Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Two amazing news today! Got through to White & Case VI and received an invite to Macfarlanes' AC. This would be my 2nd AC this year. I'm so happy because I've never had more than one AC in a recruitment cycle before! :D
Massive thank you to Jaysen for reviewing my application.
You go!! Such a great firm and just have confidence! I believe @Daniel Boden had an AC with Macfarlanes last year and probably wrote a very good interview summary on it so definitely squeeze all the TCLA knowledge!!

• 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: ZH, Serah O and Daniel Boden

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Thank you!!! I am not sure when it is yet. I have to fill in work experience details first. Will let you know later once I have done all that stuff. I have so much nervous energy I feel like I need to go for a 10k run!!

Congrats! I just got offered a place on the spring scheme today. I genuinely enjoyed the AC, which is something I never thought I’d say, so hope it goes super well for you ☺️

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
A&O TC offer!!!!!!!! It has been my dream firm for so long, I am i

I am speaking purely on the perspective of myself being a non-law student.

I think even though they say that the AC's or case studies are suppose to accommodate non-law students, I think you are still suppose to know the basics of contract law and an M&A deal. Luckily I found this out after attending a few practise ACs and mock interviews before ACs and interviews. People may disagree with me but I really do believe this extra knowledge does highlight the strong candidates and shows to the firm you have done your reading and research. Some people may disagree with me but having that extra legal knowledge isn't too difficult and is key if you really want to start off strong on a vacation scheme, especially if you are sitting in a busy seat and people do not have the time to explain things to you or just assume you already know what they are talking about.

I know it's tough being a non-law student, it look me a good couple of weeks last summer to master the basics of contract law and the structure of a deal. I would highly recommend setting some time aside to get to grips with the basics. There are plenty of resources online. Getting to grips with these allowed me to go into my interviews with confidence and I was able to go above and beyond the case studies in more detail. I remember my interviewer at the end commenting on how impressed he was with my knowledge of contract law despite my non-law background.

Nearly all ACs and top firms will include some aspects of these within an AC. Even if they don't it's good to know these things and you will be able to impress associates/partners with your extra knowledge whether that be in an AC, interview or on the vacation scheme itself.

Good Luck :)
Wow! Two offers. That's impressive. Which are you going for? Out of interest where do you do practice ACs?

Reactions: S30

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
A&O TC offer!!!!!!!! It has been my dream firm for so long, I am i

I think even though they say that the AC's or case studies are suppose to accommodate non-law students, I think you are still suppose to know the basics of contract law and an M&A deal. Luckily I found this out after attending a few practise ACs and mock interviews before ACs and interviews. People may disagree with me but I really do believe this extra knowledge does highlight the strong candidates and shows to the firm you have done your reading and research. Having that extra legal knowledge isn't too difficult and is key if you really want to start off strong on a vacation scheme, especially if you are sitting in a busy seat and people do not have the time to explain things to you or just assume you already know what they are talking about.

I know it's tough being a non-law student, it look me a good couple of weeks last summer to master the basics of contract law and the structure of a deal. I would highly recommend setting some time aside to get to grips with the basics. There are plenty of resources online. Getting to grips with these allowed me to go into my interviews with confidence and I was able to go above and beyond the case studies in more detail. I remember my interviewer at the end commenting on how impressed he was with my knowledge of contract law despite my non-law background.

Nearly all ACs and top firms will include some aspects of these within an AC. Even if they don't it's good to know these things and you will be able to impress associates/partners with your extra knowledge whether that be in an AC, interview or on the vacation scheme itself.

Well done on your TC offer bet youre chuffed!!!

A4991

Star Member
Nov 20, 2019
Wow! Two offers. That's impressive. Which are you going for? Out of interest where do you do practice ACs?

I didn't mean to put that into that comment, I was suppose to post that earlier!

I think I am going to choose A&O, It has been my dream firm since forever! My university does Mock ACs and I was lucky enough to do one with HSF!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I didn't mean to put that into that comment, I was suppose to post that earlier!

I think I am going to choose A&O, It has been my dream firm since forever! My university does Mock ACs and I was lucky enough to do one with HSF!
Oh really - and the HSF one was in the firm? Sorry I am curious as I have never heard of this.

Reactions: JayB

Biena

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2019

I think even though they say that the AC's or case studies are suppose to accommodate non-law students, I think you are still suppose to know the basics of contract law and an M&A deal. Luckily I found this out after attending a few practise ACs and mock interviews before ACs and interviews. People may disagree with me but I really do believe this extra knowledge does highlight the strong candidates and shows to the firm you have done your reading and research. Having that extra legal knowledge isn't too difficult and is key if you really want to start off strong on a vacation scheme, especially if you are sitting in a busy seat and people do not have the time to explain things to you or just assume you already know what they are talking about.

I totally agree with all of this, except to say that it bothers me that a lot of firms say ‘no extra prep is required!’ A lot of us here know that isn’t necessarily true, but there may be people applying from socioeconomic backgrounds where they wouldn’t know not to take these things at face value, so I think it’s a real shame that firms don’t at least hint that a basic knowledge of M&A (for example) is required.

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Hey guys, any tips for Linklaters AC for summer vac scheme?
The HR interview is CV based plus standard competency based questions, but they will all be directly linked to their values. Definitely be prepared for there to be follow up questions on everything you say. Don’t try to memorise your answers, they are big on personality so you want to come across as genuine.

For the first bit of the case study make sure you don’t lose track of time. You only have half an hour to do the whole thing, so read it all carefully but do it quickly! The intray exercise took me less than 5 min, so don’t rush it!

For the second part of the case study and the partner interview really make sure you brush up on your technicals and I can’t stress enough how important commercial awareness is. They genuinely want you to do well and will try to help you find the right answer. Do not bring something up during your case study you are not comfortable talking about in the partner interview. There are lots of things to choose from, so go for the things you’re most familiar with.

Both my interviews also ran over. HR was 55 min instead of 45 and my partner interview was 90 min instead of 45.

honestly, the most important thing is to be authentic and don’t try to be who you think they would want you to be. Everyone was super friendly and it was my very first AC and I walked away thinking that I had genuinely enjoyed the day! The fact that you were invited means they think you could be the right person for them - good luck!

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: Carolinec12, m24, M0723 and 2 others

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019

Wait? Didn’t you say you secured a place on the A&O summer vacation scheme? How comes they allowed you to be interviewed earlier. That makes no sense lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.