Shahil

Star Member
Dec 11, 2018
Hi guys,

The first question for RPC's Summer Scheme application is "Tell us about your interests, including any positions of responsibility held. (400 words max)".

For this question would you recommend explicitly linking anything I mention back to how the skills/interests involved are transferrable to commercial law? Or is that not entirely necessary. Similarly, should I therefore not mention any interests that are not that relatable to a legal career (e.g. music). I'm unsure because they do talk about how they look for 'personality' and 'individuals' in their applicants, so maybe they are looking for interests/skills broader than those useful to law.

BTW: The other questions are "Describe why a career in commercial law appeals to you. What factors and influences have affected your decision to become a lawyer? (250 words max)". " What are your reasons for applying to the RPC Summer Scheme?" (250 Words). "Identify a current commercial issue which is relevant to a City law firm. Please explain why you consider it to be significant to the stakeholders involved." That may change what is relevant to the first question.

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    You don't need to link this to commercial law, just be specific in what you did and recruiters will be able to infer that. Your interests don't have to be related to a legal career either - that's what's going to make you more memorable.

nat237

Dec 9, 2019
    Hi, for the last question to do with linking a commercial issue with a city law firm, does anyone have any links or ideas that can help kick start my research? I really wanted to talk about increasing transatlantic law firm mergers but Im not sure if its as current as it was back in 2010. What do you think?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi, for the last question to do with linking a commercial issue with a city law firm, does anyone have any links or ideas that can help kick start my research? I really wanted to talk about increasing transatlantic law firm mergers but Im not sure if its as current as it was back in 2010. What do you think?
    There are so many current issues such as: the way firms bill their clients, liberalisation of the legal market, legal technology, how to hire and retain talent i.e. agile work and diversity... what do you think @Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

If you're talking about past transatlantic mergers, that does feel a little outdated - unless you're tying in why it's relevant to a City law firm now or discussing something more broader i.e. law firms breaking into the US market.
    There are so many current issues such as: the way firms bill their clients, liberalisation of the legal market, legal technology, how to hire and retain talent i.e. agile work and diversity... what do you think @Jaysen

Good points there - as you said, there are so many to choose from. Note, they don't necessarily have to be issues directly affecting the business of commercial law firms; if there is a commercial story you're interested in, you can also think about how this might be relevant to a City law firm. You can see how this is done in the weekly commercial updates: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....areness-update-february-2020.2126/#post-23883.

Certain stories are easier to connect to law firms than others. If it's a large, ongoing story, you might think about how it could increase the demand for certain types of advice from clients; for example, how uncertain events like Brexit and the US-China trade war increase the demand for particular advisory services. Alternatively, if the issue leads to uncertainty and clients holding off investment, you might note that in times of economic distress, transactional departments (e..g M&A and private equity) might see less work, while departments like litigation and restructuring might see an uptick.

I wouldn't stop there though as talking about how an issue increases or decreases the demand for legal services is quite surface level. You might consider how an issue impacts the advice law firms give to their clients, the way they run their business etc. The same applies if your story is 'smaller', you just may want to zoom in on particular areas like geographies or departments.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    If you're talking about past transatlantic mergers, that does feel a little outdated - unless you're tying in why it's relevant to a City law firm now or discussing something more broader i.e. law firms breaking into the US market.

Good points there - as you said, there are so many to choose from. Note, they don't necessarily have to be issues directly affecting the business of commercial law firms; if there is a commercial story you're interested in, you can also think about how this might be relevant to a City law firm. You can see how this is done in the weekly commercial updates: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....areness-update-february-2020.2126/#post-23883.

Certain stories are easier to connect to law firms than others. If it's a large, ongoing story, you might think about how it could increase the demand for certain types of advice from clients; for example, how uncertain events like Brexit and the US-China trade war increase the demand for particular advisory services. Alternatively, if the issue leads to uncertainty and clients holding off investment, you might note that in times of economic distress, transactional departments (e..g M&A and private equity) might see less work, while departments like litigation and restructuring might see an uptick.

I wouldn't stop there though as talking about how an issue increases or decreases the demand for legal services is quite surface level. You might consider how an issue impacts the advice law firms give to their clients, the way they run their business etc. The same applies if your story is 'smaller', you just may want to zoom in on particular areas like geographies or departments.

Hi Jaysen,

Thank you for your reply.

Another point to add is that you must not forget to link the story to RPC

nat237

Dec 9, 2019
    Hi Jaysen,

Thank you for your reply.

Another point to add is that you must not forget to link the story to RPC

Hi @Jaysen and @S87 thank you so much, thats so great you've definitely helped me get started!

nat237

Dec 9, 2019
    Hi,

Sorry Ive got one more question.

Do you think as a company that is heavy on insurance, I could discuss the recent climate change movement and the fact that many insurance companies are now refusing to provide cover for traditional carbon emitting energies. How it may affect how clients/businesses are wanting to pursue more sustainable business methods and decarbonise their businesses, increasing the demand for these services and generating new opportunities for renewable energies etc. The same pressure might be put on law firms to use more sustainable methods or reduce their carbon footprint.

Or is this more of a future commercial issue and I should stick with something more current? Thanks again for all the help :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi,

Do you think as a company that is heavy on insurance, I could discuss the recent climate change movement and the fact that many insurance companies are now refusing to provide cover for traditional carbon emitting energies. How it may affect how clients/businesses are wanting to pursue more sustainable business methods and decarbonise their businesses, increasing the demand for these services and generating new opportunities for renewable energies etc. The same pressure might be put on law firms to use more sustainable methods or reduce their carbon footprint.

Or is this more of a future commercial issue and I should stick with something more current? Thanks again for all the help :)
    Sounds like a good one to me!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Sounds good to me too. I would also to consider coronavirus which could increase disputes and also clients ie need to think about how to insure their businesses. Therefore, city firms need to creative and think ahead of time when drafting contracts. What do you think @Jaysen ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I wouldn’t choose something that is 10 years old. Try to use something current or at least within the last 6-9 months

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sounds good to me too. I would also to consider coronavirus which could increase disputes and also clients ie need to think about how to insure their businesses. Therefore, city firms need to creative and think ahead of time when drafting contracts. What do you think @Jaysen ?

personally I would avoid this - it’s a little too obvious.

If you are going to talk about it - be more specific. Is it affecting a particular industry more, how are they offsetting the impact?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

great example - it is current (not future) but you can be forward looking with it too. It sounds like it is related to the firm in question, and it’s quite specific and therefore more unique

Reactions: S87

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.