TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

LawEnthus

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
Has anyone not yet heard from Taylor Wessing? I got an email (unprompted) saying they would get back to applicants “by w/c 1 Dec” which was a Friday. Would normally leave it but test is only live for 7 days if you get an invite and it’s 5th today… I don’t want to chase too soon but don’t want to miss an opportunity if I wasn’t notified for some reason. Not saying I expect a test invite but I don’t want to risk not checking in with them in case I do

Reactions: Yusuf391 and Sharon Wu

PFO Magnet

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 27, 2023
Has anyone not yet heard from Taylor Wessing? I got an email (unprompted) saying they would get back to applicants “by w/c 1 Dec” which was a Friday. Would normally leave it but test is only live for 7 days if you get an invite and it’s 5th today… I don’t want to chase too soon but don’t want to miss an opportunity if I wasn’t notified for some reason. Not saying I expect a test invite but I don’t want to risk not checking in with them in case I do
I haven't heard from them and haven't received the email you received either.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    For anyone that did the BBC apprenticeship Capp test how did you find it?

I can sense a PFO coming my way by the end of the week!

results:
    deducting conclusions: Average
    drawing logical inferences: Average
    evaluating evidence: lower scoring area
    identifying assumptions: above average
    judging arguments: average

not hopeful with my evaluating evidence section brining me down lol but I had only remembered after 4 hours on a Ryanair plane in the middle seat. Completed the test on a national express coach with 4 mins to spare before the deadline time, not the most exotic place 🤣🤣

• Haha
    Reactions: Ash2323

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    At what point would you consider applying to a rolling deadline wasted effort?

If I apply the day of or the day before the deadline, is it so unlikely to be considered that it’s better to focus the effort on other firms given the time/effort needed to be put into one application?
    I would never say that applying to a firm is a wasted effort especially if applications are still open. You actually never know but the law firm might be waiting until the last minute to see the competition and to confirm whether the people they liked are the best or more qualified candidates are applying just a little bit later, but are still worth giving a chance to. However, I would say that realistically speaking the day of and the day before the deadline (even the week of) are probably to be avoided to have a concrete chance of at least having your application reviewed.

This is my opinion of course but I do think that it is firm specific, and it really depends on the culture of the firm and how they are used to do things in the recruitment process. But generally, the sooner you apply, the better.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    DLA Piper AC invite!! Only issue is it's on the same day as WFW's Open Day lol. Does anyone have any experience with requesting a different date for an AC? Are they likely to accommodate or should I just cut my losses? 😂
    Congratulations for obtaining an assessment centre at DLA Piper, this is huge!

I would email WFW and ask if they can put you in the next Open Day cohort. If that is not the case, in my person opinion, an assessment centre is probably more important than an Open Day, so I would do the assessment centre as that is a concrete chance to get a vacation scheme, and ultimately a training contract, which is the whole point of the hard work you are putting in.

Of course it depends on you and what you think, if WFW is one of your top choices, maybe you can ask DLA Piper to move your assessment centre. However, I would do this for things out of your control that you cannot possibly change or avoid attending.

Good luck with the assessment centre and congratulations again!

Reactions: CorporateCrocodile

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    How would you go about answering a 'describe a commercial news story' question? What components should I be talking about here? Would appreciate any insight!
    Firstly, if it’s an article, I’d name it. So full title, date and name of publication. Summarise it, why it’s interesting to you/your opinion on it, what are the commercial implications of the story on the legal field (for example, AI, firms in general want to start using AI to give advice to clients etc) then finally, how it relates to that firm/the work they do! This is how I approached a similar question 😊

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    Firstly, if it’s an article, I’d name it. So full title, date and name of publication. Summarise it, why it’s interesting to you/your opinion on it, what are the commercial implications of the story on the legal field (for example, AI, firms in general want to start using AI to give advice to clients etc) then finally, how it relates to that firm/the work they do! This is how I approached a similar question 😊
    Ahh this is very helpful, thank you!! :)

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    omg ive been reading your posts for so long, IM ROOTING FOR U BEST OF LUCK

You Got This Go Get Em GIF
    ME TOO, rooting for you!

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.