TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

morris23

Dec 27, 2021
1) no - they would t have offered it to you if that was the case

2) not sure what you mean by this, but I guess it’s just asking them what the differences in the opportunities are.

3) That isn’t correct. There is no harm in asking - worst thing they can do is say no, which is in no different a position than you are now.

Sounds like firm B are your preference and so doing the one week scheme with firm A just seems the logical approach, but you could ask B whether there is any chance to move to their later scheme and that could give you the benefit of securing longer schemes with both firms
Thank you! I have asked firm B if I can change dates due to another (also true) reason. I did mention that I was working things out with other firms too, as I didn't want to hide the fact that I'm trying to shift things around, but I have left it up to firm B whether they think my circumstances warrant a date change. If not, I will go for the week-long scheme from firm A and stay with my original dates for B. Hopefully things work out :)

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Any tips to get over post-AC stress regarding the outcome? I'm trying to distract myself and do other things, but I still keep replaying parts of the AC in my head lol and thinking of what I could've done differently :(

LL

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 22, 2021
    Is it worth contacting a firm to check for updates after the final-round interview? It’s been a little over a month.

I always think that they’ll contact me once they know the outcome, so there’s little reason to check in. A small part of me is still feeling a little restless though. Do firms ever forget to contact unsuccessful applicants?

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Is it worth contacting a firm to check for updates after the final-round interview? It’s been a little over a month.

I always think that they’ll contact me once they know the outcome, so there’s little reason to check in. A small part of me is still feeling a little restless though. Do firms ever forget to contact unsuccessful applicants?
    If it's been a month, I think you should drop them an email asking for an update. There were some firms last year that didn't tell candidates for almost 3 months after their AC, so it's definitely possible that they forget to contact.

Reactions: newtothis and LL

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    I want to message an Associate at a law firm where I have a VS in the summer but I'm not sure how I would go about it. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.
    Honestly, I wouldn’t. Contact the associate via email when you start the vs provided you have a good reason. For example I had talks with associates in seats I was interested in. I don’t see the point in doing this beforehand and if I’m being honest, I can only see this looking bad for you not good

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Honestly, I wouldn’t. Contact the associate via email when you start the vs provided you have a good reason. For example I had talks with associates in seats I was interested in. I don’t see the point in doing this beforehand and if I’m being honest, I can only see this looking bad for you not good
    It really depends on the motivations of the person reaching out and whether they have a genuine reason. It's unlikely to look bad to reach out to someone ahead of a vacation scheme though. At most, the associate may just be too busy to respond.

• 🤝
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Any tips to get over post-AC stress regarding the outcome? I'm trying to distract myself and do other things, but I still keep replaying parts of the AC in my head lol and thinking of what I could've done differently :(
    Hey! You certainly aren't alone in feeling this. It can be hard not to stress when it's something important to you.

You might find this thread helpful.

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101, LS_1998 and IT7

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma,

I wanted to ask - How does Willkie assess vacation schemers for a training contract? And is the vacation scheme the only route to a TC at Willkie?

I would also appreciate any advice you have for anyone who has secured a vacation scheme to convert it into a TC offer.

Thank you.

Hi @aspire_solicitor

We only recruit our trainees via our vacation schemes, we don't have a direct route. All of our vacation schemers will do work for a variety of associates and partners and we receive feedback on the work. We do not have centrally set assessments on the vacation scheme, as we have a four stage process (application form, video interview, written exercise and partner interview) to reach the vacation scheme itself.

Many thanks
    Gemma

Reactions: Jaysen and Ali A
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.