Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Okay Jessica, I am now having a moderate to large freak out about them asking me this- if NoJay is correct. Panic mode has set in. How does one respond, and what if my reasoning is not adequate?!

Wait a minute!!!

You’ll be completely justified in whatever answer you give them.

Asking you whether you think you are too old to be a Trainee is NOT an acceptable question, so why do you think you’d need to give an acceptable answer.

EDITED FOR CLARITY:

Asking why you didn’t apply in second year is a different matter though. All they are trying to work out is where your career motivation came from and when it started (eg how long ago, not at what age). If you didn’t realise you wanted to be a commercial lawyer until six months ago - THAT IS FINE! You just need to justify why you think you are confident with that decision.

Someone else who has probably insinuated that they have known they wanted to be a lawyer since they were in nappies, will probably be asked other challenging questions like “so have you never considered another career?” Or “how can you be so confident law is the best route for you if you haven’t explored other careers?”

Last edited:

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I await this question to be asked, I am 23 but also did not apply in 2nd year. I have my reasoning though!

Haha I shall report back.

Okay Jessica, I am now having a moderate to large freak out about them asking me this- if NoJay is correct. Panic mode has set in. How does one respond, and what if my reasoning is not adequate?!

Umm, you are 23!! I am 31 and if someone asked me that I would just laugh. How is that a serious question? If they are being serious they are actually delusional. It is your life and your timeline to do what you please.

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Yeah it was Jones Day to 100% confirm. Terrible firm... lol

I really admire Jones Day, I don' think that a question about age is appropriate but i don't think this deems them terrible on the whole!

Umm, you are 23!! I am 31 and if someone asked me that I would just laugh. How is that a serious question? If they are being serious they are actually delusional. It is your life and your timeline to do what you please.

Haha Camilla! You would think more life experience would be a sought after trait also. I can't imagine myself laughing at a couple of partners asking this question seriously but I would like to think I would query it. And then also ask how they knew my age lol

Wait a minute!!!

You’ll be completely justified in whatever answer you give them.

Asking you whether you think you are too old to be a Trainee is NOT an acceptable question, so why do you think you’d need to give an acceptable answer.

EDITED FOR CLARITY:

Asking why you didn’t apply in second year is a different matter though. All they are trying to work out is where your career motivation came from and when it started (eg how long ago, not at what age). If you didn’t realise you wanted to be a commercial lawyer until six months ago - THAT IS FINE! You just need to justify why you think you are confident with that decision.

Someone else who has probably insinuated that they have known they wanted to be a lawyer since they were in nappies, will probably be asked other challenging questions like “so have you never considered another career?” Or “how can you be so confident law is the best route for you if you haven’t explored other careers?”

Thanks so much for replying, I hope this question does not come up - agree it is not acceptable. I really hope the person above was not rejected on their answer to the question about their age. Discrimination of any form is not and should not be allowed!

I guess this topic of conversation gives me another point to prepare for the interview. Maybe I could weave my reasoning into the question of why I did not apply in 2nd year into the answer of why law!

Thanks so much for your response! You are truly the voice of reason!

EvaK

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 19, 2019
    Exactly! Also, I genuinely don't understand why hiring someone very young would be considered advantageous in the first place, or why applying for TCs in your second year of uni (when you may still be a teenager(!)) would be interpreted as stronger evidence of your commitment to a career in law than applying in your mid-twenties or later.

• 🤝
    Reactions: ZH, Serah O, D95 and 3 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I really admire Jones Day, I don' think that a question about age is appropriate but i don't think this deems them terrible on the whole!

Haha Camilla! You would think more life experience would be a sought after trait also. I can't imagine myself laughing at a couple of partners asking this question seriously but I would like to think I would query it. And then also ask how they knew my age lol

Thanks so much for replying, I hope this question does not come up - agree it is not acceptable. I really hope the person above was not rejected on their answer to the question about their age. Discrimination of any form is not and should not be allowed!

I guess this topic of conversation gives me another point to prepare for the interview. Maybe I could weave my reasoning into the question of why I did not apply in 2nd year into the answer of why law!

Thanks so much for your response! You are truly the voice of reason!

I’d try not to let this weigh on your mind or over think your answer. If you are asked explicitly whether they, the firm or you think you are too old, don’t try to weave in anything. Turn it around on them and say “Can I ask why you are asking me this question”

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Exactly! Also, I genuinely don't understand why hiring someone very young would be considered advantageous in the first place, or why applying for TCs in your second year of uni (when you may still be a teenager(!)) would be interpreted as stronger evidence of your commitment to a career in law than applying in your mid-twenties or later.

the latter question isn’t necessarily about being a stronger candidate because you applied in second year - it’s more to see your reason around when you choose to apply (or not apply).

Jay-Lo

Distinguished Member
    Jan 21, 2019
    I never said it’s a “terrible” firm as a whole, just their approach to interviewing is “terrible”. As this isn’t the first time I’ve heard Jones Day ask this question, my friend also received this question and is just a fresh graduate so that makes no sense. @Sha'i

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    I never said it’s a “terrible” firm as a whole, just their approach to interviewing is “terrible”. As this isn’t the first time I’ve heard Jones Day ask this question, my friend also received this question and is just a fresh graduate so that makes no sense. @Sha'i
    it's very strange because during my time at JD on winter vac, the GR openly said to all of the younger candidates ' we prefer more mature students/candidates' so hardly ever give a TC to anyone below third year..

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    it's very strange because during my time at JD on winter vac, the GR openly said to all of the younger candidates ' we prefer more mature students/candidates' so hardly ever give a TC to anyone below third year..

Haha, I think you should say that you do not identify with a particular age. I wonder if there is a word for that

• Haha
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020
    I have a TC offer from a firm that isn’t really my first choice and a vac scheme with my first choice firm. I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation? Would you turn down the TC and hope that the vac scheme turns into a TC or contact grad recruitment and say that you’ve been offered a TC and ask if they’d consider you for a TC instead?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a TC offer from a firm that isn’t really my first choice and a vac scheme with my first choice firm. I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation? Would you turn down the TC and hope that the vac scheme turns into a TC or contact grad recruitment and say that you’ve been offered a TC and ask if they’d consider you for a TC instead?

Unless you are getting some kind of financial incentive for the first firm or there is something in either the contract/offer letter in either the TC or SVS offer that says you can have other employment, you could just hold on to your current offer and then renege if you got your first choice

Reactions: Daniel Boden

EvaK

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 19, 2019
    the latter question isn’t necessarily about being a stronger candidate because you applied in second year - it’s more to see your reason around when you choose to apply (or not apply).
    So could this be a totally innocent question with no "preferred" answer? I did the GDL and it would have never occurred to me to apply for TCs in my second year (law simply wasn't on my radar) but even my friends who did LLBs and applied in their second year did so primarily for visa reasons or because it was the expected and accepted route to take, and perhaps because waiting until 3rd year or later could be seen as dawdling or being unsure about what to do with your life (whereas I've always seen it as the exact opposite, i.e. not rushing into anything but figuring out what you really want to do and gain experience in the meantime)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.