Thank youI think as a general rule just refer to how the firm refers to themselves in the application form? Simpson Thacher is fine based on that
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Thank youI think as a general rule just refer to how the firm refers to themselves in the application form? Simpson Thacher is fine based on that
Hi!How essential is having a link with the firm for getting to AC stage? I got 3 ACs last cycle and I had virtually met each firm so I was just wondering if I needed to replicate this for more firms this cycle to have a better chance at progressing.
Hi!Hi @Abbie Whitlock, I trust you are well.
I am trying to answer Simpson Thacher second question " How have your extracurricular activities contributed to your development of skills relevant to a career in corporate law?"
Do you think we need to connect it to simpson's expertise, strategy or culture? Would you say something like, having played footballl etc..developed x skills which will allow me on deals such as..,
Hi!for people who applied to macs, just weary there is no written app so in the work exp section would you make a direct link to the firm being or no coz it feels a bit forced?
How do you pick whether to apply to winter/spring/summer VSs when firms normally only allow one application per cycle and so many of the firms have their winter and spring schemes at the same time? I am a final year student so would really like to get a TC before I leave uni, so would prefer winter/spring, but it seems that pretty much every firm has their spring schemes take place wholly or partly in the 5-16th April period, and the winter schemes are pretty much all overlapping with the last week of my uni's term (30th Nov).
I feel like the best chance of getting a TC would involve spreading out my applications to both spring and summer to maximise the number of consideration opportunities (i.e. I'd have a chance over spring, and if I don't get one, I'd get another chance (or two...) at a TC in the summer after I finish uni, but there's also obviously always the possibility that I am unsuccessful at all of my summer applications and get multiple offers for vac schemes at the same time... maybe I'm overthinking but it just seems so hard to pick whether/how to spread out applications for schemes over the three sessions since we don't know how it will go in advance!
Hi!Does anyone have a definitive list of firms that are strict on grades/don't review applications holistically? I have a 2.1 from a top uni but several 2.2 modules in 1st and 2nd year.
Thank you!Hi!
I'm not sure about whether we have a definitive list, but there is this thread where individuals have shared information on firms with stricter grade requirements!
Thank you @Abbie Whitlock, you are a gem!Hi!
I don't think you necessarily need to connect your extracurricular activities directly to Simpson Thacher's expertise, strategy or culture. I would focus primarily on what skills the activity helped you develop and why those skills are relevant to a career in corporate law.
For example, if you played football, you could discuss how this developed your teamwork, communication, and ability to perform under pressure, and then explain how those skills would be useful when working collaboratively with colleagues and other parties on a transaction.
I would be slightly cautious about forcing a link to a specific type of Simpson deal (e.g. "this skill will allow me to work on X deal") unless there is a really natural connection. The key thing is to show that you understand why the skill matters in corporate law, rather than trying to make every extracurricular activity demonstrate why you want to work at Simpson specifically.
You could implicitly relate your answer to Simpson Thacher by finding the skills and traits they highlight on their website, and using examples that show those traits. However, I would keep this question focused on the development of relevant skills, rather than trying to force it to be a motivational answer![]()
I am also a paralegal but in house, I’ve taken holiday to do vac schemes… it’s not convenient and it’s definitely a big sacrifice, but you gotta do what you gotta do!Hi everyone, I'm fortunate to have been offered a paralegal position at a global law firm (think CMS, Dentons, DLA Piper), my concern is whether I would be able to attend vacation schemes should I be lucky to get one or more.
If i was to take annual leave, am I limited to just one vacation scheme?
Is a direct TC the better option? I fear there are less spaces for direct TC's so this will be a more disadvantageous route to take.
Would appreciate any advice, thanks!
Hi,I am also a paralegal but in house, I’ve taken holiday to do vac schemes… it’s not convenient and it’s definitely a big sacrifice, but you gotta do what you gotta do!
My workplace has also allowed me to take unpaid leave to attend one. I also think let your manager know your plans, they may be more flexible than you think
I am also in this position and I am quite lost! My plan atm is just saving up my holiday leave for vacs but ofc that's a big sacrifice, so I am planning to apply to some TCs where I can/feel more confident!Hi everyone, I'm fortunate to have been offered a paralegal position at a global law firm (think CMS, Dentons, DLA Piper), my concern is whether I would be able to attend vacation schemes should I be lucky to get one or more.
If i was to take annual leave, am I limited to just one vacation scheme?
Is a direct TC the better option? I fear there are less spaces for direct TC's so this will be a more disadvantageous route to take.
Would appreciate any advice, thanks!