TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2023
Has anyone heard from Bird & Bird regarding their spring vacation scheme?
Just got a rejection from them after VI. I deserved it, I really flubbed one of my answers, arguably the most important one. Shame, I was so excited about this firm. I know Video Interviews must be terribly efficient but I feel sometimes firms will miss out on great candidates...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sharon Wu

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
I
Why do you want to be a lawyer? (60 words max) *

Why are you applying to Withers? (60 words max) *

What do you think makes a good trainee solicitor? (60 words max) *

What has been your most significant non-academic achievement to date? (60 words max) *

Please give details of your current interests and activities including the nature of your involvement (60 words max) *

If you were a character in a video game, what kind of game would it be and what would your special abilities be? (60 words max) *

For anyone else interested in the questions
I love the last question. Seriously thinking about it now

Reactions: Sharon Wu

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
hey guys, would you name a firm when talking about your interest in an area of law? like "i became interested in X because of my work experience at Y". I've done that for a good majority of my applications and now I'm starting to worry if that's a taboo, or would put me at a disadvantage :/
No, it is not! Your experience at another firm is great evidence of your desire to pursue a legal career and interest in that practice area. Just make sure to be specific: what did you like and why did you like it? I hope it helps :)

cwhite233

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 26, 2020
Hi all! Osborne Clarke ask the following question on its application: 'How have you gone about researching the legal market? What sources of information have you used? How has this led to you making an application to Osborne Clarke?' Does anyone know what is meant specifically by 'legal market'? Is this question essentially asking how you researched law firms and how your research led you to apply to OC? I think some others have posted about this question but unfortunately there haven't been many responses, so grateful for any guidance :)

georgel

Dec 12, 2023
I feel like I've been going throught the 5 stages of grief with these applications and rn it's anger.

Why haven't I heard back from ag, reed Smith, or links if other people have?!
If I've got a pfo why haven't they got the balls to tell me and stop this torture?

Congrats to everyone who had a success today, but sometimes a part of me feels like giving up. Didn't realise there was a rock bottom to law applications but I think I've found it
At the links AC information session they said they send out invites in batches and not all at once, so don't give up!

dinoorchestra

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Why do you want to be a lawyer? (60 words max) *

Why are you applying to Withers? (60 words max) *

What do you think makes a good trainee solicitor? (60 words max) *

What has been your most significant non-academic achievement to date? (60 words max) *

Please give details of your current interests and activities including the nature of your involvement (60 words max) *

If you were a character in a video game, what kind of game would it be and what would your special abilities be? (60 words max) *

For anyone else interested in the questions
    That's pretty cool, actually. I think they are looking to test how concise you can be but still outline what you want to say within a very constricted word limit? Interesting.

Reactions: yasmars

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Is there any way to save the work experience section on Candid or other platforms? I'm tired of filling that out every timeee 😭
    My advice is have google doc with all your work experiences. I have three sections: 100 words, 150 words, and 250 words. This helped me a lot. I wouldn’t trust saving your info and using it across all your apps. I did this for Clifford Chance and there was a glitch which made me look stupid 😭

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hey guys, would you name a firm when talking about your interest in an area of law? like "i became interested in X because of my work experience at Y". I've done that for a good majority of my applications and now I'm starting to worry if that's a taboo, or would put me at a disadvantage :/
    This is really not an issue - you are referencing the firm elsewhere in your application (in your work experience section) and they will expect your interests to be driven from the things you have experienced.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all! Osborne Clarke ask the following question on its application: 'How have you gone about researching the legal market? What sources of information have you used? How has this led to you making an application to Osborne Clarke?' Does anyone know what is meant specifically by 'legal market'? Is this question essentially asking how you researched law firms and how your research led you to apply to OC? I think some others have posted about this question but unfortunately there haven't been many responses, so grateful for any guidance :)
    I think market is throwing people - it could easily be sector or industry. They just means what have you done to learn about the topic/career/industry more generally.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.