TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Was hoping for some advice surrounding what is classed as a mitigating circumstance. For example, would caring for an elderly relative during your studies count (even if you were not legally registered as a carer)

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Was hoping for some advice surrounding what is classed as a mitigating circumstance. For example, would caring for an elderly relative during your studies count (even if you were not legally registered as a carer)
    Were your caring responsibilities made known to your faculty/university? If there’s a written record of it that you can get from your university and if you can adequately communicate how it impacted your studies on an application then I don’t see why not! Especially if you lived with the carer; late nights, maybe not being able to spend as much time on campus because you have to go home to them, any financial responsibility you might have taken on. But it all goes back to documentary evidence being available in case a firm asks for it.

I have mit circs and on every application, I always say there is documentary evidence available upon request and so far, no one has asked me for it yet. I’m assuming it comes if a job offer is made so just keep that in mind!

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Were your caring responsibilities made known to your faculty/university? If there’s a written record of it that you can get from your university and if you can adequately communicate how it impacted your studies on an application then I don’t see why not! Especially if you lived with the carer; late nights, maybe not being able to spend as much time on campus because you have to go home to them, any financial responsibility you might have taken on. But it all goes back to documentary evidence being available in case a firm asks for it.

I have mit circs and on every application, I always say there is documentary evidence available upon request and so far, no one has asked me for it yet. I’m assuming it comes if a job offer is made so just keep that in mind!
    Mostly during my A-Levels and no, my school weren't aware.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Mostly during my A-Levels and no, my school weren't aware.
    I think that might be more difficult but honestly, it’s worth a shot. Don’t let it stop you from applying and make the firm aware too. I think if you’re at uni now, and you’re getting mid to high 2:1s and firsts in a lot of your modules; that could help too. Because it shows that without those factors, you’re very much capable of getting the grades they want

Reactions: jplaw1010

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    I think that might be more difficult but honestly, it’s worth a shot. Don’t let it stop you from applying and make the firm aware too. I think if you’re at uni now, and you’re getting mid to high 2:1s and firsts in a lot of your modules; that could help too. Because it shows that without those factors, you’re very much capable of getting the grades they want
    Thanks very much for the advice :)

• Love
    Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

Yusuf391

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 1, 2023
    Has anyone not yet heard from Taylor Wessing? I got an email (unprompted) saying they would get back to applicants “by w/c 1 Dec” which was a Friday. Would normally leave it but test is only live for 7 days if you get an invite and it’s 5th today… I don’t want to chase too soon but don’t want to miss an opportunity if I wasn’t notified for some reason. Not saying I expect a test invite but I don’t want to risk not checking in with them in case I do

I got the same unprompted email but have not heard anything else since then.

Reactions: LawEnthus

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Just got accepted for an Open day but realized I won't be able to make it cos I'll be out of UK. I love this firm. How do I explain best that I really do want them but this just won't be it for now?
    Happened to me with BCLP! Emailed them the same day that I got the open day invite (which was for February 2023) and they offered to put me onto the next open day (tomorrow!). I communicated how much I liked the firm and I think it resonated with grad rec so definitely show your enthusiasm for wanting to attend

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    How would you go about answering a 'describe a commercial news story' question? What components should I be talking about here? Would appreciate any insight!
    Things I would do are:
    • Write a brief summary of the commercial news you have decided to talk about. Make sure you use clear and easy language as it is important to remember that more often than note graduate recruitment is reading those and as much as they might know a lot about the topic, it will still be challenging to read a very difficult piece of writing with complex language.
    • Make sure that you say the article you read this information from, if you read it somewhere, however this is not always necessary. I personally dived straight into the article so you may want to ask future trainees at the firm about how they went above this specifically.
    • Include a link to the legal sector (and the firm you are applying to) if possible. I think this would be a good thing to do as you show you understand a commercial topic and how it impacts the legal sector and potentially the firm you would be working for. For example, for my Goodwin application, I talked about the discrepancy between U.S. and E.U. subsidies for green technology and how tech start-ups were deciding to relocate from their European birth place to the United States because of the economic benefits that the US offers for green technology firms. I included a paragraph towards the end of my answer talking about how this piece of news could have a huge impact on law firms such as Goodwin and its clients. Specifically, the firm will need to keep up to date with the change in legal provisions to better help its clients and mentioning some of Goodwin's departments that might be involved in this trend.
    I think that the example I gave you is what I always did for the commercial questions in my applications. I hope this is helpful and good luck with you application cycle!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.