Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

Just a note from me -

I have issued a temporary ban for a user in our forum after they were already issued with a warning. I just wanted to explain this to the rest of the community.

99.9% of the community here is fantastic and we really appreciate the way you support and lift one another up. However, once in a while, we'll have a user who joins and enjoys making provocative comments or calling people out for being worried about the process. Their justification is often along the lines of 'I'm doing a service because the legal journey is tough, so people need to toughen up'.

We don't buy this mentality in our community. Rudeness or hostility alienates people who are new to this journey or haven't had access to the same information. One of the reasons this community is so special is the willingness of members to be vulnerable and open about the good sides and the bad sides.

Very rarely do we take this kind of action against members of this platform, but when we do, we act quickly because this isn't the place to do it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone else for helping to maintain such a supportive community. We hope to keep it that way.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi, I applied to mishcon de reya last week, however, have just noticed in my email inbox that I have received two email confirmations from CVmailUK confirming receipt of my application, 20 minutes apart. Should I email cvmailuk to check the error or mishcon? feeling nervous that I have only recognised this 10 days late and don't know what to do? any advice would be appreciated
    If the error you're worried about is the double confirmation of receipt, I would hold off on emailing as this can happen due to system settings. In any case, even if you were to email the firm of CVMailUK, I'm unsure what that would achieve as even though the emails were sent twice, they confirm receipt so that's not really a problem in itself. If you're still feeling worried, I think the best place to begin is by either mailing grad rec or CvMailUK and asking them if it is normal for you to receive two confirmation emails and whether you need to be concerned about anything.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    This is just a guess but it might be because the company have capital from investors which it could use to buy assets like property, inventory and vehicles. These items are classed as equity on the balance sheet, which is why it looks like it has a high net value but it does not mean the company is necessarily turning over a profit from the business itself.
    Just to add a small point to this brilliant answer - IP can also increase the value of a start-up!

To quote from this article here -

A startup's worth is based on its potential to generate future cash flows, how much potential it has for future aspects, and keeping other essential factors constant. Apart from revenue generation, job generation statistics also matter. Investors believe that the startup they are investing in will grow to be a giant one day and that they will be able to make a profit of nearly ten times their initial investment. This risk allows them to stay competitive and keeps them in the play. Therefore, when valuing or comprehending startups, their prospects are perceived rather than the losses.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi Guys! I am currently working in the UK with my tier 2 visa, and applying to vacation schemes for spring and summer. I am wondering if I can do my vacation scheme with my tier 2 visa (I can take a break from my current job for the VS period), or firms should sponsor me again. I am confused regarding this.
    @Jessica Booker Can you help me please?
    Thanks.
    I doubt you can do a vacation scheme on your work visa - you generally need to find a job in the sam occupation code or on the job shortage list and even then it's limited to 20 hours per week. Unsure if any firm can/would take the effort to sponsor a separate work visa simply for a vac scheme. I would check the terms and conditions of your employment on gov.uk for detailed info on this. I'd also consider making direct TC applications to bypass the need for a visa/vac scheme.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.