TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 5, 2019
Shearman & Sterling is the only firm I've heard say they will actually reject you instantly for a single error. I don't think most of them are that strict
Hi - let me clear this up!

What we ask, is for applicants to fully proofread their applications before submitting them. If an application is submitted with spelling and grammar mistakes, it's likely to be rejected.

Lots of applicants hear that as a negative message, but you should think about this in a different way. If you submit an application with no mistakes, you are already ahead of most people! That's a positive. Just focus on thoroughly reviewing your application.

I'm no expert on other firms' processes, but I think it's unlikely most firms will accept applications with mistakes.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Paul

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
Eversheds PFO - this one hurt as I applied for direct TC last cycle and got the below message which wasn’t sent to everyone

“We have now filled our 2024 Training Contract places following our summer vacation scheme and our internal process for the location that you have applied for and therefore unfortunately won't be progressing your application. However, we were impressed with the quality of your application and would encourage you to apply again next year.”
Exactly the same here :(

AmakaWrites

Jul 28, 2022
I have messed up so many VIs - as an international student with the most laughable, unintelligible accent, I feel like all my recordings are in HR's "Let's Laugh At This Maniac" folder. I simply can't get over this, should I just fake an accent
Ah no! Please don't say that, it's making me sad. Never EVER fake yourself. And don't believe that something as superficial a reason as an accent is the reason for your downfall. Your true qualities and characteristics will SHINE through regardless, and if someone is not willing to take note of that because of your voice, more fool them and shame on them. That is not a workplace you should aspire to be in. You are destined for greater.

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
I have messed up so many VIs - as an international student with the most laughable, unintelligible accent, I feel like all my recordings are in HR's "Let's Laugh At This Maniac" folder. I simply can't get over this, should I just fake an accent
I'm really sorry to hear about the news you had to receive today. Take today off as "mental health day" from apps honestly. I've received rejections in the past and rejections in this application cycle (and I've also rejected law firms upon an offer previously). Rejection is a part of life, and I hope you are comforted by the fact that this will probably continue to happen throughout the course of a career in law (or in any career tbh). And don't give up :) As one international student to another, you have a lot of skills and experiences to offer on the table.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I'm really sorry to hear about the news you had to receive today. Take today off as "mental health day" from apps honestly. I've received rejections in the past and rejections in this application cycle (and I've also rejected law firms upon an offer previously). Rejection is a part of life, and I hope you are comforted by the fact that this will probably continue to happen throughout the course of a career in law (or in any career tbh). And don't give up :) As one international student to another, you have a lot of skills and experiences to offer on the table.
A&O rejected me for the summer vac scheme for anybody wondering. I applied on the day of the deadline.

i know it’s been said too many times to count, but the support and encouragement on this forum is outstanding. love these replies!

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
Also, I just remembered this article published on Forbes a while back on the principle of failing forward:

This particular paragraph resonated with me:
"As a major sports fan, one of my favorite all-time quotes is from basketball great Michael Jordan: "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

I really enjoyed reading this because it helps to realise each failure is a learning opportunity to reflect on the next attempt which could potentially lead to success. I sincerely hope this helped :)

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Have all Spring VS places for HSF been filled?

Just wondering, as I changed my application for HSF winter to the spring VS. I haven't checked the portal since I received the email confirming I had been moved. However, I logged back in this afternoon (as I have been seeing that people are receiving correspondence and offers for Spring and Summer) and the portal says my Winter VS is still under consideration...

Concerned that somehow my application may have slipped through the net!

cyberjaz1116

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 31, 2022
    Eversheds PFO - this one hurt as I applied for direct TC last cycle and got the below message which wasn’t sent to everyone

“We have now filled our 2024 Training Contract places following our summer vacation scheme and our internal process for the location that you have applied for and therefore unfortunately won't be progressing your application. However, we were impressed with the quality of your application and would encourage you to apply again next year.”
    the same!

• 🤝
    Reactions: F99

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    just clarify, i think someone said it was 80 on here 😵‍💫 can anyone confirm whether 18 is the right bench mark?
    yes grad rec told me its 18th percentile. However I would add with such a low benchmark I think they may use a high scoring norm group. I usually score 90-99th percentile but got 76th when I did the test today or maybe just an off day.

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    yes grad rec told me its 18th percentile. However I would add with such a low benchmark I think they may use a high scoring norm group. I usually score 90-99th percentile but got 76th when I did the test today or maybe just an off day.
    When you say that you usually score 90-99th percentile, is this a practice test result through providers like Assessment Day or JobTestPrep?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.