Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

As some of you may remember, at TCLA we have a tradition of running a weekly giveaway of TCLA Premium subscriptions based on contributions to the forum.

As the new year approaches, we'd love to start this again! Therefore, every Monday (starting Monday the 4th of January), the forum team will be selecting one person to receive a free (bronze) subscription to TCLA Premium for a month.

This will be based on active and helpful contributions to the forum for that week, which could be anything from asking questions, sharing interesting articles, and offering advice to other members.

The winners will be posted in this thread. I will be announcing the first winner this Monday, so keep a look out!

Best,

Naomi

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi everyone!

As promised, every Monday from today the TCLA forum team will be selecting one person to receive a free (bronze) subscription to TCLA Premium for a month.

This week, I'd like to announce my chosen winner @Rhiannon!
I've been really impressed with your willingness to offer advice and support to other forum members whilst on your own journey. This is a perfect display of the community values we hope to always have here at TCLA.

I hope this giveaway helps you on the rest of your application journey.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all,

For this week's winner I've decided to pick @Andrew M

What I really like about your reading your posts is you're always very willing to offer any advice you do have in addition to sharing your own struggles with the application process. People like you continue to help create the open and friendly environment I think we all love about TCLA.

Really hope the free month helps you with all your apps and any interviews you may have coming up! :)

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Hi all,

For this week's winner I've decided to pick @Andrew M

What I really like about your reading your posts is you're always very willing to offer any advice you do have in addition to sharing your own struggles with the application process. People like you continue to help create the open and friendly environment I think we all love about TCLA.

Really hope the free month helps you with all your apps and any interviews you may have coming up! :)
    Oh, thank you very much! That's a lovely surprise. :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I had the pleasure of choosing this week's winner, and I'm delighted to award it to user @MZ for their fantastic post on the CMS Assessment Centre. You can read it here:
    Hey everyone! I've had a lot of messages asking about the CMS assessment centre over the past month so I figured I'd make a thread and put all the information in one place so everyone can have access to it since more AC invites seem to be going out at the moment. For reference, I had my AC in mid-December (I was fast-tracked after their First Steps programme) and got the vac scheme offer about a day later.

The assessment centre consisted of a case study, a partner interview, and a group exercise. Here's a run-through of how the day went and any tips I have on how to approach each exercise:

For the case study exercise, I had 45 minutes to prepare a presentation answering a question set out in the instructions. All the information you need is in the document they give you (you don't need any prior knowledge), so you just need to read/skim through it all carefully and make sure you pick up on all the key points (most of these will be quite obvious in the document so don't worry too much about missing anything major). My advice is just to make sure you leave enough time to structure your presentation in a clear and concise manner so you can be sure that you're answering all parts of the question (and so you don't end up rambling or jumping from one point to another during your presentation). One way you could do this is to have a cutoff point for yourself to finish reading so you don't run out of time trying to analyse every single sentence (which is probably what I would have done).

After the case study, I had a partner interview where I presented my case study findings in the first 10 minutes, then the partner asked me some questions about my presentation. For this stage, my advice is just to make sure that if you mention something in your presentation, you know enough about it to answer any follow-up questions about it. For example, if you briefly mention Brexit, be prepared to answer any question about other impacts it may have or what might happen in the event of a no-deal Brexit in this case study (obviously the no-deal part doesn't apply anymore, but you get the point). The questions didn't seem designed to trip me up and seemed more geared towards giving me an opportunity to expand on some of my earlier points and show my knowledge.

The rest of the interview was mostly competency questions (I didn't get any why CMS questions but can't speak for other people's interviews) and one or two basic situational judgment questions. The interview was quite relaxed and flowed more like a natural conversation, so I wasn't asked any difficult follow-up questions or specific commercial questions at any point.

For the group exercise, your group is given a task/question at the beginning of the exercise and then you have 30 minutes to prepare a 10-minute presentation with your group answering that question. The task itself was quite simple and didn't require much prior knowledge, since the point of the exercise is mainly to see how you work with others rather than to test your knowledge. This part of the AC was pretty straightforward, my only advice (even though it's super basic) is to just remember that the assessors are in the breakout room with you to watch how you interact with others, so make sure you're being a positive influence and encouraging others throughout the exercise, while still contributing some of your own ideas/thoughts. I'd also say keep an eye on the time because it can be very easy to get carried away with your discussion and not leave enough time to prepare your parts for the presentation.

That's pretty much it! This was my first assessment centre so I was very nervous and intimidated going into it, but it went by really quickly and I actually ended up enjoying it, so try not to stress over it too much (although I know that's easier said than done)!

I hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any questions!

Congratulations again MZ!

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I had the pleasure of choosing this week's winner, and I'm delighted to award it to user @MZ for their fantastic post on the CMS Assessment Centre. You can read it here:

Congratulations again MZ!

Wow thank you so much!! I really didn't expect this and I appreciate it a lot! I'm so glad to have the opportunity to help anyone who comes across it, if anyone has any messages about the CMS or BCLP assessment centres, I am more than happy to answer any questions on the thread or through PMs

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Wow thank you so much!! I really didn't expect this and I appreciate it a lot! I'm so glad to have the opportunity to help anyone who comes across it, if anyone has any messages about the CMS or BCLP assessment centres, I am more than happy to answer any questions on the thread or through PMs

A huge well done to you! I will drop you a PM :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So I missed a deadline last week and forgot to choose a winner for the week of the 25th January. I will blame it being deadline week and also self-assessment tax deadline too.

For all their great updates, supportive posts and general inquisitiveness, the winner from the week of the 25th January is @Holly.

Congratulations!

@Alice G will be posting the winner for the 1st February later this week.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    So I missed a deadline last week and forgot to choose a winner for the week of the 25th January. I will blame it being deadline week and also self-assessment tax deadline too.

For all their great updates, supportive posts and general inquisitiveness, the winner from the week of the 25th January is @Holly.

Congratulations!

@Alice G will be posting the winner for the 1st February later this week.

I can’t believe this! 😭 Thank you so so much. I really appreciate it 😱😍

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    The winner I have selected is @cmaj - thank you for always being so active in the forums and supportive of other members too. I really hope this will help you to prep for your incredibly well deserved RPC VS - huge congratulations from the entire TCLA team!!

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    The winner I have selected is @cmaj - thank you for always being so active in the forums and supportive of other members too. I really hope this will help you to prep for your incredibly well deserved RPC VS - huge congratulations from the entire TCLA team!!

Omg 😭😭😭 I didn't think people even noticed me on here, this is amazing thank you so much!!!!!! this is the BEST news of the day ❤️ ❤️ I wouldn't have got any VS offers without the help of TCLA so thank you all so much!!!!! ❤️ ❤️

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Omg 😭😭😭 I didn't think people even noticed me on here, this is amazing thank you so much!!!!!! this is the BEST news of the day ❤️ ❤️ I wouldn't have got any VS offers without the help of TCLA so thank you all so much!!!!! ❤️ ❤️

I think we've all noticed you on here! Well done - I will drop you a PM :)

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    I think we've all noticed you on here!
    Happy Feliz GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi Everyone!

We're happy to be continuing our weekly giveaway of TCLA Premium subscriptions throughout February!

I'd like to announce that my chosen winner for this week is @Alison C

It has been so lovely to read your posts which are not only incredibly supportive, but also extremely motivating and insightful for fellow career changers. I hope this giveaway helps you on your own journey ☺️

Congratulations!!

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.