General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicole88

Jun 25, 2020
Wanted to share that after completing a vacation scheme at Hogan Lovells last week, I have been offered a TC! Some of you may remember that I was initially offered a place on the summer scheme but was moved onto the Winter Scheme. After failing to convert the TC at another firm this summer, I really felt that it wouldn’t happen for me this year, particularly at my dream firm and really felt that my confidence was knocked going into the scheme.

TCLA has been so integral to my success and I couldn’t have got this far without the help of many wonderful people on here. If anyone needs anything please do get in contact with me and I will help in any way I can!

I hope that everyone has a lovely break over the Holiday period, and that you can take some well earned time off from applications.
Amazing news! Congratulations!

Reactions: bethbristol

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Wanted to share that after completing a vacation scheme at Hogan Lovells last week, I have been offered a TC! Some of you may remember that I was initially offered a place on the summer scheme but was moved onto the Winter Scheme. After failing to convert the TC at another firm this summer, I really felt that it wouldn’t happen for me this year, particularly at my dream firm and really felt that my confidence was knocked going into the scheme.

TCLA has been so integral to my success and I couldn’t have got this far without the help of many wonderful people on here. If anyone needs anything please do get in contact with me and I will help in any way I can!

I hope that everyone has a lovely break over the Holiday period, and that you can take some well earned time off from applications.

what a great Christmas present! Wishing you the best :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Huge congrats Beth! That's fantastic news - delighted for you :D

Reactions: bethbristol

Tess72

Standard Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 8, 2020
    Hey everyone, hope you're all well.

I was wondering if anyone could help me?
    I'm a non-law student, and I've really struggled this application season. I haven't made it to the interview stage on loads of applications, even though I thought I was a strong candidate. Because I didn't make it to the interview stage, I'm unable to ask for feedback.
    I have done lots of self-reflection, but because I don't really have an idea of a 'good' application, It's hard to know what to improve!
    I have no friends/family/mentors who are lawyers, and therefore have nobody who can really give me feedback on applications.
    I want to join TCLA but money!

Does anyone think they'd be able to offer 10 minutes to look over one application? or give me some advice about what a good application looks like? I'd really really massively appreciate it.

Thank you in advance :)

Also a non-law student! Feel free to PM

IceFloe

Star Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Regarding AG's application form, Is there a box to fill in mitigating circumstances outside the final application question of 'any additional information'? I haven't found anywhere else to put it, though I might be mistaken because quite I'm unfamiliar with their application page layout.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just a quick message to say Happy Holidays to everyone. I hope the festive break give you a much needed break from the craziness of not only application/interview season, but also some time with friends and family, even if it is virtually.

alicebloom

Dec 27, 2020
    Hi Jessica, I hope you had a lovely break and Christmas. I had a question about the application process as a whole. What is the likelihood of a vac scheme offer once you have secured the interview? (e.g. 30-50%?) I assume firms cut down most of their applications before the interview so i was wondering if you had any idea about the stats?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi Jessica, I hope you had a lovely break and Christmas. I had a question about the application process as a whole. What is the likelihood of a vac scheme offer once you have secured the interview? (e.g. 30-50%?) I assume firms cut down most of their applications before the interview so i was wondering if you had any idea about the stats?

I don't know if I am qualified to reply to this @Jessica Booker may be better?

I don't think its a matter of 'likelihood' after securing the interview. Its how you actually do and perform in it which matters to them. For example, a firm may have 1,000 applicants and 150 get to interview. There are 20 places on the scheme, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are more likely to get it just because you got an interview. It's based on your performance.

That's my interpretation because the application process is based on performance, rather than likelihoods.

Reactions: Tushar

alicebloom

Dec 27, 2020
    I don't know if I am qualified to reply to this @Jessica Booker may be better?

I don't think its a matter of 'likelihood' after securing the interview. Its how you actually do and perform in it which matters to them. For example, a firm may have 1,000 applicants and 150 get to interview. There are 20 places on the scheme, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are more likely to get it just because you got an interview. It's based on your performance.

That's my interpretation because the application process is based on performance, rather than likelihoods.
    Thanks for your reply! I understand completely everything you've mentioned, but I guess what I'm saying is I'm curious and I'd just be interested in knowing the stats.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The likelihood is ultimately down to how you perform in the interview. Your chances will be very different to the next candidate being interviewed.

But firms will typically interview somewhere between 2 and 4.5 candidates per vacancy, depending on their earlier recruitment processes and their acceptance rates (most firms will get some people declining their offer). The more stringent the recruitment process before final interview, the lower that ratio should be, particularly if there has been a previous telephone or video interview (pre-covid when last stages would have been a face to face interview)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: corplaw0702
    D

Deleted member 2707

Just a question on how to quantify achievements. I had a really successful online business (raked in profits within 3 months) but was forced to close down due to regulatory changes. I want to talk about this when discussing why commercial law but I'm struggling to convey the success of my business in a succinct manner. How should I go about quantifying this success without adding 2-3 lines to my answers?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Just a question on how to quantify achievements. I had a really successful online business (raked in profits within 3 months) but was forced to close down due to regulatory changes. I want to talk about this when discussing why commercial law but I'm struggling to convey the success of my business in a succinct manner. How should I go about quantifying this success without adding 2-3 lines to my answers?

I would try to explain why doing X, which led to Y profit, convinced you that you’d enjoy a career as a commercial lawyer.

That’s probably two sentences when you link it to commercial law but I would expect that length or longer given you’re using the example to show why commercial law.

Reactions: Deleted member 2707

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

First of all, I think it's amazing that you started your own successful business! In terms of how to quantify it, you could state the exact amount of profits you made, the percentage increase in customers from when you started, the number of hours you worked on your business each week which could all probably be said in one sentence. All that would really get across how significant it was! Otherwise agree completely with Lumree about tying it back to why commercial law.

PP27

Distinguished Member
    Oct 11, 2019
    Hello I have a question about getting a TCLA membership. I have an AC coming up in 2 weeks and was considering whether I should get the Bronze or Gold (for the extra case study material). Would I be able to get the Bronze membership and upgrade to Gold by paying the difference if I were to decide I wanted to extra material?

D

Deleted member 2707

I would try to explain why doing X, which led to Y profit, convinced you that you’d enjoy a career as a commercial lawyer.

That’s probably two sentences when you link it to commercial law but I would expect that length or longer given you’re using the example to show why commercial law.

Hello I have a question about getting a TCLA membership. I have an AC coming up in 2 weeks and was considering whether I should get the Bronze or Gold (for the extra case study material). Would I be able to get the Bronze membership and upgrade to Gold by paying the difference if I were to decide I wanted to extra material?

Thank you both! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Think you pretty much managed it with your part in brackets - saying how much profit you gained in three months would be sufficient in showing success.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Sure, we can do this. I'd just flag that it's a little messy due to limitations on our platform (we'll have to cancel your subscription and re-sign you up to Gold with a coupon).

Reactions: PP27

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

I would personally break this down into a simple STAR response: Situation, Task, Action, Response/ Result. I would then link that back to why it's relevant to a career in commercial law, specifically at that firm. E.g.:
    "In order to maintain an income stream while at University, I launched a successful online business. I researched my market to understand client needs, spearheaded my efforts in specific areas to ensure that my business was relevant to potential clients and subsequently launched. The business was extremely successful and highly profitable within three months of launch. [This is the STAR component]. Unfortunately, there was a regulatory change which meant I had to cease doing business. I feel that having a first-hand understanding of how law impacts on businesses would make me an ideal candidate for X firm because [list parallels between your skills/ experiences/ beliefs and the firm's aims etc]".

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.