TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jul 22, 2018
I was looking through the thread w/ Ropes & Gray Grad Recruitment (below) and saw that they won't accept applications from LPC students/graduates...it seems unnecessarily harsh and not logical (especially if individuals are willing to forfeit their exemption and do the entire SQE).

Has anyone emailed them to verify if this is the case or if this rep just got it wrong?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I was looking through the thread w/ Ropes & Gray Grad Recruitment (below) and saw that they won't accept applications from LPC students/graduates...it seems unnecessarily harsh and not logical (especially if individuals are willing to forfeit their exemption and do the entire SQE).

Has anyone emailed them to verify if this is the case or if this rep just got it wrong?

I did and yes they don’t accept LPC candidates.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023
For everything you think you did wrong, write down something you think you did right, even if it seems quite small/minor.

I suspect the “wrong” things you are highlighting are also minor in the grand scheme of things, so at least it gets you to put some balance into your thinking.
Thank you so much, Jess! Great advice.

Also, I'm probably overthinking things but my interviewer mentioned I'd hear about the outcome of my TI -- and thus invite for AC -- at the end of Dec as they're still at the early stages of the recruitment process. She didn't mention, however, that I'd also have to wait because the firm's partners need to review my commercial question before I can proceed to the AC.

Should one infer that I didn't pass the TI stage or am I reading too much into an off-hand comment? Sorry for the silly question!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much, Jess! Great advice.

Also, I'm probably overthinking things but my interviewer mentioned I'd hear about the outcome of my TI -- and thus invite for AC -- at the end of Dec as they're still at the early stages of the recruitment process. She didn't mention, however, that I'd also have to wait because the firm's partners need to review my commercial question before I can proceed to the AC.

Should one infer that I didn't pass the TI stage or am I reading too much into an off-hand comment? Sorry for the silly question!
You are definitely reading too much into it. They said they won’t get back to you until the end of the month. There was nothing about your interview that was determining that - instead their recruitment process and that they would still need to review your commercial question. It’s not even an off-hand comment - I would expect them to explain the next stages and what needed to be considered. I would expect all candidates interviewed around the same time as you were told the same.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    @Jessica Booker

If you are told you’d hear an outcome in 7 working days from today but the 7th day is Christmas Day do I assume the firm would be closed throughout Christmas week and I won’t hear back until January?

In addition if an interviewer speaks about the AC and next steps does that mean I’ve done well or is that just a mandatory thing to say. (I am a huge over thinker) 😭

Reactions: axelbeugre

Undefined

Standard Member
    Nov 23, 2023

Bizarre and absurd to say the least.

Considering someone willing to self fund shows great commitment to law and willing to discount the LPC shows great commitment to wanting to be at that firm come what may.

And if they got a high mark in the LPC, pretty much proven they are ready to practise law and pass the SQE with few issues.

Reactions: bella98

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    When talking about achievements, is it okay to talk about non-academic ones/what can actually be considered as an achievement? Apologies for the very broad question but if anyone has any examples, I would appreciate it!

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    Bizarre and absurd to say the least.

Considering someone willing to self fund shows great commitment to law and willing to discount the LPC shows great commitment to wanting to be at that firm come what may.

And if they got a high mark in the LPC, pretty much proven they are ready to practise law and pass the SQE with few issues.
    Agreed, hoping Ropes & Gray is the only firm doing this!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.