TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hey- Freshfields requires a personal statement in their given format. They have a separate block for name and a separate block for personal statement. Does this mean I dont have to start with stuff like "Dear Graduate Team... I am interested in applying for ABC" or end with "Yours faithfully, XYZ"- given that it's not a cover letter!? Also confused whether I can do divisions like Why Law, Why Firm, Why Me sections as I do in cover letters. @Jessica Booker would you have any insight on this?
    Do why you, why the firm, why law but no formalities required as it is not a cover letter

Reactions: AvniD

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    This isn't a question but just wanted to remind people to be kind to yourselves over the festive period. With application deadlines looming and upcoming assessments, it can feel like a really stressful time. I like to say that if you don't rest, your body will do it for you. Try and create space for downtime, if you're able to. I hope someone finds this encouraging (this is also a message to myself!). :)

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Just finished my NRF telephone interview and I have no idea how I've done. We started a little late because of some logistical issues and that meant that my first answer needed to be compressed a bit and she had to ask me to wrap up. Is that fatal?
    My nrf interview went perfectly and I still got rejected so honestly you cannot predict these things

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    My nrf interview went perfectly and I still got rejected so honestly you cannot predict these things
    I am so sorry that you got rejected - hopefully better news is forthcoming :) If you do not mind mentioning, did they give you comments after your NRF interview about why they did not give you the AC?

NW Law

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Could I ask whether it's still worth applying to CMS as it's so near the deadline?
    It definitely is still worth applying for, yes! They may have given some out some AC invitations already - but there will still be plenty left. Rolling firms accept that a huge number of applications tend to come in the final days of the application process - so there will be plenty of invitations left which, even those who applied near the deadline, could be given one. From my understanding a lot of their core decisions will be made around the week commencing the 3rd of January - so even applying by the deadline still gives you a chance to get into an AC. So go for it if you're interested in CMS! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just finished my NRF telephone interview and I have no idea how I've done. We started a little late because of some logistical issues and that meant that my first answer needed to be compressed a bit and she had to ask me to wrap up. Is that fatal?
    No - this won't be fatal at all.

These things happen a lot and recruiters take logistical issues into consideration.

Reactions: Veep9

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey- Freshfields requires a personal statement in their given format. They have a separate block for name and a separate block for personal statement. Does this mean I dont have to start with stuff like "Dear Graduate Team... I am interested in applying for ABC" or end with "Yours faithfully, XYZ"- given that it's not a cover letter!? Also confused whether I can do divisions like Why Law, Why Firm, Why Me sections as I do in cover letters. @Jessica Booker would you have any insight on this?
    There is no need to format it as a cover letter. Think of it more as a UCAS application statement format (assuming people still have to do these!).

You need to include anything you think is relevant in this statement. Some people do use the traditional "why law, why the firm, why me" structures for their FBD PS, but many others do not. It is really for you to put your individual stamp on in terms of structure/layout/content.

Reactions: AvniD and vacschemeapss

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    It definitely is still worth applying for, yes! They may have given some out some AC invitations already - but there will still be plenty left. Rolling firms accept that a huge number of applications tend to come in the final days of the application process - so there will be plenty of invitations left which, even those who applied near the deadline, could be given one. From my understanding a lot of their core decisions will be made around the week commencing the 3rd of January - so even applying by the deadline still gives you a chance to get into an AC. So go for it if you're interested in CMS! :)
    Thank you!!

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    There is no need to format it as a cover letter. Think of it more as a UCAS application statement format (assuming people still have to do these!).

You need to include anything you think is relevant in this statement. Some people do use the traditional "why law, why the firm, why me" structures for their FBD PS, but many others do not. It is really for you to put your individual stamp on in terms of structure/layout/content.
    Thanks so much for this Jessica!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.