TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    And they're fine with you taking just one day off in the week? Sorry I'm not too sure how it works, I thought most people take weeks off at a time
    Hey, so when it comes to AL - as someone who has literally utilised all theirs within their first 6 months of the role (sad times) - you can request leave for whatever and whenever.

Whether they accept it is at their discretion, however they usually will have a good reason for saying no e.g. “everyone in the team is on AL that day, we need you in”.

As for amount of leave, I have never known a company to deny leave requests for being too short. In fact, I think they’d prefer shorter leaves as it doesn’t impact resource as much. It’s leave that is longer than 2 weeks that is usually frowned upon.

My advice would be to wait until you have confirmation and request one day of leave. If you want to get ahead due to notice, then put in a prospective request and say to your manager you will confirm closer to the time.

It’s easier to have leave booked and cancel at the time rather than not have it booked and immediately expect it.

As for reasons, I don’t think you should tell them regardless of whether they support you or not. At the end of the day, they’re a business and you’re their resource. If they have any sense you’re not serious about the role, you may eventually get ignored for promotions because they question how long you’ll actually stay there for. So just say it’s a family event.

Reactions: sxw517

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hey, so when it comes to AL - as someone who has literally utilised all theirs within their first 6 months of the role (sad times) - you can request leave for whatever and whenever.

Whether they accept it is at their discretion, however they usually will have a good reason for saying no e.g. “everyone in the team is on AL that day, we need you in”.

As for amount of leave, I have never known a company to deny leave requests for being too short. In fact, I think they’d prefer shorter leaves as it doesn’t impact resource as much. It’s leave that is longer than 2 weeks that is usually frowned upon.

My advice would be to wait until you have confirmation and request one day of leave. If you want to get ahead due to notice, then put in a prospective request and say to your manager you will confirm closer to the time.

It’s easier to have leave booked and cancel at the time rather than not have it booked and immediately expect it.

As for reasons, I don’t think you should tell them regardless of whether they support you or not. At the end of the day, they’re a business and you’re their resource. If they have any sense you’re not serious about the role, you may eventually get ignored for promotions because they question how long you’ll actually stay there for. So just say it’s a family event.
    thank you very much.

Reactions: LegallyBrown

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    And they're fine with you taking just one day off in the week? Sorry I'm not too sure how it works, I thought most people take weeks off at a time
    I mean it's not unusual to have the option to take half a day off if required. Trust me, no one will suspect you are interviewing for other roles just because you have a singular day off!

Reactions: NMA

WAL007

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 19, 2022
    Hi Guys, I secured a TC in my dream firm and this forum and community really helped me in achieving that goal. Shout out to the TCLA team for creating a platform where aspiring solicitors can interact and share their experiences. I will return to this platform soon when I begin my SQE! 😂

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Does anyone know how long Macfarlanes take to get back to people post-AC?
    They did say by the end of the week of your AC. So if you had an AC yesterday, then by the end of tomorrow you should hear back.

Personally, myself and another girl who were at the AC yesterday have not heard back yet (if that helps). So fingers crossed our phone lines are popping tomorrow.

I get so scared of checking my emails, everytime I see the inbox count go up I have like a mini heart attack (what a painful rule - I wish they didn’t tell us about it)

amrita6399

Valued Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 13, 2023
    Hey guys! I have a telephone interview with NRF next week. I wanted to know the kind of questions they ask and how long an answer should be since it's my first interview. Any kind of help will be really helpful 😊

Thank you!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Loads of people take days off for appointments/days out - it’s not uncommon at all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys!

Does anyone know if it is ok to discuss experiences/lessons from a vacation scheme at a different firm during the competencies section of a TC interview?

Thanks!!
    Definitely - as long as they are your strongest examples of the competency and you are not just using them because the are a “vacation scheme” example.

legalbeagle

Jan 16, 2021
    Ahh, when did you do the test Btw ? Did u ask them for the results ?

Hi, does anyone have any information about the SH written exercise? there seems to be very little information available about what it entails online? Thanks!!
    Hi, well done on getting to that stage. I just submitted my WG - how long after your WG did you hear back? Thanks

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    jus want HL + W&C to put me out of my misery
    Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF
    This.

• 🤝
    Reactions: mfuturetrainee

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    has anyone asked for WG test results from Freshfields and gotten a reply?? i sent them a 2nd email after sending one 10 days ago to ask for it

i hope they get back to me soon ik theyre doing interviews and ACs for tcs etc but i jus wanna find out whether my app was weaker in comparison to WG or vice versa

• Dislike
    Reactions: NJS and F99
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.