TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
I know it's kind of late into the application cycle to ask this question, but I've been wondering how everyone has been writing their work experience description. Do you do it in bullet points or paragraphs? In all the firm events I have attended, they've said to choose whichever you're most comfortable with. Personally, I prefer to use bullet points, as it makes it easier to follow what I've done. However, I find that when reviewing my application before submitting it, it kind of looks messy due to the formatting. Just wondering what everyone else is doing.
Most firms prefer to write in prose. Although bulletpoints are straight-forward and concise, prose gives it more structure and you’re able to expand on things to address any concern of the recruiter on your ability to perform for the role. Otherwise it might keep them guessing.

At the end of the day, the recruiters job is to read your application in full. As long as you’re able to capture everything in a digestible manner then it’ll be just as effective as bulletpoints.

Last edited:
Reactions: yxngd2x

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know it's kind of late into the application cycle to ask this question, but I've been wondering how everyone has been writing their work experience description. Do you do it in bullet points or paragraphs? In all the firm events I have attended, they've said to choose whichever you're most comfortable with. Personally, I prefer to use bullet points, as it makes it easier to follow what I've done. However, I find that when reviewing my application before submitting it, it kind of looks messy due to the formatting. Just wondering what everyone else is doing.
You can use bullet points if you can format the text box with them properly (like you can do on this forum). But if you can’t, I would use full sentences, because as you have suggested it just doesn’t look clear/right otherwise in a text box you can’t format.

Reactions: dms21

s9111

Distinguished Member
Aug 17, 2023
I have 2 Silver Circle Summer ACs the first week of March. I'm worried most Vac Scheme places would have been taken, because these are essentially the final slots. Will the timing of my ACs mean it is significantly tougher to get a Summer Vac Scheme offer compared to if I had my ACs, say, mid-Jan?

• Dislike
Reactions: jplaw1010

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    I have 2 Silver Circle Summer ACs the first week of March. I'm worried most Vac Scheme places would have been taken, because these are essentially the final slots. Will the timing of my ACs mean it is significantly tougher to get a Summer Vac Scheme offer compared to if I had my ACs, say, mid-Jan?
    How you’d manage to get AC slots so late, I’ve always had a about 1/2weeks notice for mine

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No - standards will be the same for the first assessment as it will be for the last

Reactions: s9111

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does competency questions covers: Why law and Why this firm or is it more about your key skills, examples of you demonstrating a key skill
    The term typically means assessing skills required for the job (team work, organisational skills etc)

Howwver, I have seen career motivation and commercial awareness be deemed competencies, as you technically need them for the job too. Therefore, it is not impossible that a motivational question could be deemed a competency question.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.