2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mia99

• Jan 5, 2021
    Hi - I haven't done it yet but got a video invite yesterday so I'd be curious to know any tips! Have you done yours yet?
    I haven't done it yet but from what I've gathered the questions will probably be linked to the ones in the application form (or will even be the same ones) and maybe competency-based questions?
    Good luck!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi, hope everyone’s having a good weekend! For “share a non academic interest or achievement and what it’s taught you about yourself”, I wanted to talk about steps I took to rise to a challenge at work which helped me get a promotion. For the second part, would it be ok to explain that I’ve learned that I enjoy working under pressure and that tight deadlines really motivate me. It’s all true, I’m just not sure how to make it not sound like I’m BSing. Thank you!

Hi Veep,

I tend to think that as long as you're being honest about the experience that led you to realising you like the pressure then it probably won't come across as lying because your explanation of the situation alone and how you handled it should demonstrate the aspects that you do enjoy. That being said, something you could do to make it more believable is explaining how you manage workplace/workload related stress generally. I think this then makes it seem more natural that you can also perform well under the pressure.

Hope that helps! :)

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    I haven't done it yet but from what I've gathered the questions will probably be linked to the ones in the application form (or will even be the same ones) and maybe competency-based questions?
    Good luck!
    Don't know if you've done it yet but the questions were basically the same as the application form, and you get a 15 seconds once you've seen the question to prepare and a minute to answer (which isn't v long!) - not convinced I did enough to get through but fingers crossed!

lisa0410

Feb 6, 2020
    Hi everyone, I know that Ashurst's vac scheme recruitment is non-rolling but does anyone know whether it's the same for direct TC applications? I assume it's the same policy but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure because they don't actually specify on the website re direct TCs

Reactions: Amy_22

Tushar

Distinguished Member
    Mar 18, 2020
    Hi everyone, I know that Ashurst's vac scheme recruitment is non-rolling but does anyone know whether it's the same for direct TC applications? I assume it's the same policy but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure because they don't actually specify on the website re direct TCs
    I had emailed the GR team, and they said it's not rolling as such, but they start reviewing the applications towards the deadline.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone know what proportion of its trainees Ashurst recruits from direct TC apps?

I think no firm has a fixed ratio on this. While most firms do tend to recruit heavily from vacation schemes, and this is particularly true for US firms, exactly what percentage and number of people get recruited from the TC/VS process depends heavily on the quality of the candidates applying/on the schemes. I know it's hard to look past the numbers but if you're a strong candidate, you stand as good a chance as any VS candidate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.