Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELA

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2019
I just got offered a place on a vacation scheme at Faegre Baker Daniels :D. No chance that this would have happened without all the advice and resources on here! So thank you so much Jaysen and everybody else for contributing to this website! I'm so grateful

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I just got offered a place on a vacation scheme at Faegre Baker Daniels :D. No chance that this would have happened without all the advice and resources on here! So thank you so much Jaysen and everybody else for contributing to this website! I'm so grateful

Amazing - well done!!

Reactions: ELA

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Many congrats! Delighted for you :)

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    I've been offered a place on the vacation scheme for Milbank :) However, they only run one vacation scheme and so it clashes with another I've already accepted. Does anyone have any tips for how to try and reschedule the other scheme to the later one without it looking suspicious??

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I've been offered a place on the vacation scheme for Milbank :) However, they only run one vacation scheme and so it clashes with another I've already accepted. Does anyone have any tips for how to try and reschedule the other scheme to the later one without it looking suspicious??
    Firstly, many congrats Naomi! That's brilliant :) I'll ask around and get back to you re the rescheduling of a scheme.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Naomi

MA96

Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2019
    Hi all,

I wanted to share a few words I thought might be encouraging!

After three rigorous application cycles, lots of tears and a lot of self doubt, I’ve managed to secure my dream training contract at Baker McKenzie. I’ve thought long and hard about what changed this time round and I’ve finally decided that it was the confidence I had in myself and my abilities.

For two years I had straight rejections. Lots of tests and video interviews, a few assessment centres, but no VS or TC offers. I know my story is a common one, and I also know how difficult it is not to take the rejections personally, but I would encourage everyone to remember what it is that makes them unique, and what it is that assures them they will succeed as a commercial lawyer. Keep this at the forefront, and the confidence it will bring will make the whole process a lot easier. It’s the only thing I can point to that drastically changed and made all the difference!

A huge thank you to Jaysen for creating what is a rare but all too important community of individuals eager to see one another succeed! If anyone would like advice or tips regarding applications, feel free to message me on here or to connect with me on LinkedIn, my name’s Marilyn Acquah :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    @MBA @Sophie Bell

Well done to you both, I’m so very glad to hear your news!!

Just to echo yourself as well @MBA, I was sadly unsuccessful with Shearman solely for the fact I had too little confidence and self belief. It’s very hard to have that kind of feedback as they said I assessed very well and carried myself well too asides from the fact that I came across as too unconfident. I feel having the Slaughters rejection was a bit of a knock and I allowed myself to put too much pressure on myself and was too hard on myself also.

So really, what I’m trying to say is that we might not feel at our best and we might have creeping self doubt but it’s best to try not to exhibit this in every way that you can. For me, it’s inherent to my personality unfortunately and is actually something I genuinely think allows me to succeed in a strange way. But nonetheless, I shall be hiding it better next time, especially for US firms with small intakes.

I’m very grateful to Shearman who did assure me that I have everything else I need to thrive but I need to work on the way I perceive my own talents, intelligence and skills. It’s been very good and very fair advice indeed.

To anyone reading this, please don’t be your own worst enemy. Don’t put yourself down and don’t allow your self doubt to hinder you. It’s natural, but just know you are capable and you are there for a reason! I know what I will be changing for next time and let’s just hope that these next two months allow me to start seeing my own potential more!

Sorry for the long post but I always try to be as honest on here as possible and really hope it can help some of you guys as well :) I’m disappointed, of course, but I’m going to really try and use this to drive me forward for summer!

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    @MBA @Sophie Bell

Well done to you both, I’m so very glad to hear your news!!

Just to echo yourself as well @MBA, I was sadly unsuccessful with Shearman solely for the fact I had too little confidence and self belief. It’s very hard to have that kind of feedback as they said I assessed very well and carried myself well too asides from the fact that I came across as too unconfident. I feel having the Slaughters rejection was a bit of a knock and I allowed myself to put too much pressure on myself and was too hard on myself also.

So really, what I’m trying to say is that we might not feel at our best and we might have creeping self doubt but it’s best to try not to exhibit this in every way that you can. For me, it’s inherent to my personality unfortunately and is actually something I genuinely think allows me to succeed in a strange way. But nonetheless, I shall be hiding it better next time, especially for US firms with small intakes.

I’m very grateful to Shearman who did assure me that I have everything else I need to thrive but I need to work on the way I perceive my own talents, intelligence and skills. It’s been very good and very fair advice indeed.

To anyone reading this, please don’t be your own worst enemy. Don’t put yourself down and don’t allow your self doubt to hinder you. It’s natural, but just know you are capable and you are there for a reason! I know what I will be changing for next time and let’s just hope that these next two months allow me to start seeing my own potential more!

Sorry for the long post but I always try to be as honest on here as possible and really hope it can help some of you guys as well :) I’m disappointed, of course, but I’m going to really try and use this to drive me forward for summer!

Sorry to hear that Alice! You have been so helpful on the forum and always a positive voice, any firm would be lucky to have you!

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019
    Hello! Congratulations to everyone that has secured a TC and VS recently! Just wondering if anyone has any advice, I have an assessment centre next week for a paralegal role with Clifford Chance. The AC consists of two written tasks. Does anyone have any insight to what they may be or any advice on how to do well? I have never done a written exercise or been to a AC before so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hello! Congratulations to everyone that has secured a TC and VS recently! Just wondering if anyone has any advice, I have an assessment centre next week for a paralegal role with Clifford Chance. The AC consists of two written tasks. Does anyone have any insight to what they may be or any advice on how to do well? I have never done a written exercise or been to a AC before so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
    Hi Ruth, firstly well done on the AC! I think they key pointers for any written task are as follows:

1) keep in mind the point of the task- it is to see how clearly and how well you can write rather than your knowledge. Try to be as clear as possible and allow 10 mins to proof and check for typos and grammatical errors.

2) don’t be scared to discard irrelevant info. Some things just won’t be relevant and are there to test you. You have limited time so just run with your ideas and don’t feel like
    You need to cover it all, as I said, the point is to test your written ability.

3) I don’t know about CC but is it maybe an M&A case study? If so, check out all the M&A bits and pieces on here and try to think commercially. Structure your response well and get straight to the point. You can take a pros and cons approach or perhaps a strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats approach (known as SWOT). This doesn’t need to be sophisticated and I do what feels natural based on the case study in front of my to be honest but be clear and use headings.

4) lastly and maybe most importantly, take your time to read the task thoroughly and the instructions line by line. Being able to follow what has been asked of you is essential.

This is very brief and there’s a fair bit of material I shall try to maybe link that’s on the TCLA (out and about and on my phone right now) but this is hopefully a good basis to build on at the minute :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jade, Daniel Boden and Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.