Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If I'm being honest, these tests seem to do a pretty good job of pinpointing my weaknesses! I'm very much a 'happy to do anything' sort of person most of the time, and don't really care what the end goal or objective is for me.

Although that's usually more of a personal thing, I care about what it means for a business but not for me - if that makes any sense at all? My points of improvement were to celebrate achievements more etc. It's probably a fair comment, I probably need to be kinder to myself!

After thinking about it I'm a little less worried. I would have been more worried if it came back and said I was a horrible team-worker or something!

That does make sense actually. I’m very much a goal orientated person and because of that I’d say the opposite is true for me, I like when my professional role lines up with at least some of my personal goals/helps personal growth? I’m not entirely sure if that makes sense either haha - this is reminding me why reflecting on your personality for competency/strength based questions is so tough! Also relate to the celebrating achievements one really heavily, I’m actually terrible at just enjoying the moment.

And yes I doubt you have much to be worried about! Completely natural to overthink it but I don’t think firms have a fixed list of what makes and doesn’t make the cut for these kinds of tests anyway :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Will never forget that my HSF test results came back with the exact opposite of what law firms want - disorganised, dislikes complexity, prefers working alone. By some miracle still made it to the AC that year. These tests really just work in mysterious ways 🧐 so I wouldn't be too worried about the results. For what its worth, yours seem pretty positive to me!
    Tbh I'm quite critical of online tests like these - I think they can give very arbitrary results that are quite disconnected from the real world and how candidates actually are in person.

I've also never looked into the research or anything but, instinctively, I can't help but feel these sorts of tests may prejudice neurodivergent groups who may instinctively interpret questions differently and will often respond better to in-person questioning where there is more information available in re body language and tone to allow the candidate to understand how the question ought to be interpreted. As I say, purely based on instinct and I'd like to think that software developers and user companies have thought it through, always just struck me as a potential sticking point.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lawyered, glaw23, MLF and 6 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Tbh I'm quite critical of online tests like these - I think they can give very arbitrary results that are quite disconnected from the real world and how candidates actually are in person.

I've also never looked into the research or anything but, instinctively, I can't help but feel these sorts of tests may prejudice neurodivergent groups who may instinctively interpret questions differently and will often respond better to in-person questioning where there is more information available in re body language and tone to allow the candidate to understand how the question ought to be interpreted. As I say, purely based on instinct and I'd like to think that software developers and user companies have thought it through, always just struck me as a potential sticking point.
    There should be a reasonable adjustment for anyone who is neuro-diverse, relevant to the specific requirements. For some that will mean not taking the test at all, for others it maybe taking out any time restrictions.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hello, it's me again, I am currently working on the following question: When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed?

The first thing that came to my mind was creating flowcharts simplifying a very complicated legislative framework. Quality was important as it would be the basis of further advice and would also be circulated to clients. I'm not sure whether this is the kind of "quality" they are looking for. Do you have any tips for me?

Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, it's me again, I am currently working on the following question: When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed?

The first thing that came to my mind was creating flowcharts simplifying a very complicated legislative framework. Quality was important as it would be the basis of further advice and would also be circulated to clients. I'm not sure whether this is the kind of "quality" they are looking for. Do you have any tips for me?

Many thanks!
    Sounds like a good example to me!

They just want to see something delivered to a high standard - that’s what they mean by quality.

Reactions: Jaysen and Jacob Miller

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips for virtual AC's? I.e in a virtual negotiation exercise, I'm interested in anyone's experience of this/how to avoid interrupting one another etc.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips for virtual AC's? I.e in a virtual negotiation exercise, I'm interested in anyone's experience of this/how to avoid interrupting one another etc.
    General group exercise advice:
    • Try not to be someone completely different to who you are
    • Contribute
    • There are lots of roles and responsibilities to take on - it doesn't matter what you do but find a way to contribute beyong adding your ideas
    • Have an opinion
    • Support each other
    • Keep an eye on the time
    • Try to come to a conclusion/judgement/outcomes
    When delivered virtually:
    • Agree how you will communicate and record (screen, chat function, hands-up function). This could be as simple as showing you have something to say when you are off mute (if you can see when people are muted).
    • Check whether you have any creative tools to utilise (Whiteboard)
    • Give each other more space to discuss things – delays can mean communication can feel slightly awkward/stilted, but try to be patient
    • Don’t be afraid to ask people to repeat things, whether facilitators or other candidates
    • Check with facilitators what you can/can’t use (e.g. accessing websites)
    Some Zoom tips below (but similar advice works on other platforms)

Mute and unmute your mic quickly using the space bar
    If you have to follow just one tip for Zoom then let it be this one. When there are too many participants in a meeting, it’s hard to hear everyone because of cross-talk and background noise. But you can reverse this behaviour by a simple hack. If you are in a Zoom meeting and not speaking then keep your mic on mute. And when you want to talk briefly, simply hold the space bar to enable the mic and speak. Once you release the space bar key, you’ll be muted again.

Screenshots
    Sometimes when on seminars you want to take a screenshot of the slide that is being presented. You can do this by pressing Alt + Shift + T or Command + T

For the vain amongst us... (and yes I have done this...)
    Zoom offers an option to beautify your look. It softens your skin tone and smooths out any blemish on your video display. Overall, it offers a more polished and pleasing appearance to your look while you are in a meeting. So to enable it, open Settings -> Video -> turn on “Touch up my appearance” and you are done.

Change your viewing settings
    When you get started with Zoom for the first time, the app has its default video layout set to ‘Active Speaker’, which shows the person currently talking in the main window. However, if you want, you can switch to the Gallery View to see all the participants on the conference call at the same time. For this, click on Gallery View in the top-right of the screen.

Use the raise hand option
    If you are in a meeting and the organiser is talking and you don't want to interrupt them, you can typically use the "raise hand" option to show you want to speak. Some Zoom meetings will also have a Q&A function too.

Virtual backgrounds:
    You can use virtual backgrounds in Zoom but in a professional setting they can be slightly distracting, especially if they go fuzzy as you move about or if you disappear behind them. Only use them if absolutely necessary, and definitely don't use them to try and impress as this could be perceived as tacky.

Last edited:

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    General group exercise advice:
    • Try not to be someone completely different to who you are
    • Contribute
    • There are lots of roles and responsibilities to take on - it doesn't matter what you do but find a way to contribute beyong adding your ideas
    • Have an opinion
    • Support each other
    • Keep an eye on the time
    • Try to come to a conclusion/judgement/outcomes
    When delivered virtually:
    • Agree how you will communicate and record (screen, chat function, hands-up function). This could be as simple as showing you have something to say when you are off mute (if you can see when people are muted).
    • Check whether you have any creative tools to utilise (Whiteboard)
    • Give each other more space to discuss things – delays can mean communication can feel slightly awkward/stilted, but try to be patient
    • Don’t be afraid to ask people to repeat things, whether facilitators or other candidates
    • Check with facilitators what you can/can’t use (e.g. accessing websites)
    Some Zoom tips below (but similar advice works on other platforms)

Mute and unmute your mic quickly using the space bar
    If you have to follow just one tip for Zoom then let it be this one. When there are too many participants in a meeting, it’s hard to hear everyone because of cross-talk and background noise. But you can reverse this behaviour by a simple hack. If you are in a Zoom meeting and not speaking then keep your mic on mute. And when you want to talk briefly, simply hold the space bar to enable the mic and speak. Once you release the space bar key, you’ll be muted again.

Screenshots
    Sometimes when on seminars you want to take a screenshot of the slide that is being presented. You can do this by pressing Alt + Shift + T or Command + T

For the vain amongst us... (and yes I have done this...)
    Zoom offers an option to beautify your look. It softens your skin tone and smooths out any blemish on your video display. Overall, it offers a more polished and pleasing appearance to your look while you are in a meeting. So to enable it, open Settings -> Video -> turn on “Touch up my appearance” and you are done.

Change your viewing settings
    When you get started with Zoom for the first time, the app has its default video layout set to ‘Active Speaker’, which shows the person currently talking in the main window. However, if you want, you can switch to the Gallery View to see all the participants on the conference call at the same time. For this, click on Gallery View in the top-right of the screen.

Use the raise hand option
    If you are in a meeting and the organiser is talking and you don't want to interrupt them, you can typically use the "raise hand" option to show you want to speak. Some Zoom meetings will also have a Q&A function too.

Virtual backgrounds:
    You can use virtual backgrounds in Zoom but in a professional setting they can be slightly distracting, especially if they go fuzzy as you move about or if you disappear behind them. Only use them if absolutely necessary, and definitely don't use them to try and impress as this could be perceived as tacky.
    Thank you Jessica, this is very informative!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Jess' points are absolute bang on in terms of virtual prep and conduct tips.

If youre looking for some more info on prepping for a negotiation in particular, feel free to check out my Definitive Guide to Assessed Negotiations available via the link in my signature below this comment, if you're not already familiar with it.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am on the webinar with Ashurst right now and the graduate recruitment said that they are having an assessment centre today evening and they are still screening applications this week. This is weird has anyone got an assessment centre with them coming up for March 2023 start.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    I just submitted my Dentons WG (my deadline was the 30th of may) because I am in the middle of finals - will this disadvantage me? I just haven't had time in the midst of my exams to do it as early as id liked

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.