Allen & Overy SJT

NadineBusty

Valued Member
Aug 21, 2019
Same here, although I remember in another forum someone said they were progressed on to the next stage via email even though they saw a rejection in the application portal first? Not sure if that was a glitch but because of that I'm keeping optimistic until they email me haha
@Jessica Booker - have you heard of this being a recurring theme at A&O for the current application cycle?

I think in my case their was a delay in sending the test link for the SJT and my app was first rejected because I did not complete the SJT within the deadline (but which I have never received). After I have received and passed the SJT my app changed to under review.

I suggest you wait a few days and see if you receive a rejection email.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJP

JJP

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
I think in my case their was a delay in sending the test link for the SJT and my app was first rejected because I did not complete the SJT within the deadline (but which I have never received). After I have received and passt the SJT my app changed to under review.

I suggest you wait a few days and see if you receive a rejection email.

Thank you for this. I have completed the test >48 hours after receiving the original link due to technical issues on their end. I'll wait until final confirmation but this is tremendously reassuring that there is still a hope!

JanetMonkey

Oct 12, 2020
Has anyone received updates from A&O yet or are your applications still under review? Is this normal for firms that are recruiting on a rolling basis - didn't A&O open applications all the way back in September?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone received updates from A&O yet or are your applications still under review? Is this normal for firms that are recruiting on a rolling basis - didn't A&O open applications all the way back in September?

the middle of October is still very early in the application cycle... I know it seems likes months to you, but to the firm it feels like days since they opened applications.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Spent ages on my A&O application making sure every question was perfect - spent ages on the SJT, too, and managed to fail it. I hate this so, so much.

Not asking a question, just wanted to vent. this was the best app i'd ever submitted over three cycles. To get rejected because the 20 min SJT feels like a punch in the gut

It's incredibly frustrating to spend so much time on an application only to be rejected by an SJT. I hope you hang in there.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Spent ages on my A&O application making sure every question was perfect - spent ages on the SJT, too, and managed to fail it. I hate this so, so much.

Not asking a question, just wanted to vent. this was the best app i'd ever submitted over three cycles. To get rejected because the 20 min SJT feels like a punch in the gut

you can use the same app in the next cycle!

Oli H

Dec 5, 2019
    Last year I managed to reach the interview stage for the A&O Summer Vac scheme. I was unfortunately unsuccessful but received really positive feedback from my interviews and was strongly encouraged to apply with a virtually unchanged application and to plug one gap in my interview responses. I've just submitted my application for this year but did not pass the SJT unfortunately. Is there any point emailing grad rec about my situation? Seems really odd to have passed the test last year and nearly been successful in the whole process and this year despite having more experience/a stronger application I'm not even going to reach the application review stage :(

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Last year I managed to reach the interview stage for the A&O Summer Vac scheme. I was unfortunately unsuccessful but received really positive feedback from my interviews and was strongly encouraged to apply with a virtually unchanged application and to plug one gap in my interview responses. I've just submitted my application for this year but did not pass the SJT unfortunately. Is there any point emailing grad rec about my situation? Seems really odd to have passed the test last year and nearly been successful in the whole process and this year despite having more experience/a stronger application I'm not even going to reach the application review stage :(

A similar thing happened to me. I passed the SJT one year and in another I didn't. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about this. When I emailed graduate recruitment I was told that I had to wait for the next recruitment cycle given that we are only allowed to submit one application.

Reactions: Oli H

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    @Jessica Booker I know I am late to the conversation, however, I completed the SJT for the Summer Vac Scheme last night. I have had no email about my results but when I went onto the application portal, there were two green ticks and it said my application was under review. Does that mean I passed? Or does it mean something else?

Thank you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I know I am late to the conversation, however, I completed the SJT for the Summer Vac Scheme last night. I have had no email about my results but when I went onto the application portal, there were two green ticks and it said my application was under review. Does that mean I passed? Or does it mean something else?

Thank you! :)

Have you taken the test with A&O before?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Nope, never have before! I assumed it was an issue on their end cause I took it on a Friday evening. Why?

Because we know people have been automatically moved in the past if they have passed the test before.

I would just wait for them to come back to you. It sounds like you have passed, and they will now review your application.

Reactions: Celestie

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Because we know people have been automatically moved in the past if they have passed the test before.

I would just wait for them to come back to you. It sounds like you have passed, and they will now review your application.

Ah right I see - it does say on the tracker that it is being reviewed and I am getting support from grad rec as I am a disabled applicant. Just a bit confused why I didn't get an automated response from the test already :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ah right I see - it does say on the tracker that it is being reviewed and I am getting support from grad rec as I am a disabled applicant. Just a bit confused why I didn't get an automated response from the test already :(

Wouldn’t worry about emails to be honest, especially if you can see details on a portal.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.