TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Glad I'm not the only one! I'm just really confused with the process. I've been involved with literally none of the group sessions they were supposed to have. Someone else on the course I DM'd privately and he said the only two initial sessions were cancelled anyway - heard nothing after that.
Interestingly the company seems to have been dissolved two days ago going by Companies House.

Seems like they haven't filed their confirmation statement for 2021 and so have been struck off....

Last edited:

Homer

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 12, 2021
does anyone have experience with Mischon's video interview? Any advice about what kind of material to prepare/ insight into the format of this year's interview (i.e can you re-record your answers as many times as you like or is there a limit to preparation time?) would be highly appreciated. Thanks

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Sorry, @RoughWood, but I need you to sit down and really reflect on how you could have improved your own Nando's experience. Just like I've had to do with my law firm apps. Did you not try all the different sauces? Did you not get a side of Peri-peri nuts? DID YOU CHOOSE THE RAINBOW SLAW OVER THE PERI-SALTED CHIPS???
This is hilarious! I don't know, just order some chicken and sides? Maybe I need to give it another shot, it was getting on for a good 10 years ago so maybe it has just improved since then!

Reactions: GXA123 and Adrian_S

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Glad I'm not the only one! I'm just really confused with the process. I've been involved with literally none of the group sessions they were supposed to have. Someone else on the course I DM'd privately and he said the only two initial sessions were cancelled anyway - heard nothing after that.
    Not sure about supernova or spark, but I am on Strive's "shift(bootcamp)" (a legal tech course) and that programme is running very well- interesting course material, mentoring opportunities, open days with the partner law firms, and constant communication via slack.

Not saying this to discredit anyone's experience- what you described above sounds really frustrating. But for those who may be interested in other strive programs (can't speak for supernova or spark) like shift, it's worth applying.

WillF

Star Member
    Jul 31, 2021
    ✨✨✨✨✨✨ manifesting an offer for Reed Smith today ✨✨✨✨✨✨

The AC i had two weeks ago went poorly :')
    OMG, i had a missed call at 5:05pm and they left a voicemail - it was graduate recruitment from Reed Smith!! 😳😳😳 I missed the call because of an EU lecture - just my luck!

They asked me to phone them back or email, so i phoned them immediately after my lecture at 5:55pm and no answer - they must have finished for the day.

Half of me is extremely excited as phone calls (i believe) are generally a good sign, but the other half of me is terrified it will just be a rejection but they wanted to give feedback.... 🥲🥲

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    OMG, i had a missed call at 5:05pm and they left a voicemail - it was graduate recruitment from Reed Smith!! 😳😳😳 I missed the call because of an EU lecture - just my luck!

They asked me to phone them back or email, so i phoned them immediately after my lecture at 5:55pm and no answer - they must have finished for the day.

Half of me is extremely excited as phone calls (i believe) are generally a good sign, but the other half of me is terrified it will just be a rejection but they wanted to give feedback.... 🥲🥲
    I would send an email just to recognise you have missed the call and mention that you will try and give them a call when you are available tomorrow morning. You could also explain when you will be free tomorrow if they do want to also call you back.

Reactions: LS_1998 and WillF

Han.louise

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    May 28, 2020

Manifesting this for you😇

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    1) I am not convinced many recruiters are actually looking at LinkedIn in the first place

2) If they do, it's a risky tactic - in many instances, it might actually put a negative spin on how I viewed someone (as I would consider them more interested in the other firm).
    I have had various Grad Recs contact me when I updated my LinkedIn (however they were largely competing MC firms). This is also true for five of my other friends. A few of my friends received straight TC offers from their VS Interviews as a result of this too.

I'm not sure how to view your second response - that may be true for some Grad Recs, but when I had flagged my other offers directly to Grad Rec (or discussed it when they contacted me) or during interviews for Vacation Schemes (as I appreciate competing TC offers are genuinely more worthwhile as leverage), I feel I was viewed more favourably. It also gave me a good opportunity to re-affirm why I'm interested in the firm I'm interviewing in, because you can use it as an opportunity to tell them that you're waiting on said firm, that you're more interested in them, etc.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and GXA123

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I have had various Grad Recs contact me when I updated my LinkedIn (however they were largely competing MC firms). This is also true for five of my other friends. A few of my friends received straight TC offers from their VS Interviews as a result of this too.

I'm not sure how to view your second response - that may be true for some Grad Recs, but when I had flagged my other offers directly to Grad Rec (or discussed it when they contacted me) or during interviews for Vacation Schemes (as I appreciate competing TC offers are genuinely more worthwhile as leverage), I feel I was viewed more favourably. It also gave me a good opportunity to re-affirm why I'm interested in the firm I'm interviewing in, because you can use it as an opportunity to tell them that you're waiting on said firm, that you're more interested in them, etc.
    I think in the specific context of flagging offers to recruiters to express that you want to go to *this place,* sure - I did this recently with competing paralegal offers - but if it's just a LinkedIn posting you're not communicating that preference. Ultimately it probably doesn't have a huge impact one way or the other on LinkedIn, but I see where Jessica is coming from.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I find it surprising that MC firms are doing this to be honest. Will be interesting to find out why when I catch up with them next.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    this is my first AC so i wanted to ask if when i book my ac matters? is it better if i do it earlier or can i give myself some more time to prepare
    Is it for W&C? If so, it does not matter! With some firms it may make a difference but with the vast majority it will not :)

Reactions: Adrian_S and CC03
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.