TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
I would say it is important to talk about the reasons why the firm attracts you in the first place, whether it is their practice areas, quality of their deals, international opportunities, its lawyers or diversity initiatives. I would make sure to also highlight how attending the open day will help you understand the impact that you could have as a commercial solicitor at the firm. I really hope this helps and good luck with the application! @Tomatosoup
thanks Alex ! Would I also talk about what I would like to know about the firm further / who id like to meet at the open day?

Reactions: axelbeugre

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
Hi guys, I have a question regarding one of SQB's questions:

"Please select a skill from the list below and provide an example of how you have developed this skill within your previous experience."

Would this mean they only want ONE single example from ONE of your experiences? Or would it be okay to talk about several experiences of how you have developed this particular skill you chose?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi guys, I have a question regarding one of SQB's questions:

"Please select a skill from the list below and provide an example of how you have developed this skill within your previous experience."

Would this mean they only want ONE single example from ONE of your experiences? Or would it be okay to talk about several experiences of how you have developed this particular skill you chose?
since they specifically said AN EXAMPLE and A SKILL I would stick to one skill and one example! Maybe the example can be very detailed if you will! Good luck with your application and I am hoping it goes well! @celinenlp

Reactions: legallybrunette8

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey guys!

Last year i applied for a vs with Dechert and got through the first stage(application form) but not the second. I am applying again and i was wondering if in the application i should fully change my answers or keep the same answers and just make them better, since they got me through last time.

Thankyouu
I think it would be worth reapplying with a new application. This would enable you to create new answers and convey your points across in a new and innovative way, always with the knowledge of having done a good application previously. I hoe that this helps, good luck with everything! @gggg

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I'm currently in the process of filling out the application form for the Hogan Lovells vacation scheme. Once of the questions is asking for me to tell them about something I have done that shows I have an entrepreneurial spirit. What kinds of experiences can I talk about for this question - is it just limited to running some kind of business?
You could also tell an innovative approach you showed when tackling a task during an internship or professional experience, or during a group project at university, I feel like things like this also work in showing your entrepreneurial spirit. Good luck with HL application! @livrobertson

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
I believe Slaughter & May has never merger before - they were set up as S&M from day 1. Therefore, curious if they have ever been offered a merger?
They are distinct from most firms.

Look up lockstep compensation.

They also don’t report their PEP.

The ‘best friends’ network too.

They’re still not an LLP either.

Client base is top notch too.

Slaughter and May, not &.

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
since they specifically said AN EXAMPLE and A SKILL I would stick to one skill and one example! Maybe the example can be very detailed if you will! Good luck with your application and I am hoping it goes well! @celinenlp
thanks a lot for this Axel! I was also wondering what the fail-safe approach would be to answer: "Why do you want to pursue a legal career at X firm?"

Do you have any tips or structure on how to go about this question?

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Has anyone done Ashurst/ HSF WVS applications yet? I'm debating doing WVS or SVS and want to know how hard you found the apps
    Hey, I just submitted my application for Ashurst WVS and it was not that bad. It was basically a cover letter, a question about why them, and then a standard question on what you think a commercial lawyer does. However, I would say that their online assessment was awful. No matter how they spin it, or whatever anyone says, you cannot convince me a candidates ability to burst numerous balloons that contain the correct equations for a given figure (within 10 seconds) is indicative of numerical problem solving. If that's the case, I expect that these law firms do not actually ask their clients for copies of their financial accounts anymore, and instead provide them with a pack of balloons, a dry wipe marker, and a stopwatch. Good luck, if you do apply I would suggest practising your speed on these sort of games (the Elevate/Peak App on App Store is great for this).

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Jones day deadline is on the 20th of October and is rolling, is it still worth applying or should I submit for the spring scheme which closes on the 31st of December?!?!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Jones day deadline is on the 20th of October and is rolling, is it still worth applying or should I submit for the spring scheme which closes on the 31st of December?!?!
    That is still nearly four weeks away - most people won't apply until the last week (and actually the last couple of days), so I would apply to the programme that works best for you timings wise with your commitments.

Reactions: NJS

nma123

Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2022
    Hey, I just submitted my application for Ashurst WVS and it was not that bad. It was basically a cover letter, a question about why them, and then a standard question on what you think a commercial lawyer does. However, I would say that their online assessment was awful. No matter how they spin it, or whatever anyone says, you cannot convince me a candidates ability to burst numerous balloons that contain the correct equations for a given figure (within 10 seconds) is indicative of numerical problem solving. If that's the case, I expect that these law firms do not actually ask their clients for copies of their financial accounts anymore, and instead provide them with a pack of balloons, a dry wipe marker, and a stopwatch. Good luck, if you do apply I would suggest practising your speed on these sort of games (the Elevate/Peak App on App Store is great for this).
    haha yes totally agree, I did the assessment yesterday and it was so stressful honestly that balloon game had me sweating, like I've not done mental maths since GCSEs. Watson Glaser is bliss compared - something I never thought I'd say

Reactions: Tintin06

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Does anyone have any advice on do's and don't for VS app questions asking about a topic you're interested in? I did a few of them last year and thought I did well, but when I received feedback from firms they said that this was my weaker question in comparison to other candidates and is why I didn't get an interview. Any advice would be really appreciated <3

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    thanks a lot for this Axel! I was also wondering what the fail-safe approach would be to answer: "Why do you want to pursue a legal career at X firm?"

Do you have any tips or structure on how to go about this question?
    No worries at all! Whenever it comes to this question I would stick to a three pointers answer highlighting:

1. A practice area that you are extremely interested and that the firm excels at (ALWAYS making sure to link your interest back to your personal or professional or academic experiences)

2. Variety of clients, interesting deals or recent captivating pieces of news regarding the firm (for instance a new merger that might create great learning opportunities during your tc at the firm) or n expansion in a location of interest to you (and LAWAYS link it back to WHY that interests you)

3. I would highlight diversity initiatives, international opportunities or fascinating pro bono opportunities that are very interesting to you and link it back to you once again

I hope this structure helps, I always used this structure and it worked really well so I hope it will help you you too!

Good luck!

@celinenlp

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.