TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, after signing employment contracts with a firm for a junior legal role, I was offered a TC from another firm. I am going to renege my acceptance with the first firm. I was wondering in what way could this be done best? I assume a telephone call then in writing but how would I word it? I'm just worried the firm would think I've been playing them around and I want to avoid any sort of awkward confrontation.
Yes - best to call and then write an email confirming you are withdrawing your acceptance and will not be proceeding with the role.

I’ll be frank, you are playing them really but you have to own it/deal with it. The firm are going to be relieved you withdrew before you joined rather than shortly after joining, so although they won’t be pleased, it’s a better outcome than them investing time and effort to onboard you/train you up, for you to then leave. They will have been in this situation before many times - they just move on from it. This sounds even more brutal, but they will just find a replacement, so it’s not too much of an issue for them really.

D

Deleted member 2707

When an interviewer asks you to talk about a "commercial story", what am I supposed to say really? Just a description of what I've read or how am I able to stand out from the crowd?

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    When an interviewer asks you to talk about a "commercial story", what am I supposed to say really? Just a description of what I've read or how am I able to stand out from the crowd?
    Hey - I don't think a description is enough, what they're looking for is analysis e.g. how does the story fit into long-term trends, what are the implications for different parties/the economy etc, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the transaction/trend/decision, how would it potentially impact law firms...and so on. You have to show that you've really thought about things rather than just read.

Reactions: Andrew M, OB and Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

To echo what Kubed has said, I think the best way to go about this is:

1. Summarise the story you've read briefly and why you find it interesting - The latter part is pretty important imo. Law firms want people that come across as passionate about the commercial world too.
    2. Identify the wider commercial trends in the story - I think most stories have at least two or three trends that you can identify and I would encourage you to pick at least two to zero in on. Then consider how these trends are affecting that specific industry/sector as a whole
    3. Your opinion - Taking a long term view how do you see this trend changing over the coming months?
    4. How will this impact law firms - this is not a hard and fast rule and some people don't include this at all but I personally always did. Think about which practice areas might see an increase or decrease in work, which specific clients at the law firm you're interviewing at will be affected etc.

If you're still a premium member, we actually summarise a commercial story every week on the premium forum and I think the latest one especially gives you a good idea on how to structure your responses for these kinds of questions! :)

james134

Jun 26, 2021
    Was confused and was seeking some opinions for people that have gone through this.

I am about to complete my LLM and move on to doing the LPC at University of Law and was wondering what the difference was between the LPC postgraduate diploma and LPC LLM.

Are there different academic requirements and will law firms prefer one. I was leaning towards simply getting the diploma as I am about to complete one LLM degree already.

Thanks guys

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Was confused and was seeking some opinions for people that have gone through this.

I am about to complete my LLM and move on to doing the LPC at University of Law and was wondering what the difference was between the LPC postgraduate diploma and LPC LLM.

Are there different academic requirements and will law firms prefer one. I was leaning towards simply getting the diploma as I am about to complete one LLM degree already.

Thanks guys
    The LLM just adds on some modules so that it fulfills the Masters requirement for student finance. I haven't come across any firms that actually require it, it just makes the LPC more accessible if not firm sponsored

Reactions: OB

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Really needing some support and motivation here. I got two vacation schemes this year (sort of). Firm 1 (F1) I had a cancelled vacation scheme last year that was moved to spring this year. Firm 2 (F2) was a direct-TC application last year and after the final stage assessment in Spring this year (delayed from last summer due to Covid) they invited me to a vacation scheme instead.
    After my vacation scheme with F1 they said I needed to complete a separate application for the TC, which I did and completed the AC and got invited to the final partner interview. Two days before the interview, I fell really unwell but went anyway, cocked it up entirely. I emailed later on to explain that I was unwell (in hospital) but was told I was unsuccessful. F2 had a one day vacation scheme, I sat in on a couple of meetings (wasn't briefed on anything before the meetings) and was sent some documents to read over and had a chat with some trainees - they didn't ask me to do any work or anything. I was told on a few occasions that I wasn't being assessed and that this day was an opportunity for me to get to know the firm (it was entirely online). I was still unwell. At the end of the day, the partner overseeing my "vacation scheme" (who organised which meetings I would be in but I didn't actually speak to them on a call or anything) said in an email that I wasn't being offered a TC and "there's no need for us to speak again". I've just been discharged from hospital now, after two months being ill, and had been told I had encephalitis and intracranial hypertension. I feel like I powered through on these two days for absolutely nothing and spent so much time and effort and energy on their application processes just to have this completely thrown away. Both firms have declined to give me feedback even though I was on the very final stage of the process - one firm I know I messed up (I was barely conscious) but the other is baffling (how could I have messed up shadowing a meeting virtually whilst "not being assessed"?).
    I already have a graduate level job and would be taking a pay cut to be a trainee, but I hate my job and have wanted to be a lawyer for as long as I can remember. I feel like every time I get anywhere, it gets fucked up at the last moment - this is my third cycle (in my first cycle I was hospitalised November-June and really unwell, I fell over in a final stage interview and messed that up. In my second cycle, I secured two vacation schemes, one was cancelled entirely and one was postponed to this year. And this year, I had two strong leads and messed it all up at the last minute). The thought of starting the whole thing again next cycle is killing me - how long do I stick it out before realising this is never going to happen for me?

D

Deleted member 2707

Hey - I don't think a description is enough, what they're looking for is analysis e.g. how does the story fit into long-term trends, what are the implications for different parties/the economy etc, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the transaction/trend/decision, how would it potentially impact law firms...and so on. You have to show that you've really thought about things rather than just read.
    To echo what Kubed has said, I think the best way to go about this is:

1. Summarise the story you've read briefly and why you find it interesting - The latter part is pretty important imo. Law firms want people that come across as passionate about the commercial world too.
    2. Identify the wider commercial trends in the story - I think most stories have at least two or three trends that you can identify and I would encourage you to pick at least two to zero in on. Then consider how these trends are affecting that specific industry/sector as a whole
    3. Your opinion - Taking a long term view how do you see this trend changing over the coming months?
    4. How will this impact law firms - this is not a hard and fast rule and some people don't include this at all but I personally always did. Think about which practice areas might see an increase or decrease in work, which specific clients at the law firm you're interviewing at will be affected etc.

If you're still a premium member, we actually summarise a commercial story every week on the premium forum and I think the latest one especially gives you a good idea on how to structure your responses for these kinds of questions! :)

Thank you guys! So would it be right if I said something like:

"I've been following the 'meme-stock' craze that started early this year, zoning in on the AMC stock. This was when retail investors boosted up the stock price of the soon-to-be-bust cinema franchise. This was short-lived though as AMC's share price plunged in June; despite the increased revenue and profits. The AMC situation underscored the rise of retail investors and their increased power within the stock market. It was a novel situation, with institutional investors having had such a tight hold on to the market for so long. However, this was not bound to last. The demise of AMC is reflected in other so called 'meme stocks'- Gamestop also observed a lost in the recent quarter and Robinhood, who recently had a failed IPO, have had the 'meme stock' labelled tacked onto it. In the long term, it is unlikely that meme stocks will thrive or even survive. Institutional investors are still very powerful and retain their larger sway on the market. However, it is refreshing to see laymen enter the stock market, despite their failed attempts at challenging the incumbents."

Very bad summary/shallow analysis since I have had such a long day but would such a structure be fine?

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Thank you guys! So would it be right if I said something like:

"I've been following the 'meme-stock' craze that started early this year, zoning in on the AMC stock. This was when retail investors boosted up the stock price of the soon-to-be-bust cinema franchise. This was short-lived though as AMC's share price plunged in June; despite the increased revenue and profits. The AMC situation underscored the rise of retail investors and their increased power within the stock market. It was a novel situation, with institutional investors having had such a tight hold on to the market for so long. However, this was not bound to last. The demise of AMC is reflected in other so called 'meme stocks'- Gamestop also observed a lost in the recent quarter and Robinhood, who recently had a failed IPO, have had the 'meme stock' labelled tacked onto it. In the long term, it is unlikely that meme stocks will thrive or even survive. Institutional investors are still very powerful and retain their larger sway on the market. However, it is refreshing to see laymen enter the stock market, despite their failed attempts at challenging the incumbents."

Very bad summary/shallow analysis since I have had such a long day but would such a structure be fine?
    Try also fit in how the deal impacts the firm you’re interviewing at too if possible

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hello!!

Just a quick note to say that after a horrendously busy year, I finish this cycle with one rejection post VS and a TC offer from Dentons, my top choice! I am not even ashamed to admit how many hours I spent on this forum rather than studying, and everyone’s help has been so so important in this journey. Just wanna say a huge thank you to everyone here, and if I can be of any help to anyone please DM me!

Have a fantastic summer everyone!!!🥳🥳

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In addition to the great comments given already, start by explaining very briefly why you choose that story over the millions you could have chosen. It will explain something about you and your interests, which is a vital part of the assessment to a qusafiom like this.

Reactions: OB and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello!!

Just a quick note to say that after a horrendously busy year, I finish this cycle with one rejection post VS and a TC offer from Dentons, my top choice! I am not even ashamed to admit how many hours I spent on this forum rather than studying, and everyone’s help has been so so important in this journey. Just wanna say a huge thank you to everyone here, and if I can be of any help to anyone please DM me!

Have a fantastic summer everyone!!!🥳🥳
    Amazing news - congratulations!

Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: djqb

RP

Dec 21, 2020
    Hi everyone!
    Although I wasn’t successful for the firm in which I completed a VS for the TC, the feedback I received was extremely positive - as a result, I have been offered the opportunity to paralegal at the firm and to apply internally for the TC next year. However, as a non law graduate, I have just received my offer for the full time GDL, which I would be unable to complete in the full time paralegal role.
    I could really do with some advice if anyone has been in a similar situation - I know it’s the last year to study the GDL, which I would like to study, but I feel like paralegalling at the firm which I loved my VS in is such an amazing opportunity to get legal experience and the possibility of a TC next year.
    Any advice would be appreciated !!!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone!
    Although I wasn’t successful for the firm in which I completed a VS for the TC, the feedback I received was extremely positive - as a result, I have been offered the opportunity to paralegal at the firm and to apply internally for the TC next year. However, as a non law graduate, I have just received my offer for the full time GDL, which I would be unable to complete in the full time paralegal role.
    I could really do with some advice if anyone has been in a similar situation - I know it’s the last year to study the GDL, which I would like to study, but I feel like paralegalling at the firm which I loved my VS in is such an amazing opportunity to get legal experience and the possibility of a TC next year.
    Any advice would be appreciated !!!!
    I’d go with the job every time. Doing the GDL could be a waste of time if the firm converts to the SQE anyway.

RP

Dec 21, 2020
    I’d go with the job every time. Doing the GDL could be a waste of time if the firm converts to the SQE anyway.
    Thanks Jessica - the firm has told me that they’re going to move to the SQE for the 2024 intake, but I was just a bit worried about the process as a non law grad with the SQE prep courses and how they would be funded/completed :) thank you!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica - the firm has told me that they’re going to move to the SQE for the 2024 intake, but I was just a bit worried about the process as a non law grad with the SQE prep courses and how they would be funded/completed :) thank you!!
    Speak the firm about that - but it sounds like you would be only considered for a 2024 TC anyway if you did choose to do the GDL this year and reapplied.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hiiiii PFO from S+M, did kind of expect it just because it was my dream firm (always better to expect rejection in my case, that way I get on and persevere more quickly).
    anyway, I applied for the direct TC, and it says online that if I apply again it is unlikely to be accepted/positive unless there has been major changes to my application.
    now, I have two questions -
    1. What exactly do they mean by major changes? - a job, masters, more experience, or just a better application?
    2. Will I be able to apply for the VS? Or will I not be able to without this ‘significant improvement’? I didn’t apply for the VS this year as I wasn’t in the right mindset and wanted to improve my app for the TC instead).
    Thanks so much!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.