2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, for video interviews I tend to practice with a timer and eventually learn my answers by heart. If the questions are the same as the ones I rehearsed I may sound a bit unnatural or not spontaneous, do you know if this is something that is taken into account when assessing VIs?

Many thanks

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I once got feedback from a VI saying it sounded too rehearsed if that helps
    Hi @Jessica Booker, for video interviews I tend to practice with a timer and eventually learn my answers by heart. If the questions are the same as the ones I rehearsed I may sound a bit unnatural or not spontaneous, do you know if this is something that is taken into account when assessing VIs?

Many thanks

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Sadly this is a fairly normal occurrence with US firms with small trainee intakes so I wouldn't be surprised and would always recommend people apply for the vac scheme if they can for this reason :(
    Yeah, I totally get that. Although, I did ask around some Future Trainees and Trainees at the firm and it wasn't unusual for Covington to hire at least 2-3 people from the Direct TC route (out of a cohort of 9).

I do think it's very unethical for firms to continue having their application portals open when they're aware / sure / confirmed that all VSers will be getting their TCs.

Ah well! Onto another cycle I suppose :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: AspiringSol and BiancaM

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    Mine is on Wednesday! The best of luck with yours tomorrow! I talked to a couple of people who went through it, and they said it's fairly relaxed with standard questions. They also told me that not everyone gets one, so to take it as a positive sign re your application
    Just had my Morgan Lewis interview - it is definitely quite straightforward and she is really nice so it's not something to stress over. I'd say just prep the usual why law etc, and look at some basic competency questions. Good luck!

Reactions: Joelybob and dext92

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Yeah, I totally get that. Although, I did ask around some Future Trainees and Trainees at the firm and it wasn't unusual for Covington to hire at least 2-3 people from the Direct TC route (out of a cohort of 9).

I do think it's very unethical for firms to continue having their application portals open when they're aware / sure / confirmed that all VSers will be getting their TCs.

Ah well! Onto another cycle I suppose :(
    Ah I see! Well, in that case, it might be worth giving Covington a call or an email just to see if they have any TC places open?

But I completely understand your frustration and totally agree that if a position has been filled, firms should take down the portal for this reason.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.