TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
Purely out of curiosity, what are people thoughts on posting about a Vacation Scheme offer on LinkedIn? Is it a good thing to do, are there any negatives or is it ultimately personal choice?

I’m seeing a lot of posts pop up on my feed, hence the question.
It's a pretty good tactical choice if you want to put pressure on other firms that are considering you.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Purely out of curiosity, what are people thoughts on posting about a Vacation Scheme offer on LinkedIn? Is it a good thing to do, are there any negatives or is it ultimately personal choice?

Fine if you are accepting the offer - really odd to do it if you aren’t (which I have seen and I don’t think is in great taste personally).

'VS Offer Holder at [Firm]' as a work experience line item always seems really strange to me! You didn't do any work!
    There’s solid arguments for and against.

Pros: it’s a very difficult achievement you worked hard for, and it makes it easier for others to identify you and perhaps reach out with application questions of their own.

Cons: you really haven’t done any work yet so it’s not really appropriate to call it a “job title”, it’s literally a 2 week placement (provided you don’t accept the offer), and (this is the weakest argument but I do want to offer it) a lot of associates find it cringey.

I think Jess’ approach makes sense - if you accept the offer then fair play. Personally I don’t think I’d put it on unless I accepted a TC.

Reactions: 22.m and rose0904

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    'VS Offer Holder at [Firm]' as a work experience line item always seems really strange to me! You didn't do any work!
    Exactly - no one else puts in the jobs that they turned down on their LinkedIn or CVs, so I find it slightly bizarre that people think this is fine to do.

It is fine if you say "Upcoming Vacation Scheme Student" or something of those lines - that is fine with me, the same as people put "Future Trainee Solicitor". But you have to be expecting to start/complete that opportunity.

coffeeshops

Standard Member
    Feb 17, 2022
    Hi! Has anyone got an AC or interview invite from farrer or withers for their summer schemes? Still waiting to hear back and not sure whether to just expect a PFO now! Thanks so much in advance - this forum has been really helpful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It's a pretty good tactical choice if you want to put pressure on other firms that are considering you.
    1) I am not convinced many recruiters are actually looking at LinkedIn in the first place

2) If they do, it's a risky tactic - in many instances, it might actually put a negative spin on how I viewed someone (as I would consider them more interested in the other firm).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: 22.m and Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Coped with my Farrer PFO with my very first trip to Nandos - and omg THAT CHICKEN.
    It's taken you this long to have a Nandos?!?!

How Dare You Disgust GIF by AbsoluteRadio

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    It's taken you this long to have a Nandos?!?!

How Dare You Disgust GIF by AbsoluteRadio

i knowww right??? all this time, i just thought it was hype - like how good could chicken from a chain restaurant be??? omg i was so so so utterly wrong. i deserve a PFO from nando's.

going to try wagamama when i get my next PFO!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    i knowww right??? all this time, i just thought it was hype - like how good could chicken from a chain restaurant be??? omg i was so so so utterly wrong. i deserve a PFO from nando's.

I love a Wags too - one major consideration when moving a small market town after living in central London was that it had a Wagamamas and a Nandos 🤣

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021

I have only had Nandos once (years ago at that) and I've never been back as I didn't see what was so special about it....did I do it wrong? What trick am I missing?

• Wow
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: AW_08 and Adrian_S

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    I have only had Nandos once (years ago at that) and I've never been back as I didn't see what was so special about it....did I do it wrong? What trick am I missing?

Sorry, @RoughWood, but I need you to sit down and really reflect on how you could have improved your own Nando's experience. Just like I've had to do with my law firm apps. Did you not try all the different sauces? Did you not get a side of Peri-peri nuts? DID YOU CHOOSE THE RAINBOW SLAW OVER THE PERI-SALTED CHIPS???

Last edited:

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021

I haven't just because I'd rather wait and post if I got the TC offer off the back of it. Wouldn't say there's anything wrong with it though, more just a personal choice

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021

Would recommend from wagamama the raisukaree curry and the yaki udon is way better than the yaki soba.... but hopefully you wont be having a PFO party at wagamamas but a celebration for getting that vac scheme ;)

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    The same happened to me.

First, they got in touch to tell me that all the places had been filled, then after one day they invited me for an interview and had basically less than a day to prepare. However, I had to work and also had a commitment with my family. They really angered me and I let them know because I needed the help!
    Glad I'm not the only one! I'm just really confused with the process. I've been involved with literally none of the group sessions they were supposed to have. Someone else on the course I DM'd privately and he said the only two initial sessions were cancelled anyway - heard nothing after that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.