith!! 😳😳😳 I missed the call because of an EU lecture - just my luck!

They asked me to phone them back or email, so i phoned them immediately after my lecture at 5:55pm and no answer - they must have finished for the day.

Half of me is extremely excited as phone calls (i believe) are generally a good sign, but the other half of me is terrified it will just be a rejection but they wanted to give feedback.... 🥲🥲
I would send an email just to recognise you have missed the call and mention that you will try and give them a call when you are available tomorrow morning. You could also explain when you will be free tomorrow if they do want to also call you back.

Reactions: LS_1998 and WillF

Han.louise

Distinguished Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
May 28, 2020

Manifesting this for you😇

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
1) I am not convinced many recruiters are actually looking at LinkedIn in the first place

2) If they do, it's a risky tactic - in many instances, it might actually put a negative spin on how I viewed someone (as I would consider them more interested in the other firm).
I have had various Grad Recs contact me when I updated my LinkedIn (however they were largely competing MC firms). This is also true for five of my other friends. A few of my friends received straight TC offers from their VS Interviews as a result of this too.

I'm not sure how to view your second response - that may be true for some Grad Recs, but when I had flagged my other offers directly to Grad Rec (or discussed it when they contacted me) or during interviews for Vacation Schemes (as I appreciate competing TC offers are genuinely more worthwhile as leverage), I feel I was viewed more favourably. It also gave me a good opportunity to re-affirm why I'm interested in the firm I'm interviewing in, because you can use it as an opportunity to tell them that you're waiting on said firm, that you're more interested in them, etc.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and GXA123

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I have had various Grad Recs contact me when I updated my LinkedIn (however they were largely competing MC firms). This is also true for five of my other friends. A few of my friends received straight TC offers from their VS Interviews as a result of this too.

I'm not sure how to view your second response - that may be true for some Grad Recs, but when I had flagged my other offers directly to Grad Rec (or discussed it when they contacted me) or during interviews for Vacation Schemes (as I appreciate competing TC offers are genuinely more worthwhile as leverage), I feel I was viewed more favourably. It also gave me a good opportunity to re-affirm why I'm interested in the firm I'm interviewing in, because you can use it as an opportunity to tell them that you're waiting on said firm, that you're more interested in them, etc.
I think in the specific context of flagging offers to recruiters to express that you want to go to *this place,* sure - I did this recently with competing paralegal offers - but if it's just a LinkedIn posting you're not communicating that preference. Ultimately it probably doesn't have a huge impact one way or the other on LinkedIn, but I see where Jessica is coming from.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I find it surprising that MC firms are doing this to be honest. Will be interesting to find out why when I catch up with them next.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
this is my first AC so i wanted to ask if when i book my ac matters? is it better if i do it earlier or can i give myself some more time to prepare
Is it for W&C? If so, it does not matter! With some firms it may make a difference but with the vast majority it will not :)

Reactions: Adrian_S and CC03
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.