Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica for your response. Apologies, I shouldn't have said whether I could proceed with TC applications on the basis that I have a qualifying law but rather could I proceed on the basis that I am a law graduate as opposed to a non law graduate.

For example the 2024 Training Contract application at Greenberg Truarig requires applicants to either be a law graduate or a non-law graduate who has already completed the PGDL. I have reached out to grad recruitment to confirm whether I would be eligible to apply but I have not heard anything back.
Unfortunately there isn’t a set way firms deal with this. Some will consider you a law applicant, others won’t. So you will need to persevere with contacting firms to check their stance on this.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Hi everyone. I am due to start the sqe on a firm sponsorship in September but I am kind of freaking out about the financial situation. We are to attend in London, and the course runs from September up until July as they are doing the BPP complete course. The firm said they are only offering 7k, which was quite a shock to me as other firms doing the same course are offering 15-20k maintenance! 7k for 10 months is just not simply not enough to cover rent, never mind any living expenses. I am even concerned a part time job (I’m guessing no more than 20 hours otherwise it will be impossible to really put my all into the sqe) will not adequately cover it. The firm have said that you can apply for postgrad funding because it’s a masters, but this is not applicable to me because I already have a masters and therefore have already applied and received postgrad funding several years ago. I am very concerned of what to do and I am not sure whether to explain this to the firm but I do not want to sound ungrateful. I thought 7k was OK if the course ended in April, but now they are doing the complete course- I think I was expecting them to provide a maintenance grant similar to firms like Freshfields and HSF.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone. I am due to start the sqe on a firm sponsorship in September but I am kind of freaking out about the financial situation. We are to attend in London, and the course runs from September up until July as they are doing the BPP complete course. The firm said they are only offering 7k, which was quite a shock to me as other firms doing the same course are offering 15-20k maintenance! 7k for 10 months is just not simply not enough to cover rent, never mind any living expenses. I am even concerned a part time job (I’m guessing no more than 20 hours otherwise it will be impossible to really put my all into the sqe) will not adequately cover it. The firm have said that you can apply for postgrad funding because it’s a masters, but this is not applicable to me because I already have a masters and therefore have already applied and received postgrad funding several years ago. I am very concerned of what to do and I am not sure whether to explain this to the firm but I do not want to sound ungrateful. I thought 7k was OK if the course ended in April, but now they are doing the complete course- I think I was expecting them to provide a maintenance grant similar to firms like Freshfields and HSF.
I would mention your concerns to the firm. It is not about being ungrateful, it is about explaining its not financially viable for you to rely on the £7k alone and that the options they have outlined are not possible for you.

They may not be able to increase the grant, but they might be able to provide other forms of support - that could include a loan that is then recovered from your trainee salary, or even the part-time work to help you earn around your studies.

• 🤝
Reactions: Alison C

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I would mention your concerns to the firm. It is not about being ungrateful, it is about explaining its not financially viable for you to rely on the £7k alone and that the options they have outlined are not possible for you.

They may not be able to increase the grant, but they might be able to provide other forms of support - that could include a loan that is then recovered from your trainee salary, or even the part-time work to help you earn around your studies.
Hello @Jessica Booker just a slightly related question here. For firms that advertise their maintenance grants to be 17k, is that amount pure grant or a combination of grant + loan (say 12k in pure grant and the rest is loan that is deducted from your trainee salary)? Just curious. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker just a slightly related question here. For firms that advertise their maintenance grants to be 17k, is that amount pure grant or a combination of grant + loan (say 12k in pure grant and the rest is loan that is deducted from your trainee salary)? Just curious. Thanks.
If they are saying the maintenance grant is £17k, I would expect this to be a full maintenance grant allowance and not part loan.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , do I need to include cover letter formalities for the following: Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst. (750 words)
No - I don’t think that is necessary. I’d only go with the formalities of a cover letter if it asks for a cover letter.

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

strugglinglawstudent99

Junior Lawyer
Jul 19, 2022
Hi everyone, I'm due to start my due to start my SQE prep course in September, sponsored by my TC firm. I applied for the course through lawcabs (more of formality, guaranteed a spot), and the portal says my application has been released to the institution - but I haven't heard anything back yet. This was nearly a month ago. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm an international so will need the relevant info from BPP to apply for my visa.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker does that mean I can leave the following first sentence or should I still introduce myself? I.e. I am a non-law/law grad and currently working in [x].
I don't think you need to introduce yourself as this information is going to be elsewhere in your application (your name, what you are studying/what you are currently doing).

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is anyone else very concerned about such low SQE pass rates? Will my firm drop me if I fail
You need to look at your offer letter details as any terms around passing the LPC or SQE will be included in that.

I think many firms are thinking of allowing one resit though as a minimum, even if it is only for the first couple of years for the SQE. But I think a lot of firms are also considering things on a case by case basis if it is something they will offer.

The LPC pass rate was only around 57% though - so its not dramatically different. It is just sponsored trainees had a much higher pass rate than the LPC in general, which is why many firms will future trainees are concerned about this. Although sponsored candidates still have a slightly higher pass rate for the SQE than general candidates, it is no where near as much (only about 12-14% difference rather than 30-45%).

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
You need to look at your offer letter details as any terms around passing the LPC or SQE will be included in that.

I think many firms are thinking of allowing one resit though as a minimum, even if it is only for the first couple of years for the SQE. But I think a lot of firms are also considering things on a case by case basis if it is something they will offer.

The LPC pass rate was only around 57% though - so its not dramatically different. It is just sponsored trainees had a much higher pass rate than the LPC in general, which is why many firms will future trainees are concerned about this. Although sponsored candidates still have a slightly higher pass rate for the SQE than general candidates, it is no where near as much (only about 12-14% difference rather than 30-45%).
Hi Jess, do you have any thoughts on why sponsored candidates aren't doing as well in the SQE compared to the LPC, considering SQE and LPC pass rates are similar.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, do you have any thoughts on why sponsored candidates aren't doing as well in the SQE compared to the LPC, considering SQE and LPC pass rates are similar.
I think its the nature of the assessments. With the LPC, sponsored candidates could choose electives aligned to the area they would be working in and/or would have bespoke courses, some of which allowed a better staggering of modules/assessments. There were also different forms of assessment methods like open book exams. That flexibility has gone with the SQE and so I think you don't necessarily have the advantages that flexibility brings.

• ℹ️
Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
To add, it's probably also because sponsored trainees during the LPC had a lot more precedent answers, model responses and a network of people that have taken the exam (and who may be willing to share resources), given the course is relatively tailored and unchanging.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.