Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello! How would you word why you chose not to go into immigration law after an experience on an application? I want to say that it was too emotional but it seems too negative at the application stage. I mainly didn't want to go in because it was frustrating to work with legal aid, emotionally challenging, and felt like putting a bandaid on a gaping wound. Not sure how to make it less negative.
Focus more on what commercial law does give you rather than what immigration law does not. E,g, "I want to work in a more pragmatic and cerebral environment".

Reactions: ScoUting

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice. I am a third year law student, and I feel like I have zero chance to secure a summer vacation scheme this year. Although, I had planned and envisioned it for myself, I did not put in much effort to get fully immersed into preparing for applications and developing my commercial awareness during the autumn term. I know that I only have myself to blame for this but I think the reason I have found myself in this spot is because I wasn't fully convinced that commercial law was the career route I definitely wanted to take. However, I am much surer now but I feel like I am inexperienced and extremely underprepared for applications. I have not managed to complete the work experience I initially planned for myself nor have I researched my top choice firms in much detail and I also have not completed any virtual schemes/commercial awareness programmes. I feel super defeated and disappointed with myself but I just can't let this application season completely go to waste so I think I will still attempt to submit at least 3 applications (even though they'll be of poor quality) to the firms I was interested in whose deadlines still remain open. I would really appreciate some advice on whether the experience I'll talk about will even be worth mentioning in the applications. This is all I've got at the moment:

- Shadowed a sheriff (2019) for 2 days
- Involved in university mooting (got to the finals of a competition which took place in the Supreme court before Lord President Reid)
- Worked as a retail assistant
- Worked many different roles in a busy dessert shop
- Attended the law virtual fair (informative talks, brief networking)

Although, I have a much more dedicated plan for the next application season which I'm aiming to actually follow through on, I was wondering whether I'd have at least a slim chance to secure a summer vacation scheme? Any help and guidance would be appreciated, thank you.
I still think it is worthwhile applying to some firms for vacation schemes. You may also want to consider applying for open days and insight programmes to build up your experience and knowledge. You may also want to invest some time completing some virtual work experience programmes on platforms like Forage (1 or 2 will be more than enough).

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi - I have an interview coming up and have seen some example questions regarding the 'role of an associate', 'role of a partner', 'role of a trainee'.
I was wondering if anyone had any key points on the tasks that differentiate these three roles as I am struggling to find specifics online and feel like the question is being asked to test my knowledge of what sets the three apart. Any tips? Thanks in advance
This article may help with understanding the difference between an associate and a partner: What is the Difference Between an Associate and a Partner? (mylawquestions.com) and Career progression: a comprehensive guide to reaching senior partner | AllAboutLaw

Remember a trainee is not qualified and that their work has to be signed off by someone who is. Think about things like supervision and typical team size in the specific firm you are applying to, as this may impact the differences in these three roles.

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 25, 2020
Hello, can someone please confirm if Hogan Lovells sends a link for the Watson Glaser test immediately after application? Or does it come after an initial screening? Bit worried since I've submitted my application but not received an email for the taking the test!
I’ve been waiting around 2 weeks now! And I still haven’t received a WG test

eash manzar

• Dec 28, 2022
    I still think it is worthwhile applying to some firms for vacation schemes. You may also want to consider applying for open days and insight programmes to build up your experience and knowledge. You may also want to invest some time completing some virtual work experience programmes on platforms like Forage (1 or 2 will be more than enough).
    Thank you so much for your response. I am planning on applying for open days but the requirements for most firms is that you must be in 1st or second year but I’m definitely going and keep a look out and note the dates for any insight days. And yes, I’m planning on completing a few virtual schemes over the summer. Is there any advice you could give on how I can best attempt to answer the commercial law question in applications - considering the fact that my knowledge is currently limited. Thanks again Jessica!

jessicamcnamara

Esteemed Member
    Jan 17, 2022
    I’m feeling a bit worried as I’ve done quite a few VIs and haven’t heard back from anyone. Has anyone heard back from:

Mishcon post VI
    Willkie post VI
    Dentons post test/VI
    Simmons post yes/VI for summer VS

I don’t know if I should consider these to be PFOs :(
    I haven't heard back from Mishcon either post VI. I did speak with another applicant to them pre Christmas and they had a PFO

Jul 23, 2022
    Will firms ask for certificate for the forage programme?

Highnumberofapplicants

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 18, 2021
    Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice

I applied to Skadden in early October and have not heard back at all. Similarly with AO, I completed and passed my SJT in early November and there’s been no communication since. I’m wondering if it is okay at this stage to write to these firms and ask for an update? Does it at all negatively impact the application? Or are these just PFOs and I should move on?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I guess for most you can’t.
    my uni lists the committee members for each society, is one way they could for position of responsibility, but I doubt they’d actually look that up.
    That is only if the role is a current position of responsibility though - it's no use if it is something you did in the past.

And it is difficult to draw the line - you can't always find out smaller committee roles and things like whether you have played for a university sports team.

Universities tried to find a solution to this and a small group tried to install reports you got at the end of the degree that covered your extracurriculars. However, it was a massive failure and employers were completely uninterested in having such a report. It also didn't allow people who were more involved in extracurriculars outside of university to showcase their activities which led to massive levels of disadvantage for certain groups of people.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022

I applied to Skadden in early October and have not heard back at all. Similarly with AO, I completed and passed my SJT in early November and there’s been no communication since. I’m wondering if it is okay at this stage to write to these firms and ask for an update? Does it at all negatively impact the application? Or are these just PFOs and I should move on?
    Before emailing to ask, I'd check both application portals. Sometimes these update with a decision (interview invite or rejection), but the email has either gone to your junk or not actually been sent.

Loveslaw1234

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 3, 2023

Hi - if it helps, got PFO'd from AO a week after passing the SJT so maybe they have you on hold... But I applied to Skadden at the same time as you and got a TI 2 weeks after applying... Good luck!!

sdsou

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 31, 2021
    Hello, I am an international student studying on a Student visa in the UK. @Jessica Booker if you could please guide me:

Mayer Brown's Spring Vacation Scheme application form for London asks: "Do you require permission or a visa to work in the office location(s) you are applying to?"

Since I already have a student visa, I don't need further permission to work in Spring for the London office. I am not sure if the question is asking whether I need permission for the Spring VS particularly or for a position generally. Following my visa I plan to get onto the Graduate Route, which means I will have at least 2 years without requiring sponsorship. Could you please confirm whether I should answer "Yes" or "No" to the question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, I am an international student studying on a Student visa in the UK. @Jessica Booker if you could please guide me:

Mayer Brown's Spring Vacation Scheme application form for London asks: "Do you require permission or a visa to work in the office location(s) you are applying to?"

Since I already have a student visa, I don't need further permission to work in Spring for the London office. I am not sure if the question is asking whether I need permission for the Spring VS particularly or for a position generally. Following my visa I plan to get onto the Graduate Route, which means I will have at least 2 years without requiring sponsorship. Could you please confirm whether I should answer "Yes" or "No" to the question?
    As you are only applying for a vacation scheme, your student visa is sufficient to say yes here (although just check the schemes dates full outside of your term time).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.