TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denver

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 20, 2020
Does anyone know who the named partner 'Frank' at Fried Frank LLP is?

From my research, his name was Hans Frank. Hans Frank was a German convicted war criminal for Nazi crimes.

Does anyone know if that's the same person? and if so, why would Fried Frank keep him as a named partner?

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021

From my research, his name was Hans Frank. Hans Frank was a German convicted war criminal for Nazi crimes.

Does anyone know if that's the same person? and if so, why would Fried Frank keep him as a named partner?

Interesting, it turns out that Hans J. Frank (one of the partners in the firm's name) was a lawyer who assisted victims of Nazism. You can read more about him here:

Reactions: Denver

Denver

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 20, 2020
Interesting, it turns out that Hans J. Frank (one of the partners in the firm's name) was a lawyer who assisted victims of Nazism. You can read more about him here:

Thanks for this. It's probably a different lawyer named Hans Frank then

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Very much doubt it’s the same person.

The name Hans and surname Frank would be very common in Germany and other European countries (possibly still is).

Reactions: FM302989 and Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What happens when a law firm like INCE group goes into administration??
What happened to their trainees? Or future trainees? Do they have to reapply for training contracts? Seems so unfair
Sometimes there is a coordinated effort to accommodate current trainees into other law firms - this happened with Dewey LeBouef, King & Wood Mallesons and a couple of other firms went bust. You have to get sign off from the SRA to move training provider but in such circumstances you can move (under the old LPC qualification system anyway).

Unfortunately this is a risk anyone takes when accepting a TC (or any job for that matter). The job cannot be guaranteed beyond the firm and if the firm no longer exists, then the job can’t either - it will be no different to any other employee of the firm.

Last edited:
Reactions: newtothis

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know if there is a database/similar of insights from vacation schemes for different firms?
I can't think of anything that gives insight into the schemes themselves if that's what you are looking for.

I'd contact previous vac schemers via LinkedIn if you are trying to get an insight of a particular firm before a vacation scheme you have secured.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Hey everyone,

I just had my first ever AC with White & Case. I was generally pretty happy with the interview and was able to relax and enjoyed it, but feel I completely bombed the written exercise.

I feel my structure was fine and I finished but I didn't understand the content of the documents provided at all, so everything I was writing was jumbled and confused. Is a poor written exercise pretty determinative of no VS? Or can you get by on the strength of an interview? Really demoralised :(

cycw

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
Hi!

With a question like this: 'Real or fictional, who is your greatest inspiration and why?"

It's not a very typical 'Tell me a time...' question... Would any others/TCLA team be able to provide directions on how to structure the response please? Let's say my mother is my greatest inspiration.

Thanks a million! :)

@Jessica Booker

Last edited:

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hey everyone,

I just had my first ever AC with White & Case. I was generally pretty happy with the interview and was able to relax and enjoyed it, but feel I completely bombed the written exercise.

I feel my structure was fine and I finished but I didn't understand the content of the documents provided at all, so everything I was writing was jumbled and confused. Is a poor written exercise pretty determinative of no VS? Or can you get by on the strength of an interview? Really demoralised :(
    The interview is definitely weighted higher!

For W&C I didn't understand the content of the documents either and the only thing I thought I did well was the structure. Also had no time to proofread and there were spelling mistakes in my written assessment,

I also know someone who was also successful and was cut halfway through a sentence.

Don't overthink it too much, I let my written assessment worry me till I got my decision but it honestly isn't worth it especially if you think the interview went well!

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    The interview is definitely weighted higher!

For W&C I didn't understand the content of the documents either and the only thing I thought I did well was the structure. Also had no time to proofread and there were spelling mistakes in my written assessment,

I also know someone who was also successful and was cut halfway through a sentence.

Don't overthink it too much, I let my written assessment worry me till I got my decision but it honestly isn't worth it especially if you think the interview went well!

Thanks, that's really reassuring :)

Were you successful if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: Ali A
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.