TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have a list of firms with opening dates and deadlines? :))
Thread here that we are updating as we find out. A lot of firms haven’t announced their opening dates yet (might not be for a few more weeks).

Reactions: Jaysen and saz a

saz a

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jun 29, 2020
Thread here that we are updating as we find out. A lot of firms haven’t announced their opening dates yet (might not be for a few more weeks).

Thank you!! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Realise this is a basic b**ch question lol

For sections on applications taking about “achievements and activities’ what kind of things are people taking about?
I have a few academic things, and I was in the top 2% for one module results last year which I could mention? 🤷🏻‍♀️ but what kind of extra things do you guys include?
I’ve just done half a marathon, is that relevant? 😅
Both of these things are relevant - the first is an achievement , the second is an activity.

You can include anything that requires time or effort (or both) as activities, and achievements can be anything you are proud of achieving or anything you have been recognised for achieving.

Can be sports, arts, volunteering, politics, fundraising, charity work, writing, societies, groups etc

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Hi guys - just wondering how useful a letter of recommendation from my internship would be for applications? A lot of my feedback from my supervisor has been really positive and the head of department said himself that he would be happy to help with recommending me to law firms so I was thinking about asking for a letter of recommendation for any future job applications but not sure how I would attach it to any TC/VS apps? I will definitely put them down as a reference from now on but also not sure when in the process they tend to ask for references so not sure how influential it might be?
@Jessica Booker would you be able to give some insight? Thanks so much for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys - just wondering how useful a letter of recommendation from my internship would be for applications? A lot of my feedback from my supervisor has been really positive and the head of department said himself that he would be happy to help with recommending me to law firms so I was thinking about asking for a letter of recommendation for any future job applications but not sure how I would attach it to any TC/VS apps? I will definitely put them down as a reference from now on but also not sure when in the process they tend to ask for references so not sure how influential it might be?
@Jessica Booker would you be able to give some insight? Thanks so much for your help!
Not really in all honesty. Firms tend to try and keep to a fairly consistent/standard set of information as a matter of fairness to all candidates.

I have seen enough attached for it to not be an issue should you choose to include one. But I wouldn’t go out of your way to get one for VS or TC applicants for major firms.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Quite a lot of variables here to say how difficult it is.

There are enough people who do it upon qualification though, either because they want to move away from the firm they trained in or because they aren’t offered a NQ role.

But how likely it is will depend on the firm you train with, the work you have done as a trainee, the seats/secondments you have done, and where you are aiming to work for upon qualification (both in terms of firm and practice area).

It isn’t straight forward and will depend on other factors such as the networks you build/the agencies you register with/how proactive you are in seeking a NQ role too (which can be difficult if you are busy working).

As a related question, how easy is it to transition as a relatively fresh (NQ-2PQE) associate from one practice area to a semi-related other one? E.g. let's say I wanted to move from construction disputes to more general litigation & arbitration or commercial real estate to projects & infrastructure, as examples.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As a related question, how easy is it to transition as a relatively fresh (NQ-2PQE) associate from one practice area to a semi-related other one? E.g. let's say I wanted to move from construction disputes to more general litigation & arbitration or commercial real estate to projects & infrastructure, as examples.
    Within a firm it might be possible especially if those teams work relatively close together on matters. It would probably be more difficult to move across firms and across teams at the same time though.

How difficult/easy it is impossible to say - again there ars foo many variables here do take into account to give you a clear indication.

Probably your best way is finding people who have done that type of move on LinkedIn and seeing how they found the processes of moving.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hello alllll,
    Currently doing Mishcon’s vac scheme app and I’ve written a great answer for
    ‘What is a current news story you’ve found interesting and what are its implications’
    HOWEVER- I’ve now read the question again and the actual question is ‘What is a current legal case that caught your attention and what are its implications?’ 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I originally talked about a hedge fund removing funding from two companies last week - how that would set precedent, the global legal implications and the implications for the firm- do you think I’ll get away with this answer? Yes it’s technically a finance case and not legal but I do talk about the legal implications and how it could effect the firm.
    I could change it but I spent so much time on it 😂😂

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hello alllll,
    Currently doing Mishcon’s vac scheme app and I’ve written a great answer for
    ‘What is a current news story you’ve found interesting and what are its implications’
    HOWEVER- I’ve now read the question again and the actual question is ‘What is a current legal case that caught your attention and what are its implications?’ 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I originally talked about a hedge fund removing funding from two companies last week - how that would set precedent, the global legal implications and the implications for the firm- do you think I’ll get away with this answer? Yes it’s technically a finance case and not legal but I do talk about the legal implications and how it could effect the firm.
    I could change it but I spent so much time on it 😂😂
    I would redo but then find another firm--ANY firm!--with the original question to apply to! 🤣

Reactions: Hele25

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I would redo but then find another firm--ANY firm!--with the original question to apply to! 🤣
    Hahaha as soon as I wrote the question I said “you can’t answer the question you want to hear and ignore the one they’ve asked- you dolt” 😂😂🤦🏻‍♀️ That will teach me to read the question twice!
    Off to find a firm that I can copy and paste my answer to now! (With significant amendments, it was so catered to Mishcon that it’s basically useless tbh 😭

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Hahaha as soon as I wrote the question I said “you can’t answer the question you want to hear and ignore the one they’ve asked- you dolt” 😂😂🤦🏻‍♀️ That will teach me to read the question twice!
    Off to find a firm that I can copy and paste my answer to now! (With significant amendments, it was so catered to Mishcon that it’s basically useless tbh 😭
    I feel like that answer will be useful to a lot of firms’ apps! Also, is there no legal case or potential legal case surrounding the story you talked about? If there isn’t then you shouldn’t use it but if there is sort of then you could get away with it I think

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hey guys, I was just going through some M&A stuff and I came across a sentence that went something like "the lawyers will also help determine the financing- is it going to issue shares or borrow money through debt finance and in both cases, it will need the support of the banking team of a law firm."

Can anyone tell me if this is true or not? I thought Investment bankers decided the above?

Thanks

erose98

Standard Member
    Feb 6, 2021
    Hey - is anyone doing the PGDL at BPP Waterloo this year / does anyone know if the induction is online or in person?? Induction events have popped up on my calendar but having a nightmare trying to decipher them!

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker I just submitted an application for a vacation scheme that takes place strictly on a rolling basis, but the application confirmation email says "we will be in contact after the deadline". Is this normal?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I just submitted an application for a vacation scheme that takes place strictly on a rolling basis, but the application confirmation email says "we will be in contact after the deadline". Is this normal?
    Yes - they can still review applications on a rolling basis and reject people, but decide not to contact you until after the deadline, dependent on the strength of other applicants.

Reactions: djqb

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Is it ok to reuse a cover letter (for the same firm) from last year's application cycle if you were able to get past the application stage to the Watson Glaser test?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.