TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

SLLLAMA

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2023
Can someone help me get in contact with Fieldfisher grad rec. I emailed them yesterday and today to get them to reset my test as it’s not working and the deadline to complete is today, but I’m yet to receive a response. Not sure what to do

eleven14og

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Clyde & Co PFO. I was told in my rejection email to apply again in in 12 months and that it was my Cappfinity assessment that 'didn't quite hit the mark' for their benchmark.
    So far all i've received is PFO's and im in my second year at uni- do we think that the lack of vacation scheme acceptances can have a bad impact on applications next year and make it harder for me to secure a training contract? I'm really starting to stress out ://///////
    Does anyone also have any advice/been in a similar situation ?
    I've been in a similar situation in my second year. I was literally clueless about applications and had zero work experience so naturally I didnt secure a VS. I went on applying for some internships in my home country and spent the summer in a law firm. I would say polish your CV and cover letter and apply for some legal internships/work experience. You can still apply if you dont currently meet their requirements. I literally submitted my CV to every advertisement and finally landed one. Or get one through your family/friends if you know someone in the industry. Also don't lose hope! You will definitely get better next time you apply

Reactions: futuretrainee2024

J53

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    Like notes about the firm, some bullet points for questions like why law etc
    Depends on what you want to reference. I would keep notes to something you could fit in your jacket pocket to be nimble as I can't imagine anything worse than desperately flicking through notes. Notes could be great for certain commerical things, like are there any commercial events or stories you're looking at. That being said, if you need to refer to notes for the base qs, why law, why commercial law, why this firm, I doubt the interviewer would translate your answer into demonstrating genuine passion. Also make sure you still know the stuff in case they don't let you use them and to avoid making it look like you are just reading off your notes instead of them just being a helpful reminder.

Good luck

Erspencer

Aug 4, 2023
    Has anyone completed a written exercise as part of a virtual assessment centre? I'm interested in understanding how it's conducted. Do they expect you to work on it by yourself, or do they supervise you through a platform like Teams?
    I know it depends but please share your insights with me🥹
    When I had my one for ES everyone sat on teams and the lady from grad rec watched us whilst we did it. But you could hardly tell they were there!

Reactions: bella98

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022
    Clyde & Co PFO. I was told in my rejection email to apply again in in 12 months and that it was my Cappfinity assessment that 'didn't quite hit the mark' for their benchmark.
    So far all i've received is PFO's and im in my second year at uni- do we think that the lack of vacation scheme acceptances can have a bad impact on applications next year and make it harder for me to secure a training contract? I'm really starting to stress out ://///////
    Does anyone also have any advice/been in a similar situation ?
    hey i was also in a similar situation, i ended up applying to internships on linkedin (not entirely legal but networked with lawyers there and got to do some legal work) and got onto a 12 week internship at a tech company :) sparked my interest in tech! And i believe that really helped with my apps in 3rd year even tho it was not super legal! ended up getting a VS in final year and now on a year long legal internship in-house :) all experience is good experience, doesn't just have to be a VS! i think the longer the better personally

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    I've been in a similar situation in my second year. I was literally clueless about applications and had zero work experience so naturally I didnt secure a VS. I went on applying for some internships in my home country and spent the summer in a law firm. I would say polish your CV and cover letter and apply for some legal internships/work experience. You can still apply if you dont currently meet their requirements. I literally submitted my CV to every advertisement and finally landed one. Or get one through your family/friends if you know someone in the industry. Also don't lose hope! You will definitely get better next time you apply
    I second this - during and after my law conversion I was struggling to get legal work experience and I think it takes a lot of persistence + initiative. Even for paralegal roles I applied for over 80+ through things like LinkedIn, indeed, etc and either never heard back or was flat out rejected. I reached out to people on LinkedIn, forums, etc and I landed a role as a paralegal at quite a well known law firm as opposed to going through application ‘portals’. Would defo recommend reaching out to firms via email with a CV and a cover style letter and describe the type of work experience you’re looking for and why you think you would be a good fit. That’s how almost everyone I know from law school got paralegal jobs :) so I think the same would probably be applicable to work experience!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For a in-person AC, are you generally allowed to bring in pre-written notes? Also, will you be able to write notes during the AC day itself (written exercise/case study/partner interview etc)?
    You can bring notes but I’d advise not to really use them in assessments too much - it’s important to use them sparingly. You want to show genuine response rather than rehearsed ones. You can make notes during assessments though.

Reactions: lawstudent15

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.