Allen & Overy SJT

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Rejected from A&O 2023 TC today :/

The email I received stated: Your application and responses to the SJT suggest that you may not be suited for a role as a trainee at Allen & Overy at this time.

Does this mean they also read my application? Is it worth even finding out an SJT score or something?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Rejected from A&O 2023 TC today :/

The email I received stated: Your application and responses to the SJT suggest that you may not be suited for a role as a trainee at Allen & Overy at this time.

Does this mean they also read my application? Is it worth even finding out an SJT score or something?

Thanks!

Yes, I would take that as it could either be your application or your SJT, or both.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    @Jessica Booker I know I am late to the conversation, however, I completed the SJT for the Summer Vac Scheme last night. I have had no email about my results but when I went onto the application portal, there were two green ticks and it said my application was under review. Does that mean I passed? Or does it mean something else?

Thank you! :)
    Really odd as I was rejected today because I apparently didn't pass the SJT although my tracker originally said I did? Very odd

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The tracker now says I am rejected - really confused why for 3 days it would say well done and now boom goobye. Should I email grad rec or?

It could just be human or computer error. There’s no harm in contacting them to ask. Is it clear you have been unsuccessful on the basis of the SJT? Could you have been rejected if you weren’t eligible for the programme you applied to?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    It could just be human or computer error. There’s no harm in contacting them to ask. Is it clear you have been unsuccessful on the basis of the SJT? Could you have been rejected if you weren’t eligible for the programme you applied to?

I got the same email as the person above: Your application and responses to the SJT suggest that you may not be suited for a role as a trainee at Allen & Overy at this time. It took 3 days for it to come through though - and no, I'm 100% eligible as I spoke to grad rec as I am a disabled applicant and they were supporting me through my application.

JustSky

Nov 7, 2020
    I got the same email as the person above: Your application and responses to the SJT suggest that you may not be suited for a role as a trainee at Allen & Overy at this time. It took 3 days for it to come through though - and no, I'm 100% eligible as I spoke to grad rec as I am a disabled applicant and they were supporting me through my application.
    That seems unfair... Sorry to hear that. May I ask how long after you did the SJT they came back? I haven't got an email saying whether I passed or not.. :/

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    That seems unfair... Sorry to hear that. May I ask how long after you did the SJT they came back? I haven't got an email saying whether I passed or not.. :/
    Took them 3 days which is really odd. Has kinda put me off the firm if they are going to string people along and grad rec are now conveniently taking a while to reply...

linksfuturetrainee

Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2019
    Because we know people have been automatically moved in the past if they have passed the test before.

I would just wait for them to come back to you. It sounds like you have passed, and they will now review your application.

Hi Jessica, I just wanted to check whether this applied to people who failed the test in the past? Does it mean if someone failed it last year they too will not receive a link?

D

Deleted member 8341

Could anyone copy and paste what the email that says you passed the SJT looks like, does it give an indication of score? Or does it literally just say you've passed? thank you :)

U98

Nov 15, 2019
    Could anyone copy and paste what the email that says you passed the SJT looks like, does it give an indication of score? Or does it literally just say you've passed? thank you :)

Hey! They don't give you a score, just an automatic email saying you've passed: "We are pleased to inform you that your responses suggest that you possess the qualities we look for at Allen & Overy. Therefore, you will be progressing to the next stage of the recruitment process, where your application will be reviewed." It then just lists four of the agilities. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Deleted member 8341

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.