Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Hey guys, I'm in a really sticky situation right now...
I know this might sound ungrateful to some but I'm thinking of not attending an interview at Macfarlanes which I have been offered. I'm going through a lot of stress right now and suffer from anxiety. I have already secured a vac scheme with DLA Piper and have been rejected from Freshfields. I prepared a lot for the Freshfields AC and I still did not get it and so I really don't want to think about preparing for the Macfarlanes one to that extent since I just cannot 'wing' it. The thought of going through this again is actually making me very stressed right now. I honestly am happy with having one vac scheme this year. I know Macfarlanes have a small intake and given the type of interview is about thinking on your feet (something I am not good at), I doubt I would get it anyway.
I don't know, I feel like my mind is kind of made up but I just wanted to share to know what some of you think about this... any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Perhaps instead of focusing on the outcome of the AC, you could view it as an opportunity to improve the 'thinking on your feet' aspect that you don't feel as confident with, particularly as you are content with having DLA. I have done the AC and feel it was quite nice, in that everyone is incredibly friendly and they don't try to trip you up or grill you at any stage. Before each task, grad rec even go through which skills they are evaluating. You did incredibly well getting through to all those ACs, they clearly see potential in you.

On the other hand, only you know your mind and what's best for you. If you really don't feel up to it, there's no need to push it; mental health should take priority.

Law

Feb 14, 2020
I'd gone the entire week hearing nothing only for it to end on a Friday 5pm rejection email from Ropes & Gray post-application. Meanwhile still waiting on Linklaters, Debevoise, CMS, Freshfields, Sidley, HL, Akin Gump, Dechert, Mayer Brown, Milbank.

Sorry to hear that! If it helps, I had gone almost a month since 4 of my ACs/Interviews and today I got 4/4 rejections within 45 minutes of each other.

One of the firms rejected me TWICE just to really let me know that I was rejected incase I missed their previous email, a whole 5 seconds before :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just received a Vacation Scheme offer from Skadden!

Last year I was rejected from all 60 of my applications. This year I began to give up hope once I received 15 more rejections I had spent an excessively long time preparing, including 3 post interview. Aside from my commercial law applications I applied to dozens of at high street firms and charities to gain some legal experience, but to no avail. .

I am so grateful to those on this website and @Jaysen for assisting me in the whole process, as I know I would have not been able to make it this far without the guidance provided. It feels like I am on the start of a journey, which I will try my best to hopefully end up in a TC!

I wish the best of luck to everyone in their applications!
    Amazing news, well done!

• 🤝
    Reactions: PEN1

CalibreX1

Star Member
    Jan 29, 2020
    Just need to get this out there - I received a rejection from NRF for their Summer VS which was my last hope this cycle. I don't want to dump my sadness into the thread with the amount of positive news people got today, but I feel that I am left with an empty tank and a bit unsure where to go after this. I am sure I will be fine eventually but just feeling really down that I haven't managed to see any real progress with my applications or success in the process for 3 years. I genuinely feel like I can't take many more of these setbacks so I am just gonna have to go over my options this weekend. I really didn't expect this cycle to end for me so abruptly but I appreciate the continued support in this amazing forum. I just hope maybe one day I can also share some good news as I have been working at this for a long time now. Of course, I never expected to grasp it instantly but as life goes on, it is hard to not to doubt my ability or motivation for the career I had set my sights on. I am really glad that so many of you have achieved great things this cycle and to those of you still waiting or in a similar situation I will say this - whatever stage you have achieved up to, you didn't get this far to only go this far! So I am sure it is only a matter of when rather than if! If anyone has any advice or can help me weigh up my options over this weekend or whoever you have any spare time I would be forever grateful.
    So sorry about this! I know it hurts now but please don’t give up! This is also my third cycle and I’m yet to receive a vac scheme offer. I know someone who did 6 cycles of applications before securing a training contract.

If you really want it, I promise that you WILL get there! Keep going. You’re one ‘no’ closer to a yes!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just need to get this out there - I received a rejection from NRF for their Summer VS which was my last hope this cycle. I don't want to dump my sadness into the thread with the amount of positive news people got today, but I feel that I am left with an empty tank and a bit unsure where to go after this. I am sure I will be fine eventually but just feeling really down that I haven't managed to see any real progress with my applications or success in the process for 3 years. I genuinely feel like I can't take many more of these setbacks so I am just gonna have to go over my options this weekend. I really didn't expect this cycle to end for me so abruptly but I appreciate the continued support in this amazing forum. I just hope maybe one day I can also share some good news as I have been working at this for a long time now. Of course, I never expected to grasp it instantly but as life goes on, it is hard to not to doubt my ability or motivation for the career I had set my sights on. I am really glad that so many of you have achieved great things this cycle and to those of you still waiting or in a similar situation I will say this - whatever stage you have achieved up to, you didn't get this far to only go this far! So I am sure it is only a matter of when rather than if! If anyone has any advice or can help me weigh up my options over this weekend or whoever you have any spare time I would be forever grateful.

You definitely shouldn’t feel bad for not being able to post good news. It’s amazing seeing all the successful candidates in this thread but it’s also worth noting that there are so many more who are having a tough time. I say this a lot but this process is really really hard and can take a toll on your self confidence, especially when it seems like everyone else is getting offers. You should be proud for making it this far.

Happy to take a look at a recent application/your profile if it would help - feel free to PM me.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I don’t post on here often but I cannot believe I have just got my first vacation scheme offer! I cannot believe it and I cannot breathe! ☺️

I cannot thank you all enough for all your help and input on this forum! Thank you Jaysen for creating such an amazing platform with so many amazing resources!

I am not going to put the firm as I know there maybe many waiting to hear back and might feel more worried. Good luck everyone!
    Fantastic news, well done!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Chido

Dos

Star Member
    Aug 2, 2019
    I got a WG invite for Norton Rose (Summer Vac)

They only gave me 2 days to complete it

People said on this thread they were rejected because NRF filled their places for summer vac, although, I wonder, if the WG is automated? Confused because of what others have said.

EDIT: Just read the email again, it said I passed initial screening!

Aurochschiette

Star Member
    Feb 2, 2020
    I got a WG invite for Norton Rose (Summer Vac)

They only gave me 2 days to complete it

People said on this thread they were rejected because NRF filled their places for summer vac, although, I wonder, if the WG is automated? Confused because of what others have said.

EDIT: Just read the email again, it said I passed initial screening!

It's not automatic, so congrats!

The turnaround time for the WG is normal. Similar turnaround times for phone interview invites and ACs as well. It all moves quickly, so best of luck!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Aurochschiette

Star Member
    Feb 2, 2020
    Thanks!

I've had other firms offer me WG and for 5-7 days so this really struck me

Yea, that's the standard one and it's often true for firms that send an automatic WG. Since NRF review apps before the WG invite, it's a quicker turnaround. Plus, you have the added confidence from knowing your application was already assessed and progressed. At this point, the ball is in your court. Go get that vac scheme!

Reactions: Dos
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.