Status
Not open for further replies.

gw9

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 28, 2022
Yep that one. I just got an email saying my application is under review. Does this mean anything in relation to the test? I'm so nervous lol

I did it earlier this afternoon - I got a first email saying "your application is currently under review and we will be in touch after the deadline to advise on the outcome of your application," and then a second email saying "I can confirm that you have reached the benchmark on our online test and your application is now under review" about an hour or so later.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Inquisitive

Inquisitive

Star Member
Sep 1, 2022
I did it earlier this afternoon - I got a first email saying "your application is currently under review and we will be in touch after the deadline to advise on the outcome of your application," and then a second email saying "I can confirm that you have reached the benchmark on our online test and your application is now under review" about an hour or so later.
I see, many thanks and congratulations! Hope I get some good news too

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
I know this can differ by firm, but does time to respond post-AC impact on how successful you're likely to be? With investment banking summer internships, for example, if you don't hear back within 2-3 days of the AC, you can standardly expect that you didn't secure an offer (rejections are sent later). Might be overthinking as that might not be the case for law firms, but would be interested to know if there's a correlation!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know this can differ by firm, but does time to respond post-AC impact on how successful you're likely to be? With investment banking summer internships, for example, if you don't hear back within 2-3 days of the AC, you can standardly expect that you didn't secure an offer (rejections are sent later). Might be overthinking as that might not be the case for law firms, but would be interested to know if there's a correlation!
Sometimes, but not always. Some firms wait until all candidates are interviewed before making offers.

Reactions: Rob93 and samni

nialljames

May 5, 2022
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I've soaked up the guidance on these threads for over three years, when I first decided to move to London after graduation and began applying for TCs here. I secured two vacation schemes (which ended up being virtual) whilst at uni but then failed to convert, both with little to no feedback. I made the move to London anyway and started work as a paralegal at a top 20 firm. I realised how much I enjoyed the work, and somewhat surprisingly, that I was good at it. I received strong feedback from colleagues and clients and applied internally for the TC, but then got rejected. Over the past three years, I have made well over 100 applications and completed 12 ACs. I'm sure so many of you can understand how I felt - wondering whether there was something intrinsically wrong with me that these people could see that I couldn't, something that told them that I would be a terrible lawyer. Over the last few months, I had given up hope that it would ever happen for me and began to consider moving home, where a TC would be far more easily attainable.

Last week, I received two TC offers (one from an international firm, and one from a US). Both agreed to bring my start date forward - I will be studying for the SQE for the next year, and starting at the US firm next September.

I have read so many of these posts over the years, and admit to rolling my eyes when anyone would say that you just have to trust that it will happen - but it will. If you have the resilience to keep up with this (often unrelenting) process, whilst managing whatever other responsibilities you have - you will get there.

If I can be of assistance to anyone, particularly those applying having not studied in the UK, please do let me know!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I've soaked up the guidance on these threads for over three years, when I first decided to move to the London after graduation and began applying for TCs here. I secured two vacation schemes (which ended up being virtual) whilst at uni but then failed to convert, both with little to no feedback. I made the move to London anyway and started work as a paralegal at a top 20 firm. I realised how much I enjoyed the work, and somewhat surprisingly, that I was good at it. I received strong feedback from colleagues and clients and applied internally for the TC, but then got rejected. Over the past three years, I have made well over 100 applications and completed 12 ACs. I'm sure so many of you can understand how I felt - wondering whether there was something intrinsically wrong with me that these people could see that I couldn't, something that told them that I would be a terrible lawyer. Over the last few months, I had given up hope that it would ever happen for me and began to consider moving home, where a TC would be far more easily attainable.

Last week, I received two TC offers (one from an international firm, and one from a US). Both agreed to bring my start date forward - I will be studying for the SQE for the next year, and starting at the US firm next September.

I have read so many of these posts over the years, and admit to rolling my eyes when anyone would say that you just have to trust that it will happen - but it will. If you have the resilience to keep up with this (often unrelenting) process, whilst managing whatever other responsibilities you have - you will get there.

If I can be of assistance to anyone, particularly those applying having not studied in the UK, please do let me know!
This is amazing news - congratulations on your offers!

season 1 nbc GIF

Reactions: Rob93

Inquisitive

Star Member
Sep 1, 2022

I've soaked up the guidance on these threads for over three years, when I first decided to move to the London after graduation and began applying for TCs here. I secured two vacation schemes (which ended up being virtual) whilst at uni but then failed to convert, both with little to no feedback. I made the move to London anyway and started work as a paralegal at a top 20 firm. I realised how much I enjoyed the work, and somewhat surprisingly, that I was good at it. I received strong feedback from colleagues and clients and applied internally for the TC, but then got rejected. Over the past three years, I have made well over 100 applications and completed 12 ACs. I'm sure so many of you can understand how I felt - wondering whether there was something intrinsically wrong with me that these people could see that I couldn't, something that told them that I would be a terrible lawyer. Over the last few months, I had given up hope that it would ever happen for me and began to consider moving home, where a TC would be far more easily attainable.

Super inspirational!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
What’s the etiquette of applying to the same firm in another cycle, and using the same/similar answers as the ones you used in the previous cycle if the applications questions are the same/similar? Especially on questions like why the firm/why commercial law, seeing as my motivations for those would be the same. Just curious!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What’s the etiquette of applying to the same firm in another cycle, and using the same/similar answers as the ones you used in the previous cycle if the applications questions are the same/similar? Especially on questions like why the firm/why commercial law, seeing as my motivations for those would be the same. Just curious!
I think any application can always be refined from previous years based on the things you have subsequently done, the things you have learned since and even by critically evaluating your written style. The general themes might be similar but how it is presented could always be updated and refined.

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
I think any application can always be refined from previous years based on the things you have subsequently done, the things you have learned since and even by critically evaluating your written style. The general themes might be similar but how it is presented could always be updated and refined.
That’s very true, would the firm be able to see what answers you put in your previous application too?

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
Has anyone heard back from a W&C AC/remember when we can expect to? I think I remember grad rec saying around end of last week but am not 100% sure

gigglingsquid

Oct 30, 2021
Has anyone heard back from a W&C AC/remember when we can expect to? I think I remember grad rec saying around end of last week but am not 100% sure
They always say it'll be around a week till you hear back but it often takes longer. My friend who applied for their direct TC last year only got his offer in December and so did a majority of the people who were on his AC. Try not to worry!

Reactions: samni
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.