TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DimpledHopper

Star Member
Sep 20, 2021
Sorry, this might sound like a bizarre question! I have never done a VI before and was wondering - do people typically use split screens with notes or do platforms prevent this?

I am thinking I probably won't, as I think it would distract me anyway, but was wondering how people typically approached the VIs!

Thanks!
I have a piece of paper next to me with the Qs I prepared with bullet point headings for my main points and if a Q I prepared comes up I quickly refer to it during the prep time and answer. If it's a Q I haven't prepped before I jot down quick notes of the main points I want to cover and then refer to it when I answer. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Uvaia and lik0401
D

daisy_yawn

Sorry, this might sound like a bizarre question! I have never done a VI before and was wondering - do people typically use split screens with notes or do platforms prevent this?

I am thinking I probably won't, as I think it would distract me anyway, but was wondering how people typically approached the VIs!

Thanks!

I did this for two VIs but found that it looks too rehearsed because your eyes keep shifting to the notes so I used minimal to no notes for the Willkie one just now and it was much better

Reactions: lik0401

lw2000

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2021
Is it ok to reference an upcoming work experience placement (not vacation scheme) in a cover letter to show commitment/interest in a specific area of law? Its not a placement where you can get a training contract out of it.

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
I applied for Linklaters Direct TC and just logged on to my portal - is says candidate review is complete and the status of my application is 'on hold'.

Does anyone know what this all means?
Same here. No idea what it means, I'm guessing we can probably expect a response either way soonish though...

HLL

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2021
Has anyone heard back from HL re summer vac scheme? I thought they are rolling so approximately how soon can we expect to hear back post WG?

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hello @Jessica Booker and everyone, hope everyone is well. I d like to ask a question. When applying for a place on a vac scheme, is it fine to talk about the training contract structure as well? I wasn't sure since this is an application for a VS rather than TC directly. Thanks in advance!
    I would say so! You are essentially applying for the TC in the end. The VS is just a means to the end in that process and often, if not invariably, the TC structure/content is what will differentiate firms.

For example Jones Day doesn't have TC rotation, while Freshfields has an 8 seat training contract and a firm like S&C only has transactional seats. All of this can help you choose which firm(s) is for you and especially convince the firm on why them!

TL;DR IMO its a huge reason why to pick a firm and important to talk about in the written app and interview(s).

• 🤝
    Reactions: cyberjaz1116 and Momo

Sachin Chandra

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 16, 2020
    I have messed up so many VIs - as an international student with the most laughable, unintelligible accent, I feel like all my recordings are in HR's "Let's Laugh At This Maniac" folder. I simply can't get over this, should I just fake an accent
    Just be yourself but the best version of yourself. I'm no VI interview expert and I am prepping for my first ever one this week, but having done five 2 minute freestyles yday and five more today there is a huge improvement. My first ever one was the most awkward thing I've ever seen in my life. I had to delete it straight away because it was so bad and embarassing. But I have hope that I can keep on practicing speaking to myself in the camera, speaking to myself on voice memo and making solid and easily learnable responses to generic questions.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    I would say so! You are essentially applying for the TC in the end. The VS is just a means to the end in that process and often, if not invariably, the TC structure/content is what will differentiate firms.

For example Jones Day doesn't have TC rotation, while Freshfields has an 8 seat training contract and a firm like S&C only has transactional seats. All of this can help you choose which firm(s) is for you and especially convince the firm on why them!

TL;DR IMO its a huge reason why to pick a firm.
    Great! Thank you very much for the response, I appreciate it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.