• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

Search results

  1. M

    Cover letter conundrum

    If no name is provided (or none indicated on the graduate recruitment website) a generic one is fine.
  2. M

    Introducing our Moderators

    You just passed 600 guys. That's almost 100 this week!
  3. M

    Past Exam Papers GDL

    I don't know of any past papers but you might find this helpful for revision: https://www.yourgdl.co.uk/YourGDL/index.php
  4. M

    Shearman & Sterling

    The Lawyer would be SO good for this if it was free :( I haven't really found much beyond the firm's website. For the firms they have listed TCLA's insights page is really good for this. I'm just waiting for more to be covered!
  5. M

    UK vs US - The fundamental differences in firms

    This might help: https://interims.ssq.com/news/interim-blog/2016/october/uk-us-law-firms-the-pros-and-cons/#!/
  6. M

    Financial Crisis 2008

    YOU ARE AWESOME!
  7. M

    Financial Crisis 2008

    Ahhh ok that makes sense. I've been looking into it since you posted this morning. I usually go to Reddit for topics like this (their explain like I'm five section can be really good). The first posts here are pretty helpful...
  8. M

    Financial Crisis 2008

    Where did you hear of those topics coming up? This is one of those topics that I struggle a lot with. Not even sure I could give a good answer to what happened!
  9. M

    Open day Interactions.

    I was sooo nervous before my first open day, just like you. But it was honestly fine! I managed to find a couple of people who were also pretty nervous so we tackled the networking together. Everyone is in the same boat and wants to make a good impression. I think once you're there you'll see...
  10. M

    Researching firms: clients and deals

    That deals tracker is perfect. I just wish they updated it!
  11. M

    Law Firm Interview Experiences

    PFO today :(
  12. M

    Commercial Awareness

    I would also add The Economist. They sometimes do in-depth pieces when it's a large M&A transaction. It can be useful when they bring in other perspectives beyond just business.
  13. M

    Perseverance or stupidity?

    I'm glad things worked out. That must have been horrible to finally secure a training contract and then have that taken away from you - I'm not sure how I'd deal with that. But then clearly a silver lining as you ended up at a magic circle firm. Imagine if you had just started a KWM and then it...
  14. M

    Perseverance or stupidity?

    Your journey is incredible. I'll be coming back to your post whenever I need motivation! Do you mind if I ask, how long the period between when you started applying for TCs and when you secured your training contract with a magic circle firm?
  15. M

    TC application or Vac scheme?

    Agreed. I've messed up on a vacation scheme interview and I still got the offer - I don't think I'd get that luxury if it was a training contract interview. I've just been doing a mixture of both. VS apps in December/Jan and then training contract apps in June/July.
  16. M

    Why commercial law? (For non-law students specifically)

    I think it was Reed Smith that asks why you chose law over another career in their application. For that question, I talked about how my legal work experience/attending open days helped me to decide that I preferred law. I also spoke about the intellectual challenge of coming up with a legal...
  17. M

    Cover letter conundrum

    For Jones Day, I didn't do an intro. The word count is really short on that one so it seemed better to go straight into it.
  18. M

    Legal Cheek's Future of Legal Education and Training Conference

    Hi I just wanted to say thank you so much for this! I had an interview recently and they asked about the future of the legal profession and I shared some of the things you talked about here :)!
  19. M

    Mental health for lawyers: the impact of long working hours

    Oh gosh, those really are some long days. If I'm lucky enough to get a TC I will definitely move into London. If you worked late one night (say 3am), do you get to come in a bit later the next day?
  20. M

    Mental health for lawyers: the impact of long working hours

    @Jaysen - can I ask what your hours were like at your law firm? How did you cope with the long hours?