General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

CF

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Does anyone know if you can apply for more than one thing per year at White & Case? I'm unsure if I should apply for their winter, spring or summer vac scheme. Also, does anyone know if the applications are reviewed on a rolling basis?

In terms of applications, you can, for example, apply to an open day and then a vacation scheme. I do not think you can apply to more than one vacation scheme per cycle.

Reactions: em311 and lawlad
D

Deleted member 4851

Does anyone know if you can apply for more than one thing per year at White & Case? I'm unsure if I should apply for their winter, spring or summer vac scheme. Also, does anyone know if the applications are reviewed on a rolling basis?
Yes, you can apply for more than one opportunity per year ( unless you have attended an assessment day and you were unsuccessful - if you have attended an assessment day, then you have to wait an year). I asked them literally 2 days ago during a law fair. And the applications for vacation schemes are rolling (but someone mentioned here that he spoke with them and they said that they are focusing now on direct TC contracts).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What about the part that's just asking if we have foreign language skills - should I leave that blank as well if I don't intend to fill out the question on how I keep up to date with them?

If there is a separate question asking you about your language skills, you put any in that you deem yourself still to have. Claim them as if you would be tested on them.

If you are not doing anything to keep your language skills up to date, then you just leave this question blank

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
If there is a separate question asking you about your language skills, you put any in that you deem yourself still to have. Claim them as if you would be tested on them.

If you are not doing anything to keep your language skills up to date, then you just leave this question blank
Yeah that makes sense, that's my go-to approach for most other firms, but I haven't come across a firm that specifically asks what we do to keep up with our knowledge of the language. Do you reckon it would look bad if I listed 1-2 intermediate-level language skills, but then left the other question on how I keep up to date with them blank?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah that makes sense, that's my go-to approach for most other firms, but I haven't come across a firm that specifically asks what we do to keep up with our knowledge of the language. Do you reckon it would look bad if I listed 1-2 intermediate-level language skills, but then left the other question on how I keep up to date with them blank?

no

Evelina

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Need some advice about applications. I have made a few winter vac scheme apps but if i were to get more than one offer they overlap so I could only accept one. Although unlikely, if this happens, do you think I could then defer one to another scheme e.g spring / summer?
i know some people who were able to defer offers but you will have to talk to the specific firm. im sure some will probably say its now or never.

JohanGRK

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I must admit that I enjoyed the direction this thread took. Not many threads like it on TCLA!

Going back to the core issue, I think that it's well worth hitting up the law firm if you're getting rejected so soon and without a clear reason as to why this may possibly be the case (e.g. them filling up ACs, not meeting minimum criteria, typos or blank answers, 2.2s, etc). I've personally seen grad rec and the systems they use mess up too many times for me to put any faith in these sort of decisions.

I had been rejected from HSF on the basis of not doing their online assessment when it turned out that I had done it and they simply hadn't received the results. Linklaters cut me off and then decided to pass me for their WG. A bunch of firms have failed to send me links to tests or VIs in time for me to complete them. I've also had problems with my foreign qualifications despite the British Council issuing an equivalence notice about them. One SC firm auto-rejected me because they thought that my UCAS tarif of 200-something under the new system failed to meet their minimum requirement of 340 under the old one.

Lest you think I'm venting, the point is that the process is set up and maintained by humans, and that mistakes can occur. If I faced the circumstances faced by the users who got rejected by NRF and had nothing to lose (e.g. because I wasn't planning on reapplying there), I'd be hitting up grad rec asap. Obviously, there's no point in asking for an explanation for a 'regular' rejection that comes after a few weeks when your application has actually been read.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There’s not many threads like it, because it’s not TSR. Thankfully.

Hundreds of thousands of applications are rejected with no clear reason each year. Human error happens on both the candidate and recruiter side, and in most cases it is candidate error unfortunately (even many of the above examples).

Just because you got rejected earlier than someone else actually means very little from my experience. Obviously people are welcome to ask/check though.

Last edited:

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020

Hundreds of thousands of applications are rejected with no clear reason each year. Human error happens on both the candidate and recruiter side, and in most cases it is candidate error unfortunately (even many of the above examples).

Just because you got rejected earlier than someone else actually means very little from my experience. Obviously people are welcome to ask/check though.

Its quite telling that you feel the need to really dig in that candidates are the ones making the mistakes rather than grad rec. I understand that you have probably seen many applications with errors and gotten emails asking about rejections that likely annoyed you, but this response almost reads as derision to candidates who struggle through a largely opaque process and have faced issues that weren't of their own making.

The only reason this forum needs to exists is because of the limited transparency in legal recruiting, and while I am grateful that you are willing to offer advice and answer questions, I don't see how that means that graduate recruitment should be insulated from even an implication that they are fallible.

JohanGRK

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020

I agree with the second and third paras, but they didn't correspond to my experience (I can't speak to Rhiannon or whisperingrock!). My point was that the firms in my examples were clearly the ones that had messed up and admitted to doing so. If it has happened to me as often as it has, there's good reason to think that there is at least a possibility that an error on grad rec's side has occurred. It may turn out not to be so, but I would still follow up either way.

From what I can tell from the posts, the rejections were within 24h of the app being sent, so this isn't one of those cases where people try to microanalyse the timing of a rejection several weeks in. I hate the latter. It's why I never bothered going on the VS/TC threads on TSR when I was applying.

Reactions: whisperingrock
    D

Deleted member 4851

Hi all, I am applying for winter vac schemes but I am still no sure how it will work out in case I hopefully get one as I am working afternoons and evenings as well. Can anyone, who has had a virtual vac scheme, share some details about their programme in terms of hours? Did you normally worked 9-5 for example or were your days pretty much packed with something happening 9-9? Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I agree with the second and third paras, but they didn't correspond to my experience (I can't speak to Rhiannon or whisperingrock!). My point was that the firms in my examples were clearly the ones that had messed up and admitted to doing so. If it has happened to me as often as it has, there's good reason to think that there is at least a possibility that an error on grad rec's side has occurred. It may turn out not to be so, but I would still follow up either way.

From what I can tell from the posts, the rejections were within 24h of the app being sent, so this isn't one of those cases where people try to microanalyse the timing of a rejection several weeks in. I hate the latter. It's why I never bothered going on the VS/TC threads on TSR when I was applying.

Some of your experiences may not have been the firm’s error. The change is benchmark is actually more common than you think, the lack of links could have been down to your email provider rather than a lack of correspondence from the firm. The only one that clearly is an error in the firm’s part is the move to the old/new UCAS tariff.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Its quite telling that you feel the need to really dig in that candidates are the ones making the mistakes rather than grad rec. I understand that you have probably seen many applications with errors and gotten emails asking about rejections that likely annoyed you, but this response almost reads as derision to candidates who struggle through a largely opaque process and have faced issues that weren't of their own making.

The only reason this forum needs to exists is because of the limited transparency in legal recruiting, and while I am grateful that you are willing to offer advice and answer questions, I don't see how that means that graduate recruitment should be insulated from even an implication that they are fallible.

I am not sure how you have come to the conclusion. Obviously graduate recruitment are fallible - plenty of my previous posts have highlighted this.

I can only go by my experience and explain that in more cases than not, there was no error, just a decision had been made on an application.

Queries never annoyed me though - it was always part of the job. In fact, I used to ensure it was something where more effort and timely responses were considered from a KPI perspective.

I did used to get annoyed by rudeness though, and clearly still do.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, I am applying for winter vac schemes but I am still no sure how it will work out in case I hopefully get one as I am working afternoons and evenings as well. Can anyone, who has had a virtual vac scheme, share some details about their programme in terms of hours? Did you normally worked 9-5 for example or were your days pretty much packed with something happening 9-9? Thank you :)

Can you not take time off work/annual leave? Or could you swap your shifts to the following week?

I wouldn’t recommend working the week of a vacation scheme, even if it is virtual. Zoom fatigue + a strong learning curve will mean its particularly tricky week. I would expect you to have work/training sessions/seminars between 9.30-5.30 and you may also find you are picking up work during the day that needs to be completed (or you want to complete of your own accord) outside of office hours.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I am not sure how you have come to the conclusion. Obviously graduate recruitment are fallible - plenty of my previous posts have highlighted this.

I can only go by my experience and explain that in more cases than not, there was no error, just a decision had been made on an application.

Queries never annoyed me though - it was always part of the job. In fact, I used to ensure it was something where more effort and timely responses were considered from a KPI perspective.

I did used to get annoyed by rudeness though, and clearly still do.

Less than 10 minutes ago you decided to correct someone who said that the firms admitted to the issues being their error, not the candidates. You took the time to explain that no, their lived experience is actually wrong and it wasn't down to the firm. Either you think that Johan is lying or the firm was lying to them. Every comment where you acknowledge grad rec can make mistakes is caveated in some way.

You may be annoyed by rudeness but I am annoyed by discrimination by grad rec (which the firm admitted to), failures to email me assessments and information (which grad rec admitted to), systems which don't respond and crash, and waiting over 4 months for even a rejection email in some cases. And I'm even more annoyed that stating anything negative and pointing out that you ignored someone who had asked if they should bother following up when it turned out you were wrong about them not qualifying for the scheme, is somehow an indictment against my character.

D

Deleted member 4851

Can you not take time off work/annual leave? Or could you swap your shifts to the following week?

I wouldn’t recommend working the week of a vacation scheme, even if it is virtual. Zoom fatigue + a strong learning curve will mean its particularly tricky week. I would expect you to have work/training sessions/seminars between 9.30-5.30 and you may also find you are picking up work during the day that needs to be completed (or you want to complete of your own accord) outside of office hours.
    Thank you for your response!

I am working in hospitality and I will not be allowed to take time off in December (well
    unless there is a second lockdown in my area). Hopefully if I manage to secure a vac scheme, I can still do evening and weekend shifts or in worse case scenario I will have to leave the job.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Less than 10 minutes ago you decided to correct someone who said that the firms admitted to the issues being their error, not the candidates. You took the time to explain that no, their lived experience is actually wrong and it wasn't down to the firm. Either you think that Johan is lying or the firm was lying to them. Every comment where you acknowledge grad rec can make mistakes is caveated in some way.

You may be annoyed by rudeness but I am annoyed by discrimination by grad rec (which the firm admitted to), failures to email me assessments and information (which grad rec admitted to), systems which don't respond and crash, and waiting over 4 months for even a rejection email in some cases. And I'm even more annoyed that stating anything negative and pointing out that you ignored someone who had asked if they should bother following up when it turned out you were wrong about them not qualifying for the scheme, is somehow an indictment against my character.

You are reading what you want to into my posts. All I did was explain how a candidate’s perception of something might not actually be the reality. There’s a lot of reason to why things happen as they do. As you have suggested, a candidate just can’t see them directly and clearly.

I didn’t mean to ignore the post (although I don’t think you can claim not responding between 9pm on a Friday night and 11.00am on a Saturday as “ignoring”). I get huge amounts of notifications on this platform daily. I am the most active person on this forum by some considerable amount. Tracking who I have and haven’t responded to isn’t an easy task. And it was the weekend!

So I am fallible - I am allowed to miss posts and take time off from this forum. Your criticism of me for doing so, makes this conversation even more ironic.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.