Welcome! Introduce yourself here :)

bronson

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2018
Waddup everyone,

I am Bronson. I completed my LLB at the University of Nottingham and then my LLM at the University of Melbourne. I'm also working at a start-up commercial law firm in Australia and love everything blockchain related so feel free to swing me any questions you have.

Fun fact: my parents named my cat after Boris Johnson (minus the Johnson)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Waddup everyone,

I am Bronson. I completed my LLB at the University of Nottingham and then my LLM at the University of Melbourne.

Fun fact: my parents named my cat after Boris Johnson (minus the Johnson)

Welcome to our forums Bronson!

Tom L

Nov 23, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I am Tom. I am a history with contemporary Chinese studies graduate from the University of Nottingham and now I am working at BT on a dual role. Half of my role entails acting as a paralegal in the litigation team, the other half is working in their counsel management team, which basically involves acting as a relationship manager with external counsel.

Fun fact: I have 9 allergies....

Mimi

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2018
    Hey all!

I'm Mihira. I studied English and Philosophy at the University of Nottingham and recently graduated from a Masters in International Law at SOAS. I am currently working at a legal start-up consulting firm advising clients in PE. I am applying for vacation schemes and training contracts.

(Not so) fun fact: I absolutely love crime documentaries

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I am Tom. I am a history with contemporary Chinese studies graduate from the University of Nottingham and now I am working at BT on a dual role. Half of my role entails acting as a paralegal in the litigation team, the other half is working in their counsel management team, which basically involves acting as a relationship manager with external counsel.

Fun fact: I have 9 allergies....

Welcome Tom!

Hey all!

I'm Mihira. I studied English and Philosophy at the University of Nottingham and recently graduated from a Masters in International Law at SOAS. I am currently working at a legal start-up consulting firm advising clients in PE. I am applying for vacation schemes and training contracts.

(Not so) fun fact: I absolutely love crime documentaries

Welcome Mihira!

Great to have you both join our forum.

Martika

Dec 6, 2018
    Hello all,

Im Martika. I am an international student from Canada who received a BA - Political Science (Canada), and is now studying LLB - Law at the University of Leicester. I am currently a finalist, applying for vacation schemes and training contracts in the UK.

Fun Fact: I was a classically trained piano player for 10 years at the insistence of my parents, until I quit at 18 because I hated it.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello all,

Im Martika. I am an international student from Canada who received a BA - Political Science (Canada), and is now studying LLB - Law at the University of Leicester. I am currently a finalist, applying for vacation schemes and training contracts in the UK.

Fun Fact: I was a classically trained piano player for 10 years at the insistence of my parents, until I quit at 18 because I hated it.

Welcome!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Everyone,

I recently discovered TCLA and need to give a massive shout out to Jaysen for all the work he has put in to this.

By way of introduction my name is Alex, I studied economics at university and have since completed the GDL and LPC. I’m now working in London as a paralegal seeking a training contract.

Fun fact: I was a baby model.

Welcome Alex!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello everyone, I'm Jonathan. I graduated from Oxford this year, and I'm now working in cybersecurity.

Nice to meet you all; hope you had a Merry Xmas and have a Happy New Year!
    Hi everyone!

My name is Victoria and I'm a final year law student at QMUL! I studied business previously in Canada and I'm hoping to secure a training contract in London! :)

Welcome guys!

rn7

Premium Member
    Apr 13, 2019
    Hello everyone!

My name is Rick. I just got done with the first year of my LLB. Much more fun than I imagined!

What hasn't been so fun is the mountain of rejections from insight schemes and open days ;(
    I feel the rejections were due to my mediocre foreign diploma (equivalent to ABB). I wasn't too focused in college and I do regret it. At least now, after a gap year, it's out of my system and I'm much more focused on the future.
    Poor commercial awareness is definitely another factor. I got through to interviews with BCLP and DLA, both of which I bombed because I didn't know what a PE fund was.

That's what prompted me to join TCLA. I've been going through the courses over the past month. I also read 'Know the City' by Stoakes, per Jaysen's recommendation in another thread. Definitely a great read!

The PE and M&A courses on here were very informative and delivered in an easily-digestible way. A great starting point which sparked my interest for further research into these areas.

I don't know how Jaysen can spare the time to come up with these courses and contribute to this site while also working at a firm as demanding his. All I can say is: Thank you!

Anyway, I've chattered on far too much. What matters is that I'm glad to be on board and hope to be able to contribute in the future.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hello everyone!

My name is Rick. I just got done with the first year of my LLB. Much more fun than I imagined!

What hasn't been so fun is the mountain of rejections from insight schemes and open days ;(
    I feel the rejections were due to my mediocre foreign diploma (equivalent to ABB). I wasn't too focused in college and I do regret it. At least now, after a gap year, it's out of my system and I'm much more focused on the future.
    Poor commercial awareness is definitely another factor. I got through to interviews with BCLP and DLA, both of which I bombed because I didn't know what a PE fund was.

That's what prompted me to join TCLA. I've been going through the courses over the past month. I also read 'Know the City' by Stoakes, per Jaysen's recommendation in another thread. Definitely a great read!

The PE and M&A courses on here were very informative and delivered in an easily-digestible way. A great starting point which sparked my interest for further research into these areas.

I don't know how Jaysen can spare the time to come up with these courses and contribute to this site while also working at a firm as demanding his. All I can say is: Thank you!

Anyway, I've chattered on far too much. What matters is that I'm glad to be on board and hope to be able to contribute in the future.
    Great to have you with us Rick! Any questions feel free to post/start a new thread or just message any of us privately and we'll do our best to help answer your questions :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and rn7

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello everyone!

Welcome Rick, as Dan said if you ever have questions, feel free to create a post and we'll do our best to help. And don't worry we can work on your commercial awareness :)

I am actually no longer working at my law firm, I definitely couldn't balance the two!

• 🤝
    Reactions: rn7

rn7

Premium Member
    Apr 13, 2019
    Welcome Rick, as Dan said if you ever have questions, feel free to create a post and we'll do our best to help. And don't worry we can work on your commercial awareness :)

I am actually no longer working at my law firm, I definitely couldn't balance the two!
    Thanks to both you and Daniel for the warm welcome!

I had no idea you were no longer at Weil. I am sorry to hear that. If I may ask, what will you be doing now?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks to both you and Daniel for the warm welcome!

I had no idea you were no longer at Weil. I am sorry to hear that. If I may ask, what will you be doing now?

No problem, I actually left over a year ago - I work on TCLA full time!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hello folks,

I'm Matt, and I'm going into the second year of a senior status law degree at Bristol University, after studying for my undergrad in Scotland. If anyone has any questions about senior status, here or elsewhere, ask away.

I've been vaguely aware of TCLA for a while (Jaysen added me on LinkedIn and I always read his very useful posts on there), but I'm now ready to start applying for jobs properly and this place has a treasure trove of information about training contracts. It's honestly so impressive and I'm not surprised you have managed to help get so many people contracts.

I personally find the different styles of application forms and not exactly knowing what the recruiters at different firms want really daunting. I don't appear to be too great at interview either. Over the past three years, I have interviewed for vac schemes at Shearman & Sterling, Osborne Clarke, and a training contract at Slaughter and May. I'm chuffed that I was considered worth interviewing at such good firms, but I sadly bombed them all, largely for different reasons.

Hopefully coming here will help me jump over these hurdles and I'll finally be able to get a job in Law!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello folks,

I'm Matt, and I'm going into the second year of a senior status law degree at Bristol University, after studying for my undergrad in Scotland. If anyone has any questions about senior status, here or elsewhere, ask away.

I've been vaguely aware of TCLA for a while (Jaysen added me on LinkedIn and I always read his very useful posts on there), but I'm now ready to start applying for jobs properly and this place has a treasure trove of information about training contracts. It's honestly so impressive and I'm not surprised you have managed to help get so many people contracts.

I personally find the different styles of application forms and not exactly knowing what the recruiters at different firms want really daunting. I don't appear to be too great at interview either. Over the past three years, I have interviewed for vac schemes at Shearman & Sterling, Osborne Clarke, and a training contract at Slaughter and May. I'm chuffed that I was considered worth interviewing at such good firms, but I sadly bombed them all, largely for different reasons.

Hopefully coming here will help me jump over these hurdles and I'll finally be able to get a job in Law!

Welcome to the forum Matt. Considering the list of firms you’ve already interviewed at, it looks like you’re well on your way. Looking forward to seeing how you get on!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hello folks,

Apologies for being a little late here @Matt_96 but I wanted to offer you a warm welcome and I am really glad that you have joined us on the forum! The only way to improve is through practice and by having those interview experiences you will be in such a great position this year. I know it may not feel like it but trust me! Please message any time if you have any any questions :)

Reactions: Jaysen

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    Hello everyone!

I'm Dominika and I am a LLB graduate from Brunel University, currently working as in-house paralegal for technology company.

I have only started applying for TCs in my final year with mixed results (one AC, a couple of VI, plenty of rejections) and during the past year I sadly managed to secure only one vac scheme (moved onto the final interview which I bombed spectacularly thanks to my lack of confidence influenced by EU national complex).

Once I got the aforementioned rejection, which broke my heart, I decided that I really need to put my pride in my pocket and sign up for TCLA - I do really hope that it will be my first step to a brighter future, because I finally recognised that there is perhaps no shame in asking for help.

Admittedly, my morales are currently very low and I still have a bucket of tears to shed, but once this is done I will get on with these applications!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hello everyone!

I'm Dominika and I am a LLB graduate from Brunel University, currently working as in-house paralegal for technology company.

I have only started applying for TCs in my final year with mixed results (one AC, a couple of VI, plenty of rejections) and during the past year I sadly managed to secure only one vac scheme (moved onto the final interview which I bombed spectacularly thanks to my lack of confidence influenced by EU national complex).

Once I got the aforementioned rejection, which broke my heart, I decided that I really need to put my pride in my pocket and sign up for TCLA - I do really hope that it will be my first step to a brighter future, because I finally recognised that there is perhaps no shame in asking for help.

Admittedly, my morales are currently very low and I still have a bucket of tears to shed, but once this is done I will get on with these applications!

Hi Dominika,

I just wanted to wish you a warm welcome and say that it’s a pleasure to have you on the forums :)

Securing a vac scheme is an incredible feat so having gotten one of them is a truly exceptional achievement!

I too have been struggling since my rejection in July for a firm I truly wanted so I really resonate with you there. It’s only this week that I’ve started to feel motivated and that I’ve started to look again!

If you want to have a chat at all feel free to message me! I also ought to add that I too suffered from major self confidence issues on my first scheme and it was a reason for my rejection, so I understand that too. But know you are a great candidate, as evidenced from everything you say above, and it really is when and not if!!

Alice :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: D95 and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello everyone!

Hang in there Dominika, we'll be rooting for you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.