TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker when receiving an email for an interview they told me I would be asked commercial questions. However, I am not too sure what exactly this might entail apart from competitors to the firm and current issues that law firms are facing. What other commercial questions could I possibly be asked?
  • They might ask you questions regarding your application answers and anything commercial you have mentioned there so definitely keep up with trends and events you have talked about.
  • They might ask what kind of practice area you would create at the firm following the new trends in the business world?
  • They might ask about what kind of businesses you would invest and why
I hope these are helpful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys,

Come here for abit of reassuring and support. Just had a VI which I wasn’t happy with.

What do you do when it’s a question you haven’t prepared for? Something you just simply did not see coming.

I refuse to accept someone can have every possible question ready. It just simply isn’t possible. It’s great when there’s a question you prepared for , or at least something you can weave a slightly different question into.

What are your go to moves when you’re faced with a question you just haven’t heard before? Something you just can’t find an example for in the 10 seconds or so you have to prepare.

It’s all well and good to say a few points, but 1-2 mins for an answer is a long long time. You can’t simply submit a quick 30 second answer.

Any ideas
You don't have to have perfect VI interviews and come across as being completely knowledgeable about a topic.

Lawyers will be asked questions they don't know the answer to all the time. Whether it be a client call or meeting, these things happen a lot and its more about how you handle the question rather than having a prepared answer ready.

That "think on your feet" skill is an important one to have as a lawyer and so it is important to become more comfortable with these situations. However, try not to fixate on the "outcome" of the answer. Focus more on your thinking and if you have to talk through that thinking when answering the question, that might be a way to approach the question.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Lawyer03

Jan 20, 2024
Hi everyone, does anyone have any experience of asking firms for reasonable adjustments at assessment centres? I have dyslexia and receive extra time in university exams. I have an AC with AG coming up and feel I would benefit from extra time but not sure how this will be received - I wouldn't want for them to subconsciously discriminate because I took extra time to finish a task but equally want to make sure I perform to the best of my ability.

@Jessica Booker Do you know how AG deal with reasonable adjustments at AC's?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi everyone, does anyone have any experience of asking firms for reasonable adjustments at assessment centres? I have dyslexia and receive extra time in university exams. I have an AC with AG coming up and feel I would benefit from extra time but not sure how this will be received - I wouldn't want for them to subconsciously discriminate because I took extra time to finish a task but equally want to make sure I perform to the best of my ability.

Oh Yes, I asked the GR team of US firm extra time for the written exercise. I just sent them my assessment report and they easily accommodated my request.

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023

Firms have always been super accommodating with this for me - I’ve found I’ve always been at more of a disadvantage when I haven’t told them at the beginning of the process as opposed to when I have

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.