TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjaz1116

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2022
I applied for Linklaters Direct TC and just logged on to my portal - is says candidate review is complete and the status of my application is 'on hold'.

Does anyone know what this all means?
I applied for Linklaters Direct TC and London SVS. My TC status is 60% 'on hold' while SVS is 77% 'on hold'. I might be wrong but 77% 'on hold' could possibly mean that your app is viewed since there is a difference somehow.

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
I have messed up so many VIs - as an international student with the most laughable, unintelligible accent, I feel like all my recordings are in HR's "Let's Laugh At This Maniac" folder. I simply can't get over this, should I just fake an accent
Aw I have a mild stammer that just becomes terrible during VIs/oral exams (because of nerves). Just done two of them this morning and worried the interviewer/examiner won't see past the stammer :( i feel your pain but an accent really isn't anything to worry about! And definitely definitely no faking, be proud of yourself

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
For an interview q regarding what makes you stand out.. do you think it's best to focus on what experiences you have in the legal sphere?

i actually think using non legal experiences can be great here too. some of my extracurricular and non-legal work experiences are unusual and can really make someone stand out if they've thought carefully about how they relate to law. highly encourage thinking about a wide range of experiences - something i've also been told at interview before.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Aw I have a mild stammer that just becomes terrible during VIs/oral exams (because of nerves). Just done two of them this morning and worried the interviewer/examiner won't see past the stammer :( i feel your pain but an accent really isn't anything to worry about! And definitely definitely no faking, be proud of yourself
I said this yesterday, Im a bit similar, I feel I act in a way I would never act in a normal situation in the interview. Obviously I do not know how bad the stammer is but one thing that helped me so much is just using silence. If I get stuck I just stay silent for a second or two and to be honest it does not really appear unnatural at all, it is way better than filler. I also think rejecting someone for a stammer would be pretty foolish tbh

D

daisy_yawn

I said this yesterday, Im a bit similar, I feel I act in a way I would never act in a normal situation in the interview. Obviously I do not know how bad the stammer is but one thing that helped me so much is just using silence. If I get stuck I just stay silent for a second or two and to be honest it does not really appear unnatural at all, it is way better than filler. I also think rejecting someone for a stammer would be pretty foolish tbh
My voice trembles so much when I do VIs, more than in interviews with actual people

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    Sorry, this might sound like a bizarre question! I have never done a VI before and was wondering - do people typically use split screens with notes or do platforms prevent this?

I am thinking I probably won't, as I think it would distract me anyway, but was wondering how people typically approached the VIs!

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 24543

Sorry, this might sound like a bizarre question! I have never done a VI before and was wondering - do people typically use split screens with notes or do platforms prevent this?

I am thinking I probably won't, as I think it would distract me anyway, but was wondering how people typically approached the VIs!

Thanks!
    I stick a post it note in front of me with the "key points" per q!! Only fear is my eyesight is horrible and i'd probably end up looking like i'm squinting HAHA....

• 🤝
    Reactions: lik0401 and Bubbles
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.