Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

datguyak

Esteemed Member
Nov 20, 2018
quick question for the Linklaters application- when talking about the major change and industry disruptions which could affect the firm, I have found that a lot of what I have said is probably equally applicable to other international law firms- does this mean it is not tailored enough? (I know it wouldn't be if it instead was a question about why you want to work at Linklaters)- hope this makes sense- it's my first time answering this style of question.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
quick question for the Linklaters application- when talking about the major change and industry disruptions which could affect the firm, I have found that a lot of what I have said is probably equally applicable to other international law firms- does this mean it is not tailored enough? (I know it wouldn't be if it instead was a question about why you want to work at Linklaters)- hope this makes sense- it's my first time answering this style of question.

I don’t know what the specific question is, but I don’t think it should be a problem, as long as you can clearly articulate how and why it affects Linklaters. :)

Reactions: datguyak

CF

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hey! After many rejections, I received a video interview for White & Case! What questions should I prepare for? (Aside from the standard, why law, why commercial law, why the firm ect)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hey! After many rejections, I received a video interview for White & Case! What questions should I prepare for? (Aside from the standard, why law, why commercial law, why the firm ect)

I'd advise preparing for it like you would any face-to-face interview.

I don't know if they've changed it up this year, but last year they asked me one motivational question (why W&C), one competency (a time I showed resilience) and one commercial question (commercial issue that has interested me recently). I had 90 seconds for each answer and 30-60 seconds to prepare for each question.

Practice a few times if you can because it takes a while to get used to timing your answers within the allocated timeframe and making sure you maintain eye contact with your webcam lens.

Hope this helps!

• 🤝
Reactions: Salma and CF

CF

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
I'd advise preparing for it like you would any face-to-face interview.

I don't know if they've changed it up this year, but last year they asked me one motivational question (why W&C), one competency (a time I showed resilience) and one commercial question (commercial issue that has interested me recently). I had 90 seconds for each answer and 30-60 seconds to prepare for each question.

Practice a few times if you can because it takes a while to get used to timing your answers within the allocated timeframe and making sure you maintain eye contact with your webcam lens.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so so much John! This has been a lot of help :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Guys,

Just received interview confirmation for A&O and Jones Days.

Any advice?

had a CC interview last year, so if anyone needs advice, please message me will be happy to help.

Hey! After many rejections, I received a video interview for White & Case! What questions should I prepare for? (Aside from the standard, why law, why commercial law, why the firm etc)

Very well done guys! Best of luck for the rest of the process!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Sorry i meant i thought they don’t recruit on a rolling basis

In my experience with Links last year, my application was also screened before the deadline, but my interview took place after the deadline.

That's consistent with the information they provide on their graduate recruitment website - so while they don't 'interview' on a rolling basis, I think it's fair to say they do 'recruit' on a rolling basis (check their choice of words!).

They are only 'non-rolling' in the sense that all interviews are scheduled and TC/VS offers made after the deadline. So actually...you would still want to get your application in early - logically you would have a better chance of getting an earlier interview slot/job offer if your application was screened earlier!

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 10.23.56 pm.png

Last edited:

Shane

Distinguished Member
    Jul 22, 2018
    Just got invited to do the Watson Glaser test for Dentons. This was my first ever vac scheme application so quite excited. Any advice for preparing for it, also does anyone know if Dentons has a strict cut off or does it look at the the application and test specifically. I have 4 days to prepare, is that enough time ?

Reactions: Salma and Jaysen

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just got invited to do the Watson Glaser test for Dentons. This was my first ever vac scheme application so quite excited. Any advice for preparing for it, also does anyone know if Dentons has a strict cut off or does it look at the the application and test specifically. I have 4 days to prepare, is that enough time ?
    My advice would be practice, practice, practice! Use Clifford Chance's Watson Glaser to practise. There are multiple threads on this topic in the forum so check those out :)

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Hey Shane!

As Daniel mentioned practice a lot and just so you are aware Dentons do not progress you to the next stage (first round interview) until you pass the WGT.

I hope this helps, good luck :)

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018

My advice would be practice, practice, practice! Use Clifford Chance's Watson Glaser to practise. There are multiple threads on this topic in the forum so check those out :)

Something I’ve noticed this year after having taken a break from apps and Watson Glazer, is that a lot of questions are repeated. Both from practice tests and between different firms. So spend some time after the practice test going back over the questions to understand why you chose the answer you did, what you’d choose next time, etc along with the reasoning.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.