TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
'tell us a bit about yourself' 250 words. I'm unsure how to approach this, does the firm want me adopt a competency-style answer and be like 'I am commercially aware because xyz' or do they want me to talk about my personal interests?
This is a very broad question! Does the application have other questions that focus on commercial awareness or lend itself to such answers?

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    yeah they ask about a time you've successfully demonstrated commercial awareness and why I want to be a solicitor
    I had an interview earlier last year for a paralegal position at Ashfords. From my experience, I would say they are more getting to know you. They are a smaller firm and so the type of person is important to them and how they might fit in their team. Especially, if they already ask commercial questions you won’t need to talk too much in that regard.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    yeah they ask about a time you've successfully demonstrated commercial awareness and why I want to be a solicitor
    In that case I would answer the tell me about yourself question in a more personal manner - something that’s particular about you whether that be a unique journey or a personal interest. They’ve already given an opportunity to say why law and to prove your commercial awareness so you don’t need to reiterate that point.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Does anyone have any general AC advice? Or is there a previous thread on this?
    If anyone can help please send me a message 😅☺️
    Hi @NikkiT,

I have written a post here on how to prepare for an AC to a point that should make you feel ready 😊

Also check out two great resources by @AvniD: Avni’s break down of ACs and Avni's thoughts on preparing for ACs!

I would also recommend perusing Preparing for ACs and interviews in general (compiled list included) and more specifically preparing for article interviews!

Do reach out if you have any further questions :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: NikkiT, Maciej and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Let's say, for example, that after finishing your training contract in Exeter, you want to be transferred to the firm's office in Bristol. How likely is this to happen?
    It will depend on a number of factors. For instance, are the practice areas/sector focus different across the offices. The more different these are, the more difficult it could be. The firm is also likely to prioritise trainees who trained in that office for NQ roles, so you might find more flexibility if/when those trainees are not retained or leave of their own accord.

Ultimately if a firm values you and wants to retain you they will typically be as flexible as they can be. Also in a day and age where remote working becomes more prevelant, there might be increasing flexibility with working location. But roles need to be available and you need to be an appropriate candidate, and sometimes that won’t match up at the exact time you need it to.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Congratulations to @IRO and @gilo for becoming the first two Starred Thread Award winners!! Please reach out to @Jaysen to claim your free month of TCLA Premium :)

I have now removed the stars from these two threads but look out for our next Starred Threads!
    The trial of our Starred Thread Awards was a huge success and we received some excellent responses to the Texas Two-Step thread and the thread on the Bruce Springsteen Music Catalogue from @IRO and @gilo amongst others!

Look out for upcoming Starred Threads which will give you the chance to win a free month of TCLA Premium should you be able to contribute unique expertise to the forum where others (including us community managers) are not able to do so 😊

Reactions: George Maxwell

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    Hey guys,

I have my first AC/interview on Tuesday and the firm hasn’t provided any info besides there being a ‘general interview’ and ‘skills assessment’.

The firm is smaller, Wedlake Bell, and I can’t find any info at all on previous interviews etc. I’m kinda freaking out because it’ll be my first in person event ever and I have no idea what to expect! So many questions keep racing through my mind: how long should I answer each question for? What’s the skills assessment going to be like?

Does anyone have any tips on what to be aware of and what to do/not to do? - id really appreciate it!

@Jessica Booker @James Carrabino

M991

Distinguished Member
    Mar 14, 2020
    Hi! I have a few questions regarding FT article analysis as part of AC. Do you guys have any tips and tricks on how to approach it?

1. If I am given a few minutes to read the article, should I prepared to provide a brief summary at the beginning of the assessment?
    2. What should I focus on when reading the article - the main points the author is advancing in the article and explain why it matters? Wider commercial issues? The impact of certain developments on the firm?
    3. How should I structure my answer?

Thanks so much! @James Carrabino @AvniD @George Maxwell

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey! The way I'd approach it is-

• Identify what the subject matter of the article (deal, law, company, acquisition etc. that's being discussed)
    • Identify the main legal and commercial issues with the subject matter (stick to 2-3 main ones if you're low on time and expressly state that you're choosing to focus on these)
    • Issue by issue, go through possible solutions
      • for example, if the article says that the acquisition involves a disputed asset, and you're representing the buyer, state that acquiring this asset may lead to future claims against the buyer and that getting an indemnity or insurance or even carving out this asset from the overall acquisition may be beneficial.
      • You don't have to be correct, but you do need to 1) attempt to provide solutions and 2) give your reasoning for them, even if they are flawed/incorrect.
      • Be flexible if you're proven wrong and adapt to the new information you've been given to provide other possible solutions.
    I hope this helps!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.