TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

My entire cohort for the Allen & Overy Winter Vacation Scheme were given training contract offers! There was 31 of us, it's actually insane but I'm so glad I did this scheme. For anyone who has upcoming Summer vacation scheme at A&O, feel free to reach out for tips!

*Also, for anyone thinking about A&O, I defo recommend because now with the merger with Shearman Sterling, us trainees should hopefully get a massive pay rise to match the US firms cause I don't see how anyone at Shearman would accept a pay decrease AND if you like the USA, there'll be way more opportunities to work in NYC, DC, Texas and California.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any tips on getting a poor interview performance out of your head? Thanks to my ADHD, I tend to hyper-focus on any errors/poorly worded answers and then spiral... 🥺
For everything you think you did wrong, write down something you think you did right, even if it seems quite small/minor.

I suspect the “wrong” things you are highlighting are also minor in the grand scheme of things, so at least it gets you to put some balance into your thinking.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My entire cohort for the Allen & Overy Winter Vacation Scheme were given training contract offers! There was 31 of us, it's actually insane but I'm so glad I did this scheme. For anyone who has upcoming Summer vacation scheme at A&O, feel free to reach out for tips!

*Also, for anyone thinking about A&O, I defo recommend because now with the merger with Shearman Sterling, us trainees should hopefully get a massive pay rise to match the US firms cause I don't see how anyone at Shearman would accept a pay decrease AND if you like the USA, there'll be way more opportunities to work in NYC, DC, Texas and California.
On the pay point (and to manage people’s expectations), you don’t need to decrease people’s salaries, you just phase them out.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t match them and instead allow legacy Shearman staff’s salaries to slowly be eroded through smaller increases/bonuses or as people leave until they are more level with A&Os.

Although A&O could choose to match Shearman’s salaries (or other US firms), that will be a significant increase in costs to them and I personally can’t see them doing that. If you said the average increase was £20k (and that’s just by going off the NQ base salary) that’s going to cost around £70 million alone given the number of lawyers A&O has. I could get this wildly wrong, but everyone else I have spoken to about this seems to think the non-matching approach will be taken.

Undefined

Standard Member
Nov 23, 2023

They are currently culling Finance teams, not Real Estate or anything going wrong, including Associates.

I guess fresh cannon fodder is required for "merger efficiency gains". The cultural impact will be something to behold as well.

Reactions: atlas2425

VacayScheme

Distinguished Member
Nov 14, 2023
Could someone explain what Bates Wells are looking for with this question: "Please tell us about an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment. When answering the question, please consider the Bates Wells values."?

I'm not sure whether added value means something that furthered academic/work success, or if they're looking for something which improved the general environment of a work/education setting (i.e. a society position that helped the student body more generally, a place on a network in a job etc).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.