TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ah898

Star Member
  • Nov 9, 2023
    Does anybody have experience with grammatical errors on applications? I accidentally wrote "responsibilities" instead of "responsibility" in one of the work experience boxes and now I am concerned that this will get me rejected
    I’m not sure if it’s that some firms understand that it’s a minor mistake and won’t reject u purely on that basis, or if grad recruitment just didn’t realise, but I spelt Taylor Wessing as Tyler Wessing on mine and got to the next stage.

Reactions: DGI235

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anybody have experience with grammatical errors on applications? I accidentally wrote "responsibilities" instead of "responsibility" in one of the work experience boxes and now I am concerned that this will get me rejected
    I’d guarantee most successful applications have some form of error on them. There is an element of whether that error is spotted, how serious it is (the one you mention is pretty minor), and the strength of your application more generally. At Freshfields we used to do a drafting session with trainees during their induction and 99% of trainees had some form of error on their application (and those were the people they hired).

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

I am researching the A&O merger with Shearman, there are a lot of articles on how the new firm will benefit the former (entering the US market) but not many on how it will affect the latter (Shearman). From my research and understanding, Shearman has always been a firm able to anticipate its clients' needs, as evidenced by establishing its Fintech practice in 2018. The merger will allow Shearman's clients to access a broader range of practice areas which was not possible before.

Do you think I am on the right track? Do you have any tips @axelbeugre?

Thank you in advance

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Describe why a career in commercial law appeals to you. What skills do you think are needed to be a successful commercial lawyer? (300 words max)

What's your opinion on the best way to approach the second part of this question? When answering questions regarding the skills necessary for a successful commercial lawyer/ trainee solicitor, I typically state the skills and link them to my personal experiences (demonstrating that I developed the skills required throughout my journey). However, due to word count limitations, especially after explaining why commercial law in the first part of the question, I find it challenging to cover both aspects. Should I blend the answer why commercial law where I state my experiences with the skills necessary?

My draft right now is: why commercial law for the first part, and the skills needed to be a successful lawyer for the second part (without stating how I developed those skills).
    I think that the way you can approach this question is either blending the answer or dividing in two if that is clearer to you. Ideally, whilst talking about what factors made you want to pursue a career as a commercial lawyer (potentially using what you have already prepared) you can link the skills that you think you have and made you realise that you could utilise them to the best of your ability as a lawyer. So, for instance, you can talk about how you have always been very good at public speaking in high school and you liked getting your points across on a specific matter and you think that this is a crucial skill that a successful lawyer has to possess, and it is also a reason why you feel as though being a lawyer will help you display this skill. This is just a starting point of course but I hope you understand what I mean.

With these kinds of questions there is no right approach but it is all about how you interpret it and answering the question in full, as long as you do that convincingly, I personally believe that all approaches are valid! Moreover, remember that you do not have to mention a crazy amount of skills here, two or three and linking them back to your journey is more than enough.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi guys,

I am researching the A&O merger with Shearman, there are a lot of articles on how the new firm will benefit the former (entering the US market) but not many on how it will affect the latter (Shearman). From my research and understanding, Shearman has always been a firm able to anticipate its clients' needs, as evidenced by establishing its Fintech practice in 2018. The merger will allow Shearman's clients to access a broader range of practice areas which was not possible before.

Do you think I am on the right track? Do you have any tips @axelbeugre?

Thank you in advance
    This is certainly an interesting merger that we will have to wait and see how it plays out but for the most part I agree with you, Shearman and its clients will definitely benefit from accessing a broader range of practice areas and not necessarily only focused on financial services which was Shearman's focus. I do believe that considerations around benefitting from A&O prestige especially in UK and Europe will benefit Shearman and access a more diverse global network. I am sure there are many more benefits but I think it will take some time to see if they come to fruition when the merger is up and running.

Reactions: S87

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Touching on this - does anyone know whether law firms use plagiarism checkers like turnitin?

I'm worried that if I use a similar application to last time (even with a few tweaks) it'll reflect badly (even though it's still my own work).
    I do not think they do but I might be wrong. I do know people who used entire applications and still got through the process so I am assuming they do not.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futurelegallyblonde

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    It happens to everyone and it happened to me many times last year and it was totally fine do not worry at all!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Does anyone have any advice for a first stage Gibson Dunn interview?
    I did it last year and I can tell you it is a very relaxed interview with HR so just be yourself and remember your application in and out. I think it is important to be very personable and a good conversationalist in this interview. I would also recommend having a good answer as to why you want to join the firm, mentioning different aspects of the firm that you like or find interesting. Overall, it is a very chill conversation with someone who just wants to know you. If you have mentioned any experiences abroad, they will ask you a lot about those so I would be prepared to highlight those as it seemed to me that they really liked them!

Reactions: JohnF

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    going to apply to them now simply because of that, that sounds like a fun challenge
    Why do you want to be a lawyer? (60 words max) *

Why are you applying to Withers? (60 words max) *

What do you think makes a good trainee solicitor? (60 words max) *

What has been your most significant non-academic achievement to date? (60 words max) *

Please give details of your current interests and activities including the nature of your involvement (60 words max) *

If you were a character in a video game, what kind of game would it be and what would your special abilities be? (60 words max) *

For anyone else interested in the questions

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.