General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2134

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Nothing yet, but I was on the 59 percentile (average) of the HL WG so not expecting much tbh.
I was also in the 59th percentile in the WG, digger started going off outside my window as soon as I pressed start! (still not that good at them though) Do you know if you can still proceed with a mark like that if they like your application?

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi @Alice G, or anyone else that knows, does Freshfields consider open days as work experience? I know that some firms encourage you to put your open days in the work experience section and others don't, I am not sure which category Freshfields falls into.

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
Hi @Alice G, or anyone else that knows, does Freshfields consider open days as work experience? I know that some firms encourage you to put your open days in the work experience section and others don't, I am not sure which category Freshfields falls into.
If you have more impressive work experience then that should be a priority. However, if you have open days it’s important to put that in but perhaps avoid US firms or firms that are drastically different because it makes your approach look quite scattergun.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
If you have more impressive work experience then that should be a priority. However, if you have open days it’s important to put that in but perhaps avoid US firms or firms that are drastically different because it makes your approach look quite scattergun.

Thank you, I have a vacation scheme at a US firm so maybe adding an open day from another US firm will do more harm than good.

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Thank you, but can't I mention them all? There isn't a limit on how many experiences I can include, I have 6 entries including the open day.
    What I did in my applications was putting all of the open days into one entry - you can do this provided that you have more experiences (part-time/full-time jobs, internships etc.). I think there is usually not that much to say about each open day anyway, so I would just do the one entry, list the open days, and say that it shows you took the time to research what career in law is about and it helped you make the decision to pursue (commercial) law in (international/city/regional) law firm.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    What I did in my applications was putting all of the open days into one entry - you can do this provided that you have more experiences (part-time/full-time jobs, internships etc.). I think there is usually not that much to say about each open day anyway, so I would just do the one entry, list the open days, and say that it shows you took the time to research what career in law is about and it helped you make the decision to pursue (commercial) law in (international/city/regional) law firm.
    You can if you have enough space. It’s just what I would prioritise if you haven’t

Thank you both!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.