Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, this is just a general recruitment question not necessarily related to law firms.. if a company extends its application deadline (even more so on the original deadline day), is that a sign that they've received less applications than expected?
Not necessarily - it could be the reason, but it may be that the quality of applications is not strong enough or they are looking to improve the diversity of the candidate pool. It can also just be down to delays in the recruitment process which means there is no harm in keeping the application open longer.

Reactions: Bubbles

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
if you are considering applying for a TC in that region, you could cover the personal reasons as to why you will move to the region longer term. But if it is just the view of doing the internship and then qualifying in the U.K., I wouldn’t cover the personal reasons (as they are short term).

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker when receiving an email for an interview they told me I would be asked commercial questions. However, I am not too sure what exactly this might entail apart from competitors to the firm and current issues that law firms are facing. What other commercial questions could I possibly be asked?
There are a number of different commercial awareness question in one section of our interview questions list:

Reactions: axelbeugre

cattlawapps324

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2024
The graduate recruitment team will get lots of questions from candidates post offer - this is not a problem at all. What is the question regarding?
Hi Jess,

I was going to ask if they inform candidates that they have secured a TC after each scheme or at the end of all three schemes. I was also going to ask if there is a higher chance of securing a TC if you do the earlier scheme (athough not sure if this is too direct).

thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess,

I was going to ask if they inform candidates that they have secured a TC after each scheme or at the end of all three schemes. I was also going to ask if there is a higher chance of securing a TC if you do the earlier scheme (athough not sure if this is too direct).

thanks
The first question is fine - I don’t think there is any point asking the second one because 1) there won’t be just because it happens in a certain order and 2) if they did say that everyone would just clamber to get into that scheme over others (and probably change the ratio anyway by doing so). Just ask for the scheme dates that work best for you.

Reactions: cattlawapps324

cattlawapps324

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2024
The first question is fine - I don’t think there is any point asking the second one because 1) there won’t be just because it happens in a certain order and 2) if they did say that everyone would just clamber to get into that scheme over others (and probably change the ratio anyway by doing so). Just ask for the scheme dates that work best for you.
thanks - how does it work then if they have a specified number of trainees that they recruit every year and recrut across three vac schemes and a direct TC route? do you reckon they have a specific target number that they select from each scheme? and do they always stick to the trainee intake number rigidly even if they have many more candidates that meet the benchmark?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thanks - how does it work then if they have a specified number of trainees that they recruit every year and recrut across three vac schemes and a direct TC route? do you reckon they have a specific target number that they select from each scheme? and do they always stick to the trainee intake number rigidly even if they have many more candidates that meet the benchmark?
How many training contracts does the firm offer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Then I don’t think there is much to worry about here.

To get to 33 trainees they will probably have to make around 42-55 offers (depending on their acceptance rate but no firm has a 100% acceptance rate, it typically is between 40-80%).

Some vac schemers are just not going to meet the benchmarks required. That’s probably going to be at least 25%.

Given that, the firm is highly unlikely to over offer or need to worry about how many people they offer within each scheme.

Reactions: cattlawapps324

cattlawapps324

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2024
Then I don’t think there is much to worry about here.

To get to 33 trainees they will probably have to make around 42-55 offers (depending on their acceptance rate but no firm has a 100% acceptance rate, it typically is between 40-80%).

Some vac schemers are just not going to meet the benchmarks required. That’s probably going to be at least 25%.

Given that, the firm is highly unlikely to over offer or need to worry about how many people they offer within each scheme.
what do you mean highly unlikely to over offer? And i didn't even think about the fact that some people won't accept, so just thought they would literally make 33 offers lol

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker when receiving an email for an interview they told me I would be asked commercial questions. However, I am not too sure what exactly this might entail apart from competitors to the firm and current issues that law firms are facing. What other commercial questions could I possibly be asked?
  • They might ask you questions regarding your application answers and anything commercial you have mentioned there so definitely keep up with trends and events you have talked about.
  • They might ask what kind of practice area you would create at the firm following the new trends in the business world?
  • They might ask about what kind of businesses you would invest and why
I hope these are helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.