TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
Completely agree with @Nicole15! My only suggestion is that to keep the cover letter to a page and, since they have been specific about what they are looking for, ensure that you really flesh out your motivations for wanting to apply to Skadden and why you're a good fit.

A helpful way to do this is to relate your answers back to your motivations, traits, skills and aspirations for your career. For example, if you say that XYZ deal at the firm stood out to you, you should also say why this deal captured your interest and what you think deals like this mean for your training and career. Similarly, if you say the ABC characteristic makes you a good fit, you should mention how this matches with the firm's values/ethos and potentially how this characteristic will influence/impact your training.

Wishing you the best!
Thank you and to everyone else who replied as well.

Their cover letter is limited to 300 words only, which is why I asked in the first place. Because they sort of set out what they are looking for in the wording of the question, and with such a limited word count, I wasn't sure if I should/can include much on "why law."

I would have followed the "why law" "why firm" "why me" structure in a longer cover letter.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thank you and to everyone else who replied as well.

Their cover letter is limited to 300 words only, which is why I asked in the first place. Because they sort of set out what they are looking for in the wording of the question, and with such a limited word count, I wasn't sure if I should/can include much on "why law."

I would have followed the "why law" "why firm" "why me" structure in a longer cover letter.
You can include why law.

For example: they are equally balanced when it comes to contentious and transactional work you can express that appeals to you because of X,Y experiences. Explain briefly what you did and show your interest in commercial law.

Skadden entire application is all abut show me every single thing about you!

em311

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 15, 2019

I hope these help improve your score in practice tests! And congratulations on your WG invite! 🥳

Thank you so much!!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
I’m absolutely stumped on how to answer the ashurst summer vac scheme question “please summarise for us what a commercial lawyer does”.
Should I give a general overview? Or touch more upon one of their practice areas and what a lawyer may do within this area?
I think I may give a general overview and then focus upon the clients/law firms actually being a business in and of itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.